MGEMod, short for My Gaming Edge (stylized as MGE), is a Team Fortress 2 gameplay mod. Players play this game mode primarily to improve their deathmatching skill by repeatedly playing other players in a 1 vs 1 match. The mod is a Sourcemod plugin created by alex based on other dueling mods like Ammomod, kAmmomod, and DuelArena. The mge_training maps were created by CB and swaty .
The goal of MGE is to simulate a one on one deathmatch scenario. Two players are spawned in an arena, which is usually an important area of a competitive map (such as the spire on Badlands or the chokepoint on Granary). The first player to reach 20 points wins. Points are earned whenever a kill is confirmed, whether by fragging or suicide. In specialized arenas, players can choose custom made maps (such as Endif and Ammomod). In these types of matches, the first player to reach 5 kills wins. These maps are made to situate an extended encounter with an enemy. Endif was created for the purposes of practicing air shots, whereas Ammomod allowed players to spawn with infinite loaded ammo, and in some cases, increased amounts of HP for prolonged combat situations.
Entering an arena can be achieved by typing "!add" into the chat and making a selection with a pop-up menu. You may also exit an arena by choosing another map !add or typing !remove respectively. If no one is queued at an arena, the player will wait in the map selected until a second player joins. When a score of 20 is reached, the counter will reset back to 0-0 with the players to clash again. If a third person were to queue to the map, they are forced to wait until the round ends where the loser will sequentially change places with the person waiting.
Different arenas have different class restrictions, but the only classes allowed for general play are the Soldier, Demoman, Scout, and Sniper. Many servers running MGE Mod feature MikeJS’s ELO rating system. Players start with 1,600 points with a change of rating depending on whether they win or lose.
The mod was updated to version 2.0.0 on April 15th 2013, the update consisted mainly of bugfixes and 2v2 arenas were introduced as well. The advanced stats feature was removed in this version to improve performance and reduce server load.
The mod has a variety of commands, they can be used through the chat, whether by prefixing any given command with ! (ex !add 5) which shows the command in chat or prefixing it with / (ex /add 5) which doesn't display the command in chat.
- add OR mgemod [arena number/arena name] - Show the menu of arenas [or directly join an arena]
- remove - Leave your current arena or queue.
- top5 - Display the top 5 rated players.
- hud OR hidehud - Toggle the display of the text hud overlay.
- rank OR stats [player name] - View your rank [or view another player's rank]
- first - Join the first available arena.
- handicap [number] - Reduce your maximum health to a given number, to give a lower skilled opponent a fairer fight. Use "handicap off" to disable.
MGE Mod features three arena types:
- Default: Both players spawn with normal health values or slightly overhealed and are able to fight normally as they would in a real game.
- Ammomod: Both players spawn with multiples of their normal health, allowing for extended practice between kills/deaths.
- Directs/No Splash: Only direct hits with projectiles will deal damage. Missed shots will not register on the map, preventing splash damage.
The arenas that are included are:
- Granary Middle
- Granary Last
- Badlands Middle
- Badlands Spire
- Viaduct Middle
- Waste Middle
- Gullywash Middle
- Snakewater Middle
- Gravel Pit C
- Process Mid
- Turris, a form of King of the Hill, with a single spire in an open arena containing a point.
- Endif, a popular mode from the game QuakeWorld. Players try to pop each other into the air using explosives and then hit them with a direct air shot. Any direct hit results in a kill, but the hit only counts if the player is above a specific height. The minimum height is delineated by a red line around the arena. This mode features unlimited ammo and no reloading.
- BBall, a map where each player tries to take the Intelligence and bring it into the opposing player's "basketball hoop". This can only be achieved by rocket jumping, sticky jumping, or using the Force-A-Nature. Health and ammo are only regenerated after a successful dunk, rather than after a kill. Although, Soldier is a common class restriction to this map, servers in the past have been known to allow for Scout and Demoman usage.
- Ammomod, an arena in which unlimited ammo with no reloading is awarded to both players. The arena is circular and features an extended amount of health, allowing for extended engagements.
- Ammomod [MGE], uses the same arena as Ammomod, but you are limited to your Max Hit Points and the winner is determined by the first player to obtain 20 frags.
- No Splash, a circular combat arena where players may only deal damage directly from projectile contact. Soldier and Demoman are the only allowed classes. The winner is determined by the first player to obtain 3 frags.
- MGEMod plugin information and download
- Commentated video stream of the Drunken Brawl! MGEMod Tournament, Soldier bracket