|Speed:||100% (300 units/s)|
The Sniper is a playable class in Team Fortress Classic. He possesses average health and the weakest armor. He moves at a medium speed, and his weapons are designed to destroy all enemies at long-range.
The class is ineffective in a direct firefight, so Snipers should always try to stay away from close combat as they have a large advantage over all classes from a distance.
- Use your Sniper Rifle often.
- Do not attempt to use your Sniper Rifle when forced into close combat. Instead, use your Nail Gun or Auto Rifle at close range; however, using the Auto Rifle can consume all the Sniper's ammo for his Sniper Rifle, as it shares ammo reserves (since it is a Sniper Rifle turned to automatic fire mode).
- Avoid alerting enemies by hiding your laser sight until you're ready to fire.
- Always aim for the head.
- A Sniper does not need to kill every target to be effective. For example, Soldiers rely on their health for mobility. Simply damaging them may make it impossible for them to effectively push for the flag until they retreat in order to refill their health.
- Any Sniper Rifle shot to an enemy's legs will lower their running speed. Use this if you do not have the proper angle to headshot them nor the time to charge a fatal shot before they move out of your line of sight.
- Depending on the status of friendly fire on a server, Snipers can use the Sniper Rifle to launch teammates great distance using a tactic called Sniper Jumping; however, it can be viewed as griefing unless a Sniper is asked to boost a player.
Class Skill: Toggles Sniper Rifle zoom.
Quake Console Aliases:
|autozoom||Toggle the automatic zooming of the Sniper Rifle.|
|Notes / Special Abilities|
|Sniper Rifle||Shells||75||N/A||75-375 on bodyshot.
150-750 on headshot.
|Capable of headshooting; must hold down primary fire key to strengthen shot; must be standing still or moving slowly to shoot. Shares magazine with Automatic Rifle|
|Automatic Rifle||Shells||75||N/A||8||Shares ammo reserve with Sniper Rifle|
|Nailgun||Nails||100||N/A||9||Used as a backup weapon or a replacement for the Automatic Rifle as it does more damage over time plus Nailgun ammunition is independent from the Sniper Rifle.|
|Damage Range||Notes / Special Abilities|
|Hand Grenade||4||145-50||Deals massive damage on a four second fuse.|
(Quake Team Fortress only)
- According to the Team Fortress 2 comic, The Naked and the Dead, the Sniper from Team Fortress Classic's name is Virgil.
The QWTF Sniper.
The Classic Sniper as seen in the Catch-Up comic.
The Classic BLU Sniper as seen in A Cold Day in Hell.
- The Sniper in Team Fortress 2.