Give 'em hell, boys!
— The Soldier leading a competitive team
An example of the Tournament Mode heading, which appears during set-up so that both teams may contract the settings of the game.
Tournament Mode is a game mode released with the February 28, 2008 Patch. Tournament Mode allows for players to customize the basic settings of competitive matches. Similarly to Medieval Mode and Highlander, Tournament Mode is applicable to all existing game modes.
Tournament Mode can be enabled with the server variable
mp_tournament. When enabled, Tournament Mode creates a small heading at the top of the HUD, with a display of the win conditions for the current game. In addition, pressing F4 during the setup phase allows a player to change the name of their team from RED or BLU to anything under five letters. The team name will appear where RED and BLU respectively would on the scoreboard, which is accessed by pressing TAB.
When enabled, there are no player limits for either team. Players are to join their predetermined team, and wait until all other players are accounted for. During this time, players are free to explore the current map and interact with the other team. Once both teams have their players and have both set their team status to "Ready", the game will begin. Teams are maintained throughout rounds, and autobalance is disabled.
Tournament Mode is typically used for competitive matches, but standard server admins are able to enable it at any time.
March 6, 2008 Patch
- Initial release of Tournament mode (mp_tournament).
- UI for handling team naming, ready mode, and win results.
- Disables team player limits, autobalancing, and intermission.
March 6, 2008 Patch
- Added mp_tournament_restart command to be used with Tournament Mode (mp_tournament). This can be used at any time to return to the "Waiting for Teams" state.
- When a tournament match ends it now returns to the "Waiting for Teams" state.
March 20, 2008 Patch
- Hitting F4 while the tournament mode "Ready" countdown is active won't automatically set a team to "Not Ready".
- Fixed auto-screenshots not being taken at the end of the map during tournament mode.
- Fixed gates being closed during the pre-round time during tournament mode.
April 29, 2008 Patch (Gold Rush Update)
- Added Stopwatch mode to Tournament mode.
- Automatically used on Attack/Defense maps.
- Tournament mode no longer ends matches early if the time limit is nearly up when a new round starts.
July 14, 2009 Patch
- Fixed tournament mode being interrupted if mp_timelimit hits before both stopwatch rounds have been played.
February 3, 2011 Patch
- Fixed seeing an empty alert tray under the stopwatch timer.
- Fixed a bug where the time for the tournament mode stopwatch wasn't being displayed.
- Fixed the countdown when both teams are ready always reading "0 seconds"
February 14, 2011 Patch
- Fixed players getting set bonuses applied on tournament servers when the server is restricting the player's weapons using the item_whitelist.
January 20, 2016 Patch
- Fixed not seeing team names in the scoreboard on dedicated servers using tournament mode.
May 11, 2016 Patch
- Fixed team Spectator using the wrong name in tournament mode.
- If a dead player toggles "Ready" on, their corpse's lips will speak the ready voiceline. Additionally, if they change class, their corpse will speak the voiceline of the new class.