Meet the Spy
|Meet the Spy|
|Released:||May 19, 2009|
|[Shot opens on ringing alarm bell; sirens and klaxons play in the background]
Soldier: "A RED Spy is in the base!?"
[Intruder Alert begins to play. The Soldier reaches from off-screen and pulls a Shotgun off a rack of weapons. Cut to the Soldier dashing down the stairs and through the 2Fort sublevel while saying "Hut, Hut, Hut!" with every step he takes]
The Administrator: "Protect the briefcase!"
Soldier: "We need to protect the briefcase!"
[Camera pans to reveal the BLU Scout trying to open the code-locked 'Briefcase Room' door]
Scout: "Yo, a lil' help here!?"
[The Soldier pushes the Scout aside and begins to 'decode' the combination]
Soldier: "All right, all right, I got it. Stand back son. 1, 1, 1, umm... 1!"
Scout: Let's go, let's go-
[Heavy shoulder-barges the door, destroying it. The three of them are sent tumbling and screaming into the Intelligence Room]
Heavy: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA- [screaming]"
[The Scout reaches the desk to discover the briefcase is perfectly safe]
Scout: [while screaming, he notices the briefcase] "AAAAAHHHH- Hey, it's still here!"
Heavy: "-AAAAalright then."
[Meet the Spy' Title Card]
[Cut back to the Spy, carrying the dead Sniper towards the desk]
Spy: "I see the briefcase is safe."
Soldier: "Safe and sound, mm-hmm."
Scout: "Yeah, it is!"
Spy: "Tell me... did anyone happen to kill a RED Spy on the way here?"
[The other three BLUs shake their heads and shrug]
Spy: No? Then we still have a problem.
[He deposits the Sniper's body on the desk, revealing a bloody Knife in his back]
Soldier: "...and a knife."
[The Scout approaches and removes the knife]
Scout: "Oooh, big problem. I've killed plenty of Spies; they're dime-a-dozen back-stabbing scumbags - like you!"
[The Scout attempts to manipulate the knife like the Spy, only to cut himself with the blunt end on the finger and drop it]
Scout: "Ow! No offense."
Spy: "If you managed to kill them, I assure you, they were not like me." [The Spy deftly retrieves the knife and flicks it shut, handing it back to the Scout] "And nothing... nothing like the man loose inside this building."
Scout: "What're you? President of his fan club?"
[The Soldier and Heavy chuckle while the Spy turns to face the Scout]
Spy: "No... that would be your mother!"
[The Spy reveals a folder and slaps it down on the table, revealing several compromising photographs of the RED Spy and the Scout's mother while Right Behind You plays]
Scout: [stammers out of shock and disbelief]
Spy: Indeed, and now he's here to f**k us! So listen up boy, or pornography starring your mother will be the second worst thing that happens to you today."
[The Soldier and Heavy examine the photographs. The Heavy leans over and shows the Soldier one photo in particular]
[The Scout frantically retrieves the photos as the Spy lights and smokes a cigarillo in the foreground]
Scout: "Gimme that!"
Spy: "This Spy has already breached our defenses..."
[Fade to the RED Spy, creeping through the Hydro tunnels. He pauses at a corner, as the camera pulls back to reveal a BLU Level 3 Sentry Gun with its Engineer. He slides a Sapper across the floor, disarming and destroying the Sentry Gun immediately]
Engineer: "Sentry Down!"
[The BLU Engineer throws his Wrench down and frantically reaches for his Pistol, only to have the Spy shoot him in the head with the Revolver. The dead Engineer crashes through a door and the Spy steps over him and fires at a target off-screen]
[Cut back to the BLU Intelligence Room. The BLU Spy leans over the dead Sniper, gesturing frantically.]
Spy: "You've seen what he's done to our colleagues!"
[Fade to the BLU Sniper, still alive and sniping from a dusty attic. The RED Spy creeps up on him and steps on a creaking floorboard, alerting the Sniper, who engages the Spy with the Kukri. A struggle ensues, and the Sniper is ultimately backstabbed]
[Cut back to BLU Intelligence Room]
Spy: "And worst of all, he could be any one of us..."
Medic: "Raus, raus!"
[The Spy breaks the Medic's arm, disarming him. Close-up on the Spy's face as he disguises as the Medic, sans spectacles]
Medic: [gasps] "Nein..."
[The Spy kills the Medic with a well-placed chop to the throat, knocking off his spectacles, which he catches and wears, completing his disguise]
[Cut back to BLU Intel Room. The BLU Spy looks frantic]
Spy: "He could be in this very room! He could be you! He could be me! He could even be-"
[The Spy is cut off as his head explodes violently. The camera switches to the Soldier, Shotgun in hand, with a confused Heavy and a panicked Scout]
Scout: "Whoa, whoa, whoa!"
Soldier: "What? It was obvious!" [The Soldier pumps his Shotgun, discarding the spent shell.] "He's the RED Spy! Watch, he'll turn red any second now..."
[The Soldier and Heavy approach the dead Spy, with The Soldier prodding the Spy's foot with his Shotgun]
Soldier: "Any second now... See? Red! Oh, wait... that's blood."
Heavy: "So, we still got problem..."
Soldier: "Big problem...
[The Scout lingers behind, his expression sinister. He approaches the Soldier and Heavy, retrieving the knife he pocketed earlier, and flicking it open easily]
Soldier: All right, who's ready to go find this Spy?"
[As the Scout approaches, he flickers and melts, revealing himself to be the RED Spy]
Spy: "Right behind you."
[Team Fortress 2 ending flourish music plays, with the stabbing of the Soldier and Heavy punctuating the beat of the tune.]
[Petite Chou-Fleur plays]
[Fade to the scattered photos of the Scout's mother. The RED Spy retrieves one of them and smiles wistfully]
Spy: "Ahh... moi petit cho-fleur"
[The RED Spy walks off with the BLU team's intel in tow]
Meet the Spy was leaked on May 17, 2009 due to a YouTube bug which allowed iPhones to view videos marked as "Private." This inspired a series of posts on the official blog, and Valve awarded themselves a "Corporate Achievement" called "Welcome to the Internets," with the description "Fail to understand what Private means on YouTube."
In the officially released version, one of the alert panels reads "Leaked Video." It originally read "Lost Memory." Also, the Administrator only says "Intruder alert!" once instead of twice as in the official release.
- On the title card, the white knife is the kill icon for the knife. However, it has a drop of liquid near the tip, which does not appear in the game.
- The title card displays "COPYRIGHT LOLOLOL" on the bottom right corner, a recurring joke throughout the "Meet the Team" videos.
- This video takes place at the same time as the WAR! Update comic does, but from the Administrator's perspective.
- The video takes place in a modified version of the map 2Fort. While most of the action occurs in BLU's Intelligence room, the Soldier is alerted in a normally non-existent security room, and is seen descending stairs despite taking the ramped path.
- In the Russian version, when the RED Spy destroys the BLU Engineer's Sentry Gun, the Engineer does not say "Sentry Down", unlike in other versions, the Medic and Sniper fights are silenced to an extent, when the BLU Spy swears there is no bleep.
- The tracks "Right Behind You", "Petite Chou-Fleur", and "Intruder Alert" are featured in this video, after which they were patched into TF2's soundtrack.
- The alarm bell and signal board at the beginning is an "Alarm-O-Tron 5000". These alerts are displayed below. The alerts in bold display the specific warnings which were activated and lit during the video.
EMERGENCY ON CAP INTRUDER ALERT IS FIRED BLUE DEMOMAN DEPRESSED ALL CLEAR RED SCOUT EXPLODING ON FIRE BLUE ENGINEER ABOUT TO EXPLODE VAPORIZED TEAM UPDATE NEW MISSION ON BREAK BLUE SNIPER IS DRUNK IN SURGERY NEEDS A RIDE RED MEDIC RED HEAVY RED PYRO DEFENESTRATED SMELLS RED SNIPER DROWNED BEHIND YOU! IS A MAN OWNS BASE BACKSTABBED STOLE A CAR BLUE SPY FOUND DRACULA IS A WOMAN BLUE SOLDIER AGAIN HIT BY TRAIN RED ENGINEER LOST BRIEFCASE RED DEMOMAN ABOVE YOU! IS A ROBOT LOOK OUT SABOTAGE NEEDS AMMO ON TOILET ELECTROCUTED BLUE SCOUT HAS EVIL TWIN RED SPY RED SOLDIER PUSHING CART IN BASE RED SPY BLUE MEDIC SLEEPING WOUNDED NEEDS BACKUP EXPLODED HUNGRY LEAKED VIDEO BLUE HEAVY BLUE PYRO SMOTHERED JARATE HAS BRIEFCASE OUTSIDE BASE NEEDS ROOMMATE MANGLED OPENED BRIEFCASE LOST DRACULA
- The Alarm-O-Tron 5000 board also continues the question about the Pyro's identity. The alerts "Is a Man", "Is a Woman" and "Is a Robot" are on the board below the RED Pyro sign.
- The Alarm-O-Tron 5000 board has a reference to Meet The Spy being leaked by Valve employees with the alert "Leaked Video".
- The Alarm-O-Tron 5000 board makes an appearance in the map Double Cross in a locked-off room beside both Intelligence rooms, although it has a different layout of panels.
- The Alarm-O-Tron 5000 board lists the RED Spy twice.
- The BLU Team Classes are written as 'BLUE' on the Alarm-O-Tron 5000.
- The Alarm-O-Tron 5000 board lists that the BLU Scout has an "evil twin", which further hints that the Scout is the RED Spy.
- When the Soldier is attempting to input the door code, the Scout is holding a Sandman instead of his standard Bat. When the video was released, Spies could not display unlockable weapons in-game.
- Because the code to the door is 1-1-1-1, the 1 button on the number pad is noticeably more worn out than the other numbers.
- When the Soldier, Scout and Heavy meet outside the Intelligence room, they appear to be at the entrance closest to the L-Shaft. When the group enters the Intelligence room, they do so through the opposite door.
- The Civilian's Umbrella makes an appearance at 0:36 next to the filing cabinets in the Intelligence room.
- On the cork board next to the filing cabinets, there is a photo of Saxton Hale, the CEO of Mann Co.
- When the Scout pulls the knife out of Sniper's back, the safe handle and the tip of the blade clip through Sniper's back.
- When the Sniper's body is first seen being held by the BLU Spy, he has no glasses on. They reappear during the Spy's phrase "You've seen what he's done to our colleagues".
- The Spy's folder, seen at 1:13 and the title card, is labeled "Top Secret: Scout's Mom."
- Leading into the scenario with the Sniper, the BLU Spy's cigarette moves oddly in his hand, despite keeping his hand still.
- The Sniper wears the Trophy Belt. This was a teaser as hats had not been revealed when the video came out. This was one of the several hat teasers during this trailer, including the Heavy's Football Helmet, which is on top of a filing cabinet in the Intelligence room.
- All three of the Sniper's items from the Sniper vs Spy Update make an appearance:
- After the Sniper vs. Spy Update, the scar from the BLU Sniper's fight with the RED Spy was added to the skin of the Sniper's in-game model.
- As the BLU Medic attacks the RED Spy with his Bone Saw, he yells "raus! raus!". That is German and means "[get] out! [get] out!". (Heard in-game as a Battle Cry response.)
- When the RED Spy is dispatching and subsequently disguising as the BLU Medic, both of the Medi Gun backpacks are missing. However, as the Spy dons the Medic's glasses, the backpack has strangely appeared.
- During this scene, a wooden crate from Half-Life 2 is visible in the background.
- The RED Spy is shown to be able to slide a Sapper across the floor to disable the BLU Engineer's Sentry Gun. In-game, unless any mods are used, Sappers can only be placed within melee-range.
- The BLU Engineer and the BLU Medic had used their left hand to hold the Pistol and Bone Saw.
- When the Soldier kills the BLU Spy, the Shotgun he uses makes the same firing sound the Spy's Revolver does, rather than the standard Shotgun firing sound.
- The BLU Scout shows many hints to his identity, such as not knowing the door password, looking at the Sniper's back at 0:42 to see if his knife is still present, at 2:42 making sure no one is watching what he is about to do, when the Scout accidentally closes the Spy's knife on his hand, his finger is caught between the blunt edge of the blade and the handle, and would not have been cut.
- When the RED Spy is killing the Heavy and Soldier, the Heavy and Soldier's grunts are timed almost perfectly with the ending flourish.
- The French phrase spoken by the RED Spy at the end is "Ah, ma petit chou-fleur." which means approximately "Ah, my little cauliflower." (A correct sentence would be "Ah, mon petit chou-fleur.") In the video, the phrase is used as an endearment toward loved ones, although it's rarely used in French culture.