From Team Fortress Wiki
| Well (Capture the Flag)
| Basic Information
| Map Type: || Capture the Flag
| File name: || |
| Developer(s): || Valve
| Map Info
| Environment: || Industrial
| Setting: || Daylight, sunny
| Deep Water: || Yes
| Hazards: || Train
| Map Items
| Health Kits:
|| ×4 • ×8
| Ammo Boxes:
|| ×8 • ×10
...gonna take down to the pain train station in train town...
— The Demoman drunkenly trying to remember to catch a train
Well is a Capture the Flag map and was released in the January 25, 2008 Patch as the first official map added after the game's initial release. The map is a variant of its Control Point form. The major difference between Well (Capture the Flag) and Well (Control Point) is the middle building present in has been completely removed and replaced with a much smaller shed, with only one train passing through the center rather than two. The map is symmetrical from both sides of the train track. Another noticeable difference are the respawn rooms. In the CTF version they are only found where the second Control Point would be, in other words not far from the entrance to the team's base.
To win your team must capture the opposing team's Intelligence until you reach the game's capture limit (default limit is 3) whilst preventing the enemy from achieving the same.
- Rocket Silo (Intelligence room) - The furthest rooms in RED and BLU's bases. The central feature in this room is the launch platform on which the Intelligence sits (floating on a small cart-like object). Above this is a massive rocket, which gives the impression that it is about to be prepped for launch. There are two staircases on either side of the circular platform leading up from the ground floor. The room may be accessed by four entrances, two of which lead from the 'Attic' to the catwalks around the perimeter of the room, and above the rocket launch platform. A medium medpack and Ammo crate sit behind the Intelligence platform, near the back wall, and small ammo packs lie at the far left and right sides of the room.
- Attic (Third Floor) - The third floor of each team's base. A wooden floor runs the perimeter of the room, leading to a brickwork corridor to the Sniper Deck on one side, and an open doorway to the command room overlooking the Silo on the other. The center of the room opens up to the ground floor, and is popular with Engineers for setting up Sentry Guns to cover the area, due to the guns being difficult to hit from the ground floor. Medium Medpacks and Ammo Crates lie at either side of the room.
- Sniper Deck (Second Floor) - A long, windowed corridor that runs the width of each team's base. Most commonly referred to as the Sniper Deck simply because of its popularity with Snipers. A brickwork corridor in the center leads to the attic, and a corridor at either end leads to the Atrium catwalks. From the Sniper Deck most of the yard can be seen, including the enemies Sniper deck.
- Ground Floor (The Atrium) - The main room of each team's base. Two wide corridors leading to large roll-up doors are situated at each end of the room. A small room sits between the corridors, with a staircase to the Sniper Deck and a one-way hatch leading to the moat outside the base. The spawn rooms are at either end of The Atrium; (coming from the Silo) the Right Spawn-Room faces square-on with the roll-up door at the end of the corridor, whereas the Left Spawn-Room door is set perpendicular to roll-up door. The area that would normally house the control point on cp well is replaced with wooden walls. Catwalks run the perimeter of the rear portion of the atrium, leading to the Sniper deck by way of short corridors to the left and right.
- The Yard - The area between RED and BLU's bases. Outside each base is a deep moat, accessible from inside the base by way of a one-way hatch. Two bridges outside each roll-up door cross the moat, leading to the central area of the yard. This area is dominated by parked traincars, stacks of crates, and a single, long shed that covers a set of rails. A single train passes through this shed on a semi-regular basis, making the interior of the shed hazardous. Two small ammo crates and 2 medium medpacks lie at either end of the shed.
The trainhouse in the center.
January 25, 2008 Patch
- Added Well (Capture the Flag) to the game.
February 14, 2008 Patch
- Fixed trains not starting on map spawn.
- Removed cap association from red spawns that were spamming console.
- Added ctf_well to the default mapcycle.txt file.
- Added ctf_well to the default motd.txt file.
March 20, 2008 Patch
- Updated ctf_well with several exploit fixes.
June 19, 2008 Patch (The Pyro Update)
- Added a route from the forward central foyer up to the battlements.
- Removed central building, reduced overall map length.
- Redistributed health and ammunition throughout the bases.
- Using the Sticky Jumper, players can launch themselves to the top barrier of the map allowing the player to be perched on top of the skybox. Also, a player can use this technique to leave the playing area of the map entirely.
- While there are features that have been added and removed from the map, TF2's Well (Capture the Flag) design is more true to the original Team Fortress Classic map.