Operation Titanium Tank
Operation Titanium Tank was a community Mann vs Machine mission making competition and tour event organized and hosted by Potato's Custom MvM Servers that was announced on November 17, 2017 and concluded on August 22nd, 2018.
The tour was rebooted as Operation Titanium Tank: Reforged in support of the IRONAID charity drive for COVID-19 relief efforts, on July 9, 2020, and concluded September 30, 2020.
The 2017 Competition
The first part of the original event was a mission making contest. Every contestant that had a valid popfile (more than one mission per contestant was also allowed) before the 1st of January, 2018, would receive the event's medal while the six overall best missions would be used for a community created tour called "Titanium Tank" which opened up to the public about a month later. The six (with one tie making it the top 7) overall best also got rewarded an extra event medal for their efforts, bringing the total amount of possible medals one can own, including the medal for completing the tour itself, up to three.
The competition concluded with 56 participants who submitted a total of 68 missions. The 6 winning entries are displayed below.
|1st||Dockyard||Spyware Shipping||(ATG) Jakapoa||91|
|3rd||Downtown||Entertainer’s Entourage||Star Bright||86|
|Notes||† The tie was broken by the beta testers voting on their personal preference out of the two missions. Both creators still received an extra medal.|
Starting from February 1, 2018, players were able to play the six missions and complete the Titanium Tank tour. The campaign ended on August 22nd, 2018, extended from its original stated deadline. The campaign was rebooted on July 9, 2020, with the same rules, and new rewards. The original text of the rules is documented here for archival purposes.
- The difficulty of the tour is advanced mode, since the contest asked for advanced mode difficulty missions. The missions will be challenging, but should not be too hard. If you are capable of completing Mecha Engine or Two Cities, you shouldn't have problems completing this community tour. We recommend not attempting the tour if you are incapable of handling MvM at an advanced difficulty, unless you have a group of friends to help complete it with.
- The tour must be completed on our MvM servers - We do not accept completion records from other community servers. We cannot verify if other servers are running MvM under the same vanilla conditions that we are (just like how mann up is restricted to Valve servers), nor can we be (re)assured that the progress data reported from other server are genuine and honest
- The tour deadline for Titanium Tank is May 31st, 2018 @ 11:59 PM ET
- The rules of the tour completion are different here than in Mann Up. See the completion rules below.
- Unlike in Mann Up, merely reaching a mission to victory does not count as a mission completion. The server does not record mission completions – it only tracks individual wave completions.
- You must complete each wave of each mission in the tour from start to finish without leaving. You must be on the defending team (team RED) before the wave starts, be on the defending team when the wave ends, and not drop out in the middle (even for a reconnect).
- If you start a wave but leave in the middle, join in the middle of a wave and finish it, or you fail a wave, you will not receive credit for that wave. You will need to replay it in full to earn credit. We want all tour players to experience the community’s work entirely (to support the creators).
- The server will inform you if you have earned a wave credit for the wave you just completed. You can also check which credits you have and need to earn on the tour progress website.
- The Titanium Tank Medal will drop in your inventory once you earn your last wave credit and leave the server. If the tour website reports 100% completion, but you do not receive your medal, contact an admin.
The 2020 Charity
The 2020 event was host to a charity drive for IRONAID. Players could donate varying amounts through item or monetary donations to receive donor medals. Donating at least 5 USD earned the player the Gilded Giver medal, donating at least 10 USD earned the player the Chromatic Cardioid medal, and donating at least 15 USD earned the player both medals.
Players who participated in the 2017 competition, or fully completed the original tour, were awarded a Titanium Tank Participant Medal. An extra one was also given to the winners of the competition.
Players who fully completed the 2020 Reforged version of the tour received a Replica Titanium Tank medal, which is visually identical to the original Titanium Tank Participant Medal.
The Gilded Giver and Chromatic Cardioid donation medals reuse the same models as the Hopeful Heart and Boundless Heart from Operation Madness vs Machines, respectively; however, the Gilded Giver initially drops with a special golden color applied that is not otherwise available in-game.
Each of the donation medals has two styles, named "Normal" and "Gem Only". The "Gem Only" style displays only the gemstones, without the surrounding metal frames.
The donation medals were contributed to the Steam Workshop by NeoDement, Sntr, Erikku, sigsegv, Jakapoa, Pelipoika, interrobang, Mayor Rev, Z-Ben, kratos, Nuke, Hydrogen, Hyperion, Potato's MvM Server (Steam account not in dictionary), DaanBox, Swordstone, and Geel.
- Titanium Tank Participant Medal / Replica Titanium Tank
- Gilded Giver (Normal)
- Gilded Giver (Gem Only)
- Chromatic Cardioid 2020 (Normal)
- Chromatic Cardioid 2020 (Gem Only)
- Gilded Giver
- Chromatic Cardioid
- Added the Titanium Tank Participant Medal( )
- [Undocumented] Added the Titanium Tank: Reforged community medals.
- Fixed the name of the Replica Titanium Tank 2020 medal
- Attempting to use the "Restore?" option on the Titanium Tank Gilded Giver 2020 medal with its default paint will cause a string error where the paint's name should normally be.
- Viewing the Titanium Tank Gilded Giver 2020 medal with its default paint through the Steam inventory will display the medal's backpack item with a bugged paint can overlay.
- Operation Canteen Crasher
- Operation Madness vs Machines
- Operation Memes vs Machines
- Operation Mashed Mediocrity
- Operation Titanium Tank website
- Titanium Tank Tour Progress Database
- Titanium Tank Tour PDF
- Steam Group
- 'Introducing Operation Titanium Tank!'
- 'What do the winners get?'
- 'Phase 2!'
- Reddit Announcement Post
- Operation Titanium Tank RETURNS! (for a limited time)