The Name Tag is a tool item. It is represented as a blank tag bound by a string.
Using this tool in conjunction with a compatible item in the backpack allows the player to bestow a customized name (of 40 or fewer characters) upon that item. Using a Name Tag with an item that has already been given a custom name will rename the item. Name Tags are consumable items, and may only be used once. A named item can be reverted to its original state by selecting the item in the backpack and pressing the 'Restore' button. In doing so, however, the Name Tag will not be returned to the player.
Renaming an item will preserve the item quality, whilst placing quotation marks around the new name. Any prefixes such as "The", "Vintage", "Strange" or "Unusual" will be overwritten; this includes craft numbers. In order to preserve the same style as unmodified items, title case should be used, such as capitalization of the initial letter of each word. When a Name Tag is used on a Strange weapon, the weapon will display its kill count and rank above the description.
If a stock item is renamed, it becomes a Unique item and the player will subsequently find it as an item drop. The newly named item will exist separate to the original stock item. The player can then choose which item to equip through the character loadout menu. If the name of a stock weapon is reverted, the weapon will remain in the player's inventory. As of the Über Update, re-named/described Stock weapons can be used to make Scrap metal.
- Name Tags cannot be used on craft items like Reclaimed Metal, any edition of Mann Co. Supply Crates, Dueling Badges, Noise Makers, Strange Parts, weapons being used on a test run from the Mann Co. Store, all Tour of Duty Badges, other Name Tags, Stock Disguise Kits, Stock Destruction PDAs, nor Mann Co. Supply Crate Keys.
- Renamed items can use most Unicode characters (except emojis), including other alphabets and many nonstandard fonts.
- Renamed items do not properly appear on disguised Spies. For instance, if a Spy disguises as a Medic wielding a renamed Medi Gun, the customized name will not show up on the disguise when an enemy looks at them.
- Name Tags used on weapons that became Vintage following the March 15, 2011 Patch cannot be removed.
- Community items with a Normal variant that were received before Name Tags were introduced cannot be named.
- The item description is missing a period at the end.