The Announcer refers to a wide assortment of informative voice cues heard by players on each team during gameplay. While each class character contributes event voice over cues, the Announcer has currently always been a non-player character.
The Administrator, who is portrayed as the voice that commands both the RED and BLU teams to accomplish their distinctive goals, acts as the Announcer in a vast majority of released maps, so much so that the Announcer and Administrator have been largely synonymous in discussions of Gameplay and the Storyline.
The Announcer provides verbal cues of various game events meant for the entire team, including, but not limited to:
- A reminder that the setup will end in 60, 30, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 second(s)
- A reminder that the round will end in 5 minutes, as well as 60, 30, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 second(s)
- Team wipeouts (all players on a team are waiting for respawn in Casual Mode or Mann vs. Machine)
- An alert when the match has gone into Overtime
- An announcement of one of several match outcomes, including victory, defeat, or a stalemate
- An alert when a Control Point is being captured or contested
- An alert when the Payload cart is close to a checkpoint
- An alert when an enemy or friendly player has secured, dropped, or captured either Intelligence
- An announcement of a team scramble
- In Mann vs. Machine: prominent cues such as the status and outcome of a wave, status of the bomb, and introduction of certain enemies
Particularly in Halloween maps, other official characters have been introduced to perform the announcer role. Some of the Administrator's voice cues may play on top of who the unique map announcer is.
- Merasmus is the announcer of Ghost Fort and other Halloween maps. Being the second most common announcer, his particular vocal role is as an adversarial boss and malevolent host. Merasmus also announces availability and progress on Merasmission and Halloween Contracts.
- The Bombinomicon cameos as an announcer, usually accompanied by Merasmus. Bombinomicon announces without Merasmus in Helltower when players enter Hell.
- Blutarch and Redmond Mann, with the supporting role of their father, are announcers on Helltower.
- Since the Gun Mettle Campaign, Miss Pauling has been announcing availability and progress on Contracts.
Starting with Watergate, as more community-created maps featured distinctive objectives have been added to the game, certain community announcers are also introduced as map features.
The Administrator, the main announcer for Team Fortress 2.
Merasmus the Wizard, host of several haunted maps.
The Bombinomicon, book of forbidden knowledge ... and underworld host.
Redmond Mann, owner of RED.
Blutarch Mann, owner of BLU.
Miss Pauling communicates to the player if Contracts are available.