The Announcer refers to a wide assortment of informative voice cues heard by players on each team during gameplay. While each class character contributes event voice over cues, the Announcer has currently always been a non-player character. The Administrator's role is portrayed as the urgent voice that commands both the RED and BLU teams to accomplish their distinctive goals.
The Announcer role is almost always occupied by the Administrator of TF Industries in normal play. Her distinctive voice can vary from superficial anger or excitement to sour discontent. Her job is to monitor for both Red and Blu through mounted video cameras and supply game-related information (listed below) for whichever team the player is on. The Administrator acts as the Announcer in a vast majority of released maps, so much so that the Announcer and Administrator have been largely synonymous in discussions of Gameplay and the Storyline.
The Announcer provides verbal cues of various game events meant for the entire team, including, but not limited to:
- A reminder that the setup will end in 60, 30, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 second(s).
- A reminder that the round will end in 5 minutes, 2 minutes (Coldfront only), 60, 30, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 second(s).
- Team wipeouts (all players on a team are waiting for respawn).
- An alert when the match has gone into Overtime.
- An announcement of one of several match outcomes, including victory, defeat, or a stalemate.
- An alert when a Control Point is being captured or contested.
- An alert when the Payload cart is close to a checkpoint.
- An alert when an enemy or friendly player has secured, dropped, or captured either Intelligence.
- An announcement of a team scramble.
- In Mann vs. Machine: prominent cues such as the status and outcome of a wave, status of the bomb, and introduction of certain enemies.
Particularly in Halloween maps, other characters have been introduced to perform the Announcer role. Some of the Administrator's voice cues may play on top of who the unique map Announcer is.
- Merasmus is the Announcer of Ghost Fort and other Halloween maps. Being the second most common Announcer, his particular vocal role is as an adversarial boss and malevolent host. Merasmus also announces availability and progress on Merasmission and Halloween Contracts.
- The Bombinomicon cameos as an Announcer, usually accompanied by Merasmus. Bombinomicon announces without Merasmus in Helltower when players enter Hell.
- Blutarch and Redmond Mann, with the supporting role of their father, are Announcers on Helltower.
- Text-to-speech voice WillFromAfar announces game mode-specific events in Watergate.
- Since the Gun Mettle Campaign, Miss Pauling has been announcing availability and progress on Contracts.
- Davy Jones is the Announcer on Cursed Cove.
- A Farmer announces on Farmageddon.
- An astronaut announces on Bread Space.
Merasmus the Wizard, host of several haunted maps.
The Bombinomicon, book of forbidden knowledge ... and underworld host.