|Map type||Payload Race|
|File name:|| |
|Release date:||October 28, 2015|
|Last updated:||November 6, 2015|
|Hazards:|| Pitfall, Pumpkin bombs,|
Skeletons, Ghost, Lava
|Health Kits:||×4 • ×7 • ×1|
|Ammo Boxes:||×5 • ×5 • ×3|
Helltower is a Payload Race map added in the Scream Fortress 2013 Update. It is the Halloween-themed version of Hightower. Players who own a Spell Book may equip it and be able to pick up and cast the many Magic Spells that appear on this map. Occasionally, the Soul Gargoyle spawns for randomly selected players on the server to find and pick up. During Halloween events, Haunted Halloween Gift can be activated to drop on this map.
The objective is to push a cart of gravel containing the corpse of the opposing team's employer (Blutarch for RED, Redmond for BLU) to the lift at the high towers before the other team while the brothers scream at you. At the beginning of the round your team's employer will request or demand that you send their brother (the other team's employer) to Hell. Once either brother is pushed to the checkpoint, all players will be sent to Hell.
In Hell, the teams are pitted against each other, and all players must attempt to enter the Skull Island. Any player killed in Hell will become a Ghost and can pursue the living players; however, ghosts have no way to deal any damage. Pressing primary-fire as a ghost will cause the player to yell "BOO", which can be used to annoy living players but serves little other purpose. Players that survive and reach the book receive an Unfilled Fancy Spellbook, if they do not already possess one in their backpack, which can be filled with pages found from the Haunted Halloween Gift. Only those players who are alive and reach Skull Island can receive the Unfilled Fancy Spellbook.
The Witching Hour is a timed-event feature introduced in Helltower. It occurs every time the minute hand on the Clocktower reaches 12 and lasts while the minute hand steps backwards around back to 12 again. Every 2 minutes and 25 seconds, the Witching Hour runs for 40 seconds. Clocktower bells ring announcing the Witching Hour. Clockworks clunk loudly within the tower, increasing in rate to warn players of the end of the the Witching Hour.
During each witching hour, many Magic Spells spawn all over the open areas of the map and two Bridges open over the Lava pit to the Cliff House. Players who survived the bridge crossing may pick up the Rare Magic Spell at the Cliff House and be returned instantly to their own spawn with an Overheal and a brief speed boost.
At the start of the second Witching Hour and every second hour after that, the Green Skeleton King and 5 Skeletons appear and begin chasing the nearest players.
The Mann Brothers, Redmond and Blutarch, are the Halloween-themed Payload carts unique to Helltower. After being slain by their long-lost brother Gray Mann, the ghosts of the Mann Brothers endeavour to have their respective mercenaries send the other brother to Hell so that one may claim their father's inheritance as described in Grave Matters. Thus each team must push the corpse of the other team's boss to Hell while the ghosts of their respective employers bicker, report progress, and give instruction in place of the Administrator.
While the initial push to the end works like a regular Payload race on Hightower, once a team has pushed their corpse to the end, the screen will flash white as all players are transported to what is believed to be Hell.
On first arrival, all players will arrive on separate sides of a small area surrounded by lava (along with a short dance-off.) The team that successfully pushed their cart to the end receive a noticeable Overheal buff as both teams are to fight over winning a prize upon Skull Island; an Unfilled Fancy Spellbook.
At this point, the game turns into a short Arena match, with no respawns. Instead, killed players turn into maneuverable ghosts. The team that manages to make it to Skull Island and lower the gate around the book wins the match, even if they lost the Payload race.
- The Hightowers: Similar to the Hightowers in the Hightower map. There are movable platforms at the bottoms that when a Payload cart and at least one player is standing on it, will raise. Like the Hightower map, once the carts reach the end of the track they will detonate and all players will be sent to Hell.
- Central Tower: Includes a long pit/shaft, similar to Ghost Fort.
- The Ramp: Unlike Hightower, the carts do not fall back down these ramps by gravity.
- Cliff-House: Its back wall is now opened up and can be fallen off of.
- Clocktower: Past the Cliff-House, a Clock tower can be accessed by bridges that appear during the Witching Hour. The ghost of Zepheniah Mann watches over the battle here but disappears during the Witching Hour. His haunting here prevents long-ranged players (e.g., Snipers) from using the location as an unassailable position.
- Balconies: At the end of the spawn hallways, like Hightower, are small balconies that overlook most of the battlefield.
- Tower Corridors: Some changes have been made here, including small puddle rooms on each side that players can drop down into, and small inaccessible tunnels, which can be used to teleport to the opposite tunnel when you are affected by the shrinking spell.
- The Bridge: Two bridges that allows players to access the Clocktower. They appear during the Witching Hour, replacing Zepheniah's ghost and disappear when it is over.
- Hell: When one of the caskets reaches its goal, both teams are sent to Hell. Hell takes on a slightly more demonic and lava-filled appearance than the map itself and still has the top half of the Central Tower. A route can be traveled across to Skull Island where surviving players can find the chatty Bombinomicon and receive a reward.
- Added Helltower to the game.
- Updated the round restart event to remove spells after playing in hell.
- Updated Helltower to improve server stability.
- Fixed players keeping their spells if they were rolling for them while leaving hell.
- Fixed a dedicated server crash related to players becoming ghosts in hell.
- Fixed being able to instantly respawn by changing teams while a ghost.
- Fixed being able to get into the enemy spawn with the teleport spell in Helltower.
- Fixed an exploit caused by attempting to change teams while in hell.
- Fixed players sometimes not being able to select a team and spawn on Helltower.
- The carts will not destroy any buildings when passing over them.
- It is possible to go outside the map in certain spots.
- When the speed boost from exiting the clock tower runs out, any speed boost from a Disciplinary Action will also be removed.
- Killing players with the Half-Zatoichi will not restore your health in Hell.
- It is possible for pumpkin bombs and Skeletons to spawn directly on the exit gates of a team's base, preventing them from opening.
- Environmental death in Hell will be shown in the kill feed as bumper cars rather than the usual skull and bones, regardless of being finished off or falling in the lava.
- Each Mann brother has a knife sticking out of his back. This is a reference to when Gray Mann stabbed them at the end of the Blood Brothers comic.
- However, Gray used only one knife to commit both murders and he dropped the knife and left it on the floor.
- A Spy corpse (RED Spy for BLU and BLU Spy for RED) can be seen flying towards the lava next to the clock tower after the explosion, most likely serving as stand-ins for Blutarch/Redmond going to Hell.
- According to an unused line for Blutarch, Blutarch states that his laywers are watching from the clock tower at the end of the map, ensuring his team is doing their job.
- In Hell, there is a secret ledge at the bottom of the waterfall with a skeleton leg at the bottom.
- A hut is visible in the far right side of the normal Hightower, in this version, it's missing with a black spot, implying that it exploded.
- Gorge Event, Redmond has escaped from Hell with his coffin; BLU assaults his mansion to send him back.
- Brimstone, Redmond is taken back to Hell.