|Map type||Player Destruction|
|File name:|| |
|Release date:||October 5th, 2014|
|Developer(s):|| Michael "::Egan::" Egan|
Louie "bakscratch" Turner
Ian "Wgooch" Gooch
Nassim "NassimO" Sadoun
Miguel "BANG!" Melara
Thijs "Evil_Knevil" Van Gerreway
Jennifer "NeoDement" Burnett
Aeon "Void" Bollig
|Health Kits:||×7 • ×3 • ×1|
|Ammo Boxes:||×6 • ×2|
Watergate is a community-made Player Destruction map set in a seaside town during an alien invasion. Watergate won 2nd place in the 2014 TF2Maps.net Major Mapping Contest #11, "Mercs vs. Aliens" and was officially included in the game for the Invasion Community Update.
The objective for the map is that both teams must kill players to collect beer bottles to deliver to the UFO. A team wins upon successful delivery of a set number of bottles. The amount varies depending on the number of players currently in the server.
The goal of each team is to collect beer pickups dropped by dead players, and deposit them into a UFO at the center of the map to get it drunk and score points. When killed, a player drops 1 beer plus all of the beers they were carrying which can then be picked up by players on either team. Dropped beer bottles display a timer of 30 seconds before disappearing.
The non-Spy player on each team with the most beers also becomes the "Team Leader", making them dispense health and ammo to themselves and nearby teammates at the rate of a level 1 Dispenser. The player's HUD will display a gold star () next to the current number of beers carried. The Team Leader status also gives a team-colored outline visible through walls that can be seen by both teams with a beer number counter. If the "Use Glow Effect for Payload Objectives" is not selected in the Advanced Options, only the numbers will be visible to the player.
To score, players must deposit their collected beers into a UFO at the center of the map, which arrives every 52 seconds and flies slowly across the area creating a tractor beam, before getting to the edge of the map and leaving after 34 seconds. While in the UFO beam, players can move around as if they were swimming in water, and their collected beers are gradually deposited into the UFO and added to their team's score. Players can also contest beer deposits by jumping into the beam and blocking the enemy team from scoring.
As more beers are deposited into the UFO, it will get drunk, visibly wobbling more and more the higher a team's score is. Once one team scores enough points to win (the number scales based on the amount of players at the start of the round), the UFO flies away and drunkenly crashes into the mothership in the distance, destroying it and winning the game for that team.
Note: Many of these lines are prefixed with "temp" with text-to-speech, monotonous announcer, possibly indicating that they may be changed in the future.
|Enemy delivering bottles|
|Teammates delivering bottles|
|Unused Enemy almost winning|
|Unused Teammates almost winning|
- Open Alley: The team oriented alleys are open areas with multiple different paths to take. From the catwalk is the path to one of the gatehouses. Underneath the catwalk is the path to the interior corridors. Straight ahead is the canal.
- Dropoff: The path to the canal drop down to the bottom floor. To the side is a catwalk into one of the gatehouses that can be accessed by jumping from the trashbags.
- Central Corridors: Through a small storage room is a small corridor that connects to the central catwalks, the rooftop bar, and a dropoff into one of the cellars.
- Gatehouse: The gatehouses overlook the UFO spawn with windows that can serve as vantage points. On the second floor are medium health & ammo kits.
- Cellars: The team oriented cellars lead to the canal, either from the outside structures, or the central sewer.
- Sewers: Down the stairs is a sewer path that leads to the canal. Down in the path is a small health and ammo kit.
- Dilapidated Boat: In the center of the canal is a stationary boat containing a max health kit.
- Central Sewer: The central sewer has a catwalk that leads to the overhead catwalks. On the catwalk is a lone medium ammo kit.
- Rooftop Bar: The rooftop bar overlooks the whole canal and connects to the team oriented sides. The bar contains two small ammo kits and one small health kit.
- Overhead Catwalks: Underneath the bar are catwalks overlooking the map. In the center is a medium health kit.
- UFO: The UFO spawns periodically at the end of the canal near the gatehouses. It slowly flies over the canal and stops at the rooftop bar before flying out of the map. While it is flying overhead, its tractor beam will activate. When inside the tractor beam, players can fly into the air is if they were swimming.
- Occasionally when loading the map, certain roof textures and the beer symbol on the HUD will not load.
- Beer pickups do not become invisible when Spies are cloaked.
- The map was inspired by the 2012 video game Dishonored, in particular the Draper's Ward portion from the Brigmore Witches downloadable content.
- Though the map shares its name with the infamous Watergate scandal, the map creator has denied any intentional connection: "The map name isn't actually a reference to the Watergate scandal, however fitting it may be. It is simply just that the centerpiece is a watergate, and that it's a unique / descriptive name for a map."
- There are several references to Dishonored and Les Misérables.
- Various Whale Bone Charms and the Lacking Moral Fiber Mask can be found hidden in a box in the corner of the central sewer drain.
- Another Whale Bone Charm can be found perched on the top of the demolished wall on the uppermost floor of the brewery.
- Whale Bone charms can also be found on the slanted roofs near the main RED and BLU spawn entrances
- Wall graffiti "DOOM BE UPON US" and "THE END IS NIGH" resembles those found in Dishonored.
- The number "24601" can be found printed on the wall next to a barrel underneath the staircase by the secondary RED spawn entrance.
- The dilapidated boat's name is the King Mary as opposed to the Queen Mary.
- An Ap-Sap can be found by noclipping into the crates by BLU's secondary spawn entrance. It will speak voicelines when hit.
- In each team's spawn is a passed out Demoman. Next to him is a beer spill that if stepped on will cause the player to slip forward, similar to the banana peel from Mannhattan.
- The voice that announces progress and which team is in the UFO's beam was made using the voice WillFromAfar from the site Acapela group.com.
- Watergate Steam Workshop Page "Yeah the voice is 'WillFromAfar' from acapela-group.com - a text-to-speech program. We were talking about replacing it but it wasn't decided. People seem to find it funny anyway."
- Comment from the author dated November 18, 2014
- Developer comments from October 2015