When a player dies in Team Fortress 2, the event is logged briefly in the upper right-hand corner of the screen (occasionally referred to as a kill feed or death notice), displaying from left to right the name of the player (and, if applicable, an assisting player) responsible for the kill, an icon that reflects the nature of the death, and then the name of the player who died. The icon is referred to as the kill icon, or death notice icon. Additionally, all event logs involving the player are tinted pale yellow (in comparison to the normal brown) and remain on-screen for a longer period of time in order to assist the player in keeping track of their events. If the death was the result of critical damage, then the icon has a red glowing effect behind it; if the weapon used is one of the Australium weapons, it has a golden glowing effect instead behind it.
Most weapons have unique kill icons, but there are some that refer to multiple weapons.
These icons are used when one player inflicts a death upon another using a weapon.
|Baby Face's Blaster|
|Pretty Boy's Pocket Pistol|
|Wrap Assassin (bauble)|
|Cow Mangler 5000|
|Cow Mangler 5000 (Afterburn)|
|Cow Mangler 5000 (suicide afterburn)|
|Flame Thrower (Afterburn)|
|Nostromo Napalmer (Afterburn)|
|Dragon's Fury (Afterburn)|
|Flare Gun (Afterburn)|
|Scorch Shot (Afterburn)|
|Sharpened Volcano Fragment|
|Sharpened Volcano Fragment (Afterburn)|
|Deflected projectiles||Kill Icon|
|Deflected arrow (Headshot)|
|Deflected flaming arrow|
|Deflected flaming arrow (afterburn)|
|Deflected flare afterburn|
|Manually detonated deflected Detonator's flare|
|Deflected Detonator's flare afterburn|
|Deflected Manmelter projectile|
|Deflected Manmelter projectile (afterburn)|
|Deflected Dragon's Fury projectile|
|Deflected Dragon's Fury projectile (afterburn)|
|Deflected Scottish Resistance stickybombs|
|Deflected Sandman ball|
|Deflected Cow Mangler 5000 energy blast|
|Deflected Cow Mangler 5000 energy blast (afterburn)|
|Deflected Wrap Assassin bauble|
|Deflected Scorch Shot|
|Deflected Scorch Shot (detonation)|
|Deflected Scorch Shot (Afterburn)|
|Deflected Flying Guillotine|
|Deflected cannonballs (impact)|
|Deflected cannonballs (explosion)|
|Deflected repair claws|
|Deflected energy ball|
|Loose Cannon (knockback)|
|Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker|
|Ullapool Caber (Explosion)|
|Ullapool Caber (Melee)|
|Nessie's Nine Iron|
|Killing Gloves of Boxing|
|Gloves of Running Urgently|
|Fists of Steel|
|Short Circuit (Energy ball)|
|Gunslinger (Triple Punch)|
|Sentry Gun||Kill Icon|
|Combat Mini-Sentry Gun|
|Level 1 Sentry Gun|
|Level 2 Sentry Gun|
|Level 3 Sentry Gun|
|Destruction of hauled building|
|Sniper Rifle (Headshot)|
|Flaming Huntsman (afterburn)|
|Bazaar Bargain (Headshot)|
|Machina (penetration Headshot)|
|Shooting Star (Headshot)|
|Shooting Star (penetration)|
|Shooting Star (penetration Headshot)|
|Hitman's Heatmaker (Headshot)|
|AWPer Hand (Headshot)|
|Fortified Compound (Headshot)|
|Fortified Compound (flaming)|
|Flaming Fortified Compound (afterburn)|
|Your Eternal Reward|
|Your Eternal Reward (Backstab)|
|Conniver's Kunai (Backstab)|
|Big Earner (Backstab)|
|Wanga Prick (Backstab)|
|Sharp Dresser (Backstab)|
|Black Rose (Backstab)|
Also known as attack taunts, most of these taunts have the ability to kill almost every opponent in a single hit, as they do 400+ damage.
|Grenade with Lumbricus Lid|
These icons are used when one player inflicts a death upon another using an appropriate action item.
These icons are typically used when a player dies either from an environmental hazard, or causes their own death with their weapon or by other means.
|Related death||Kill Icon|
|Suicide, Fall damage|
|Trains, Li'l Chew-Chew|
|Horseless Headless Horsemann|
There are several unused kill icons that can be found in the game files. Some of these icons are included for custom use by the community, others appear to have been replaced by the currently used kill icons or possibly had their accompanying concept scrapped.
|Name||Kill Icon||Potential use|
|Environmental death||Likely implemented early on in development for explosive weapons, this icon has been in the files since the game's release.|
|Half-Zatoichi||An alternate kill icon for the Half-Zatoichi, assumedly designed for when a Half-Zatoichi wielder instantly kills another Half-Zatoichi wielder.|
|Wrap Assassin||An alternate kill icon for killing a player with the alt-fire bauble.|
|Third Degree||A kill icon for killing a player via the weapon's damage transfer effect.|
|Holiday Punch||A kill icon for killing a player presumably while they are laughing.|
|Deflected arrow headshot †||Scoring a headshot with a deflected arrow.|
|Deflected flaming arrow †||Scoring a kill with a deflected flaming arrow.|
|Deflected flaming arrow headshot †||Scoring a headshot with a deflected flaming arrow.|
|Deflected Sandman ball †||Scoring a kill with a deflected ball.|
|Level 1 Sentry Gun||This icon appears similar to the standard Level 1 Sentry kill icon with one clear difference: the Sentry appears to have some kind of laser attached to the top. The icon was introduced to the game files months before the Engineer Update.|
|Flaming arrow headshot †||Kill icon added with the Engineer Update for scoring a kill with a flaming arrow headshot.|
|Ambassador headshot||Two headshot icons for the Spy's Ambassador. The first was used in-game from the Sniper vs. Spy Update to the Engineer Update, but was changed to the Sniper Rifle headshot icon for unknown reasons. The second icon was included in the game files, but never used in-game, and is only assumed to be related to the Ambassador.|
|Baleful Beacon||A kill icon from the VPK files for a weapon that does not yet exist in-game.|
|Stratonic Swatter||A kill icon from the VPK files for a weapon that does not yet exist in-game.|
|Shred Alert||A kill icon for the Shred Alert.|
|Paint Bomb||A kill icon from the VPK files for an unused "Paint Bomb" weapon.|
†These unused kill icons were created and contributed by NeoDement.
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icon for Ubersaw.
June 19, 2008 Patch' (Pyro Update)
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Flare Gun, Axtinguisher, and Hadouken taunt.
August 19, 2008 Patch (Heavy Update)
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Fists, Killing Gloves of Boxing, and Showdown taunt.
February 24, 2009 Patch (Scout Update)
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icon for Home Run taunt.
May 21, 2009 Patch (Sniper vs. Spy Update)
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Huntman, Ambassador, Skewer taunt, and Fencing taunt.
- Fixed players killed by flaming arrows not showing the appropriate death icon.
October 29, 2009 Patch (Haunted Hallowe'en Special)
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icon for Pumpkin bomb.
December 17, 2009 Patch (WAR! Update)
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Direct Hit, Equalizer, Chargin' Targe, Scottish Resistance, Eyelander, Kamikaze taunt, and Decapitation taunt.
- Fixed Pyros not getting the proper kill icon for kills with deflected Direct Hit rockets.
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icon for Spinal Tap taunt (Ubersaw kill icon).
- Added unique kill icons for Homewrecker, Pain Train, Scotsman's Skullcutter, and Tribalman's Shiv.
- Fixed the community submitted deathnotice icons for the community submitted weapons.
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icon for Golden Wrench.
July 8, 2010 Patch (Engineer Update)
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Force-A-Nature, Lugermorph, Sandman bat, Sandman ball, Natascha, Frontier Justice, Wrangler, Gunslinger, Southern Hospitality, Big Kill, Dischord taunt, and Organ Grinder taunt.
- [Undocumented] The Ambassador headshot kill icon is replaced with the Sniper Rifle headshot kill icon.
September 30, 2010 Patch (Mann-Conomy Update)
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Shortstop, Holy Mackerel, Degreaser, Powerjack, L'Etranger, and Your Eternal Reward.
- Fixed some of the deathnotice icons using the wrong colors.
October 27, 2010 Patch (Scream Fortress Update)
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker and Horseless Headless Horsemann.
- Added unique kill icons for Sandman, Boston Basher, Candy Cane, Backburner, Back Scratcher, Black Box, Frying Pan, Claidheamh Mòr, Ullapool Caber, Gloves of Running Urgently, Iron Curtain, Brass Beast, Fists of Steel, Warrior's Spirit, Jag, Blutsauger, Vita-Saw, Amputator, Crusader's Crossbow, Sydney Sleeper, Bushwacka, and Lumbricus Lid Kamikaze taunt.
- [Undocumented] Fixed native kill icon not displaying when killing enemy players with the Degreaser.
- [Undocumented] Added an unused kill icon for the Loch-n-Load.
- [Undocumented] Updated kill icon for Rocket Launcher, Direct Hit, Shotgun, Minigun, Killing Gloves of Boxing.
- Implemented the Loch-n-Load kill icon.
- Added mini-sentry kill icon.
- [Undocumented] Improved Ullapool Caber and Candy Cane kill icons.
- [Undocumented] If the player suicides with the Ullapool Caber, it displays the Caber's kill icon.
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Sun-on-a-Stick and Sharpened Volcano Fragment.
- Fixed burning deaths to always use the death notice icon for the weapon that started the burn.
March 10, 2011 Patch (Shogun Pack)
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Fan O'War, Half-Zatoichi, and Conniver's Kunai.
May 5, 2011 Patch (Replay Update)
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icon for Saxxy.
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icon for Three-Rune Blade.
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icon for Maul.
- The Maul and Three-Rune Blade kill icons have been flipped.
June 23, 2011 Patch (Über Update)
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Soda Popper, Winger, Atomizer, Liberty Launcher, Reserve Shooter, Mantreads, Market Gardener, Disciplinary Action, Detonator, Splendid Screen, Persian Persuader, Tomislav, Family Business, Eviction Notice, Overdose, Solemn Vow, Bazaar Bargain, Shahanshah, Enforcer and Big Earner.
July 1, 2011 Patch (Summer Camp Sale)
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Postal Pummeler and Nessie's Nine Iron.
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Cow Mangler 5000 and Righteous Bison.
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icon for Original.
- [Undocumented] Updated the kill icons for Nessie's Nine Iron and Postal Pummeler.
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Widowmaker, Machina, and Short Circuit.
- [Undocumented] Updated the kill icons for Cow Mangler 5000 and Nessie's Nine Iron.
- [Undocumented] Updated the kill icon for Postal Pummeler.
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Scottish Handshake and Conscientious Objector.
October 27, 2011 Patch (Very Scary Halloween Special)
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Unarmed Combat, Wanga Prick, MONOCULUS, and Underworld.
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icon for Apoco-Fists.
- Fixed the Loch-n-Load death notice icon not being displayed correctly.
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icon for Sharp Dresser.
December 15, 2011 Patch (Australian Christmas 2011)
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Wrap Assassin, Phlogistinator, Manmelter, Third Degree, Holiday Punch, Pomson 6000, Eureka Effect, and Spy-cicle.
- [Undocumented] Added a kill icon for Cauldron Fire.
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icon for Black Rose.
- Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause The Manmelter to display incorrect kill icons.
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Pretty Boy's Pocket Pistol, Baby Face's Blaster, Beggar's Bazooka, Escape Plan, Rainblower, Scorch Shot, Lollichop, Cleaner's Carbine, Hitman's Heatmaker, Armageddon taunt, and Execution taunt.
August 2, 2012 Patch (Triad Pack)
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Flying Guillotine, Neon Annihilator, Huo Long Heatmaker, and Red-Tape Recorder.
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icon for AWPer Hand.
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icon for Freedom Staff.
October 26, 2012 Patch (Spectral Halloween Special)
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icon for Bat Outta Hell.
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icon for Memory Maker.
December 20, 2012 Patch (Mecha Update)
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Loose Cannon and Rescue Ranger.
- [Undocumented] Added unique kill icons for Ap-Sap and Ham Shank.
- Fixed the death notice icon for the Eureka Effect.
- Fixed suicide deathnotices showing the dead player's last deployed weapon instead of the skull and crossbones.
- Fixed the Ubersaw taunt attack using the incorrect deathnotice image.
- Updated the kill icon for the Panic Attack.
- Fixed the Quickiebomb Launcher using the wrong death notice icon.
- Australium weapons now have a yellow glow behind their kill icon, similarly to critical hits.
- If Scottish Resistance Stickybombs are detonated while moving (i.e. immediately after they are pushed by compression blast, rockets, grenades, or while in mid-flight) the kill feed shows the Stickybomb Launcher kill icon.
- If the target dies from the afterburn of the Hadouken, it shows the Flame Thrower's kill icon rather than the Hadouken/Flare Gun's kill icon.
- The Detonator's kill icon is cut off; the explosion is missing.
- The Level 1 Sentry Gun's kill icon is cut off; the bullet present in the three other sentry kill icons is not included.
- The Sniper Rifle headshot's kill icon is cut off; the bullet appears to have been cut in half.
- The headshot kill icon for the Ambassador is unaffected, despite being shared with the Sniper Rifle.
- The Tribalman's Shiv's kill icon is pictured upside down.
- Sniper Rifles cannot headshot 0.2 seconds after zooming in, however if the player is crit-boosted and shoots on a head within 0.2s it shows up as the headshot icon.
- Deflected Sandman balls and Wrap Assassin baubles show that the enemy killed themselves with the ball/bleeding kill icon.
- Deflected flare kills show a different flare gun kill icon depending on the weapon equipped by the player getting the deflect kill:
- Flare Gun - Deflected flare kill icon.
- Detonator - Detonator kill icon.
- Scorch Shot - Scorch Shot kill icon.
- Manmelter - Deflected flare kill icon.
- Any other Pyro secondary weapon (shotguns, Thermal Thruster, and Gas Passer) - Deflected flare kill icon.
- When using an Australium weapon, the kill icons for magic spells have the Australium background.