Gargoyles & Gravel
|Gargoyles & Gravel|
|Comic Strip Info|
|Released:||October 28, 2015|
|Number of pages:||22|
|Artist:||Maren "rennerei" Marmulla|
Jim Murray (cover)
|Writer:||Jay Pinkerton & Erik Wolpaw|
|Colorist:||Sarah "Fayren" Stone|
Gargoyles & Gravel is a comic that was released on October 28, 2015 to announce Scream Fortress 2015 and introduce the Soul Gargoyle. It follows the Mercs & Miss Pauling throwing a Halloween party when a desperate Merasmus interrupts their festivities with a challenge.
Gargoyles & Gravel opens on Halloween night as the RED team is throwing a Halloween party. As the party is happening, Medic and Engineer are placing the brain of a criminal inside a Jack o' Lantern. While they take the lantern outside, Scout, Soldier, and Heavy are playing a fantasy role playing game called "Gargoyles & Gravel" with Miss Pauling. In-game, they are ambushed by goblins until Heavy savagely announces he kills them all with Sasha. Miss Pauling informs them that they have entered a room with a lone amulet that looks dangerous. Despite the warnings, Soldier retrieves the amulet, killing his entire party.
Meanwhile, Merasmus announces his arrival outside the door of the party. After explaining to Miss Pauling who Merasmus is, they try to ignore him and proceed with the party until Merasmus pretends to be the pizza man. Spy goes to Merasmus and suspects that he is in debt to the mob over an ancient artifact that he needs the mercs help with. Merasmus lies that it isn't the case despite being held by Russian mobsters with the ancient artifact behind him. To try to pique their interest, Merasmus proclaims that all the monsters of Halloween's past have returned, and offers the challenge to collect their souls. The mercs ignore him and go back to their game where Soldier takes the amulet again, killing their in-game party. Bored, Heavy decides he'd rather fight Merasmus's monsters instead and asks the others to join him. The comic closes with the mercs exiting the building proclaiming that they accept Merasmus's challenge, saving him from a death by the hands of the mob.
- The title Gargoyles & Gravel references the tabletop fantasy role playing game Dungeons & Dragons, which inspired similarly alliteratively-titled game concepts.
- The TF2 Hobbies, Inc. company name references the 1975-1983 corporation TSR Hobbies, Inc., the original publisher of the Dungeons & Dragons franchise.
- The yellow band with red text across the upper-left corner of publications was a brand mark of TSR Hobbies, Inc. publications, c. 1980.
- The TF2 block logo references the 1983-1991 Angled Logo of TSR, Inc.
- With Sniper's camper and the team's Red Bread van from Expiration Date is Spy's red sports car from Unhappy Returns.
- The costumes worn by some of the characters are based on item sets added during previous Scream Fortress events: Scout is wearing the Deep-Fried Dummy, Soldier is wearing the Tin Soldier (which he also wore in the Bombinomicon Comic), Demoman's is based on the Highland Hound, Heavy's is based on the FrankenHeavy, Engineer is wearing the Brundle Bundle's wings, Medic is wearing the Mad Doktor's wig, Sniper's is based on the Camper Van Helsing, and Spy's is based on the Invisible Rogue. Additionally, Miss Pauling is wearing a Ghastlierest Gibus.
- The Demoman can be seen with beastly hands, however the Highland Hound does not have such a feature.
- The Russian mafia was not known to be active in the United States until after the mid-1970s.
- The pumpkin in this comic later appears on the Payload cart on Bloodwater, as part of the model for the Gargoyle Case, and in both spawn rooms on Farmageddon.