| Grave Matters
| Comic Strip Info
|| October 28, 2013
| Number of pages:
|| Maren Marmulla
|| Jay Pinkerton & Erik Wolpaw
I'm sending my brother to HELL.
— Redmond and Blutarch Mann
Grave Matters is a comic released on October 28, 2013, as part of the Fifth Annual Halloween Special. It features the ghosts of Redmond and Blutarch Mann, debating who won the Gravel Wars.
The comic opens with Merasmus stirring toilet wine while introducing his fellow inmates to the story of what happened after Redmond and Blutarch's deaths. The next scene opens immediately after the deaths of Redmond and Blutarch Mann, in which Gray Mann promptly exits the scene after their death. The ghosts of Redmond and Blutarch begin to argue over who died first, therefore finding out who was the rightful heir to their father's land. The twin ghosts decide to pay a visit to the RED Soldier, due to the fact that he is a lawyer, and attempt to find out who won the Gravel Wars. The RED Soldier, unaware that he is speaking to his employer, explains that since neither of them are truly dead, the Gravel Wars are not over until one of them passes on to the next world. Discovering it is still a stalemate, both Redmond and Blutarch quickly exit and contact their respective workers and confide that they are going to try to send the other to the underworld, ending with a hint at the Scream Fortress 2013 update.
- Page 4
- Merasmus has what appears to be a tattoo of Soldier's class emblem on his left bicep.
- Merasmus's Skull Island Topper has two cat-like eyes instead of one human-like one in the game.
- Page 12
- Merasmus's refrigerator is still buried in the ground from Doom-Mates.
- Page 13
- The newspaper that Redmond and Blutarch find the Soldier's advertisement in is the same newspaper that Gray Mann is reading in the Shadow Boxers comic.
- On the bottom of the newspaper we learn that Soldier has been given "Legal Powers" by magic.
- The alphanumeric telephone number (BLACKBURN 1-03113) encodes the date 10/31/13, which is the date of the Halloween holiday celebrated in that year's Scream Fortress update. "BLackburn" is an actual telephone exchange name; these were common before the advent of All Number Calling. The two capitalized letters were the letters that were actually dialed. The full number would be 251-03113, which has eight digits instead of seven and therefore wouldn't be a functional phone number.
- Starting on this page, Soldier's coat switches from being torn and dirty to being fixed from panel to panel.
- Page 14
- The Soldier is referred to as "Sargeant-Barrister Doe". A Barrister is a type of lawyer typically found in higher courts. The Soldier was first mentioned to have legal privileges in A Smissmas Story.
- Additionally, Sargeant is an incorrect spelling of the actual military rank, Sergeant. This is presumably a typo.
- Page 16
- Page 17