Rock, Paper, Scissors
Rock, Paper, Scissors is a two-player taunt. Similar to the High Five! taunt, when the initiator presses the action button, their character will enter a pose inviting someone else to join. Once another player accepts the challenge, the two face off in a rock-paper-scissors match. The choice of throw is randomly selected and does not allow ties. Once the throws are played, icons appear showing what the throws are, the winner's icon appearing with a bright outline around it, while the loser's does not. Afterwards, the two participants react accordingly by using a mini-taunt, a winning and a losing one.
Should two players of opposite teams face off with this taunt, the loser will be killed by exploding, which is recorded as a taunt kill delivered from the winner's currently equipped weapon. This does not increase the kill count for Strange weapons, although points will be recorded for Strange cosmetics. The loser won't be killed if he is under the effects of ÜberCharge or Bonk! Atomic Punch during the taunt winner decision. Additionally, the loser won't be killed if the winner is killed before the taunt ends.
For the voicelines spoken by each class, please refer to the respective class taunt pages.
- Rock, Paper, Scissors was added to the game.
- In the game files, images for left and right hands for each throw type exists; in-game, the icon upon winning or losing does not differ when executed by left or right, and simply shows as a centered hand icon. No BLU team icons for these variations of icons exist.
- Sometimes, the icon for the loser is replaced by Scorch Shot projectile animation, and it does not disappear from the map until it ends.
- The animations for Rock, Paper, Scissors and several other taunts added in the Love and War Update were added to the game in the Scream Fortress 2013 event, as shown in this video uploaded on November 1st, 2013.
- It is possible to get kills with weapons that don't normally deal damage, such as the Sandvich or Rocket Jumper, if they are the weapon held at the start of the taunt. If an enemy loses while doing so, the killfeed will show the generic skull-and-crossbones logo. Notably, the Spy's Sapper variants will display their kill icons as well, which can make it seem like an enemy was "sapped".
- An unused Spy voice line hints towards the Rock, Paper, Scissors taunt once being able to end in a tie.
- Upon winning as Scout or Spy, a sound will accompany their victory, with the sound of a boxing ring bell for the Scout and the sound of a church bell for the Spy.
- A placeholder image exists in the game files showing a crudely drawn hand, named as
- Scout's victory animation is a reference to Muhammad Ali's Ali Shuffle.