Rock, Paper, Scissors
In historical times, people would play this game by candlelight for upwards of three minutes before dying of plague.
— Rock, Paper, Scissors publicity blurb
Rock, Paper, Scissors is a special taunt for all classes.
When the player selects it from the taunts menu, the character enters a pose inviting someone else to join. Once another player accepts the challenge by taunting in front of them, the two face off in a rock-paper-scissors match. The choice of throw is randomly selected and does not allow ties. Once the throws are played, icons appear showing what the throws are, the winner's icon appearing with a bright outline around it, while the loser's does not. Afterwards, the two participants react accordingly by using a mini-taunt, a winning and a losing one.
Any other player (including bots), regardless of their team or if they own the taunt, can join any taunting player by standing close to them and pressing the taunt button. Other players will see an icon above the dancer's head which indicates if the taunt is active.
Should two players of opposite teams face off with this taunt, the loser is killed by exploding, which is recorded as a taunt kill delivered from the winner's active weapon at the time of initiating or joining the taunt. This does not increase a Killstreak or the kill count for Strange weapons, although points will be recorded for Strange cosmetic items. The loser won't be killed during the taunt winner decision if they are under the effects of ÜberCharge or Bonk! Atomic Punch or if the winner is killed before the taunt ends.
For the voice lines of each class, please refer to the respective class taunts pages.
June 18, 2014 Patch (Love & War Update)
- Rock, Paper, Scissors was added to the game.
- [Undocumented] Set all taunts to be giftable, nameable, and support craft numbers.
- [Undocumented] Special taunts no longer drop for Premium account players.
- Updated the description.
- In the game files, images for left and right hands for each throw type exist; in-game, the icon upon winning or losing does not differ when executed by left or right, and simply shows as a centered hand icon. No BLU team icons for these variations of icons exist.
- Sometimes, the icon for the loser is replaced by the Scorch Shot projectile animation, and does not disappear from the map until it ends.
- It is possible to get kills with weapons that don't normally deal damage, such as the Sandvich or Rocket Jumper, if they are the weapon held at the start of the taunt. If an enemy loses while doing so, the killfeed will show the generic skull-and-crossbones logo. Notably, the Spy's Sapper variants will display their kill icons as well, which can make it seem like an enemy was "sapped".
- An unused Spy voice line hints towards the Rock, Paper, Scissors taunt once being able to end in a tie.
- A placeholder image exists in the game files showing a crudely drawn hand, named as
- Scout's victory animation is a reference to Muhammad Ali's Ali Shuffle.