The equip region is an item attribute in the client schema used to identify the region where an item is attached on a character model. The equip region attribute (denoted by the value name
equip_region) is given to all Cosmetic items and some weapons, and its primary purpose is to prevent items in the same region from being equipped simultaneously. Equip regions were introduced to avoid visual clipping errors upon the addition of two usable 'misc' slots. This system was retained when the existing hat and miscellaneous slots were merged into three 'cosmetic' slots as a result of the December 20, 2013 Patch.
There are 68 equip regions in total. The equip regions of cosmetic items and weapons vary, but the vast majority of items that were classed as hats before the cosmetic overhaul have a base equip region of
Equipping two items that have equip regions in both below columns, or two items that have the same region, is not allowed by the game.
|Whole Head||Hat, Face, Glasses, Ears|
List of equip regions
- It is possible to equip two items with conflicting equip regions simultaneously in three conditions:
- If one item equipped in the slot is removed from the Backpack, or the slot is otherwise unused and vacant, and the item preferred is equipped in the slot in another loadout.
- If the connection between the user and the Steam's servers is slow.
- Using the quickswitch key function, which does not check region conflicts when equipping items.
- If an item has no equip region, it is possible to equip multiple versions of the item at once.