— The Heavy on his little companion
The Pocket Medic is a community-created cosmetic item for the Soldier and Heavy. It is a toy doll with a resemblance of the Medic, placed in a pocket stitched to the Soldier's fatigues and the Heavy's vest.
The Pocket Medic differs in appearance based on the class equipping it. If it is equipped by the Soldier, both the doll and the pocket are bright and team-colored and the doll is shown from the waist up. For the Heavy, the pocket is the same color as the Heavy's vest, the doll is colored darker and is shown from the thighs up.
When players equipped with this item kill an enemy unassisted by another player, the killfeed shows everyone in Pyroland that it gets the assist, with its custom name if it has one.
June 23, 2011 Patch (Über Update)
- The Pocket Medic was added to the game.
June 28, 2011 Patch
- Made the Pocket Medic craftable.
October 13, 2011 Patch (Manniversary Update & Sale)
- Pocket Medic can now be equipped by the Soldier in addition to the Heavy.
- [Undocumented] The Pocket Medic now makes fabric sounds when moved around in the backpack.
December 1, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] Changed the Pocket Medic's description to be a "Pocket Buddy" rather than a "Badge".
January 26, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated the texture for the Pocket Medic.
June 27, 2012 Patch (Pyromania Update)
- [Undocumented] Pocket Medic is now credited with assists on unassisted kills.
- "Pocket Medic" is a term coined by the community to refer to a Medic who exclusively heals one patient, never taking his heal beam off him. A Medic may tend to stick to a Heavy or Soldier due to their high health and damage output.