The Spellbook Magazine is a default action item for all classes. It is represented in the backpack as a worn, vintage issue of Casters Quarterly. This item was originally obtained by logging on to Team Fortress 2 anytime during the Scream Fortress 2013 or Scream Fortress 2014 Halloween events.
This item is the Stock Spellbook, available to all players. With this item equipped in the action slot, the player's hand emits green flames in the Loadout view, and the player can pick up and cast Magic spells. When a player starts or joins a round on a Halloween map that has magic spells without a Spellbook equipped, a notification is displayed, allowing the player to equip it or another Spellbook they may own or cancel the notice by using the keys given in the notification (Default key: for accepting). The notification repeats until the player equips a Spellbook or leaves the Halloween map.
- The Spellbook Magazine was added to the game.
- Made the Spellbook Magazine a base action slot item for players to equip and use when playing on a server that uses Halloween Spells
- [Undocumented] Updated the description of the Spellbook Magazine.
- The backpack icon for the Spellbook Magazine is a screenshot of its model, which comes from a "Halloween prop" that is not used in any Valve-made maps, despite the item having no visual appearance when equipped. It was later used on the Payload cart on Gravestone.
- Inside the folded tip, the Teufort Reader Page from the Spectral Halloween Special can be seen, however, formatted differently. The part of the page that can be seen is the end of the "Magician's Familiar for Sale" article.
- A part of the "The Wizardcon MCLVI" article can also be seen in the back of the model.