Were you thinking, "I really like playing TF2, but I wish there was a King of the Hill map set in a Chinese cityscape"? Well, your oddly specific and scarily prescient dreams have come true! Introducing Kong King - TF2’s first city-themed map!
— TF2 Official Blog
Kong King is a King of the Hill map. It was released in the August 10, 2012 Patch.
Kong King takes place in the middle of an unspecified Chinese city. It is the first official map released by Valve that is set in an urban environment. It is based on the video game Sleeping Dogs and was created by community member Valentin Levillain, aka 3Dnj. It is a largely two-story map, with a covered control point on the second floor in the middle. The map has a very vertical design, with multiple signs, and other outcroppings for a crafty player to jump onto. There is a lot of detail in the map; including signs in Chinese, apartment buildings overlooking the map with air conditioners in the windows, boxes littered about, and abandoned team-colored buses at either side of the map.
- The Park: The center of the map, with park benches, plants, and two small sheds as the only cover.
- The Pillar Rooms: Two symmetrical rooms under the park with staircases going up directly to the point.
- The Streets: Two wide streets running in front of either team's spawn.
- The Covered Bridges: Wide, straight bridges perpendicular to each team's street.
- The Buses: Directly in front of the front spawn doors of either team, there is a team-colored bus as cover on the street.
- The Short Stairs: The staircase up is the direct route to the park from spawn, just beyond the buses. The ramp down is the direct route to that side's Pillar Room.
- The Side Stairs: Two switchback stairs on either side of the map, connecting the Pillar rooms with the Park.
- The Double stairs: A long flanking route containing two parallel sets of stairs, one covered, one uncovered.
- The Alleyways: The zigzagging path from the right spawn door to the Side Stairs.
- The Tunnels: The underground path from the bus to one of the Pillar Rooms.
- The Small Tunnels: Rooms accessed by a door underneath the Covered Bridges, or a door in one of the Tunnels.
Control Point timing
| Control Point
August 10, 2012 Patch
- Added Kong King to the game.
August 11, 2012 Patch
- Added the .nav file for Kong King.
September 4, 2012 Patch
- Updated Koth_King
- Added some geometry to hide floating staircases outside of playspace.
- Performance improvements from prop reduction, additional surfaces tagged as nodraw, and reduced overlay counts.
- Fixed some building faces where extra faces were being generated behind windows/etc due to spaces in geometry.
September 21, 2012 Patch
- Updated koth_king
- Reflections fixed for the floors and some glass windows.
- Modified model file for the sign 6 through 9 to avoid Red signs on Blu side of the map.
- Modified light pole to merge bulb and pole into a single model for perf.
- Fixed location where mini-Sentry Guns can shoot through a bush without being seen.
- Clipping pass.
- Added glass on footbridge roof and lights nearby.
- Prop reduction for perf.
- Some props changed to non-solid for player mobility.
- Adjusted health and ammo in various spots.
July 10, 2013 Patch
- Health and ammo packs now match on Red and Blu sides of the map
- Players can no longer build in spawn doors
- There are two signs that bear Chinese text for "Reliable Excavation Demolition" (可靠的開挖破坏) and "Builders League United" (建设者联盟联合).
- Other signs read "Fish and Chips" (油炸魚排加炒薯條), "Traditional Restaurant" (傳統的餐廳), "Red Pharmacy" (紅色藥房), "Bar" (酒吧), and "Civil Engineering Industrial Company" (土木工程產業公司). Some signs are references to Hong Kong, such as "Underground Railway" (地鐵)
- The map is based on Hong Kong, the city in which Sleeping Dogs takes place.
- The control point is located in a Chinese resting stand.
- Despite it take place in Hong Kong, there are simplified words that Hong Kong people seldom use.
The street, and the bus in front of BLU spawn.
One of the covered bridges, located upstairs from the BLU resupply.
The Park, and the control point, in the center.
The Pillar room, showing the staircase leading directly to the point.
- ↑ Level Designer & Artist - Team Fortress 2 - Valve Software