Were you thinking, "I really like playing TF2, but I wish there was a King of the Hill map set in a Chinese cityscape"? Well, your oddly specific and scarily prescient dreams have come true! Introducing Kong King - TF2’s first city-themed map!
— TF2 Official Blog
Kong King is a King of the Hill map. It was released in the August 10, 2012 Patch.
Kong King takes place in the middle of an unspecified Chinese city. It is the first official map released by Valve that is set in an urban environment. It is based on the video game Sleeping Dogs and was created by community member Valentin Levillain, aka 3Dnj.
The goal is to capture the control point and seize it for a duration of 3 minutes, while stopping the other team from doing the same.
Control Point Timing
| Control Point
August 10, 2012 Patch
- Added Kong King to the game.
August 11, 2012 Patch
- Added the .nav file for Kong King.
September 4, 2012 Patch
- Updated Koth_King
- Added some geometry to hide floating staircases outside of playspace.
- Performance improvements from prop reduction, additional surfaces tagged as nodraw, and reduced overlay counts.
- Fixed some building faces where extra faces were being generated behind windows/etc due to spaces in geometry.
September 21, 2012 Patch
- Updated koth_king
- Reflections fixed for the floors and some glass windows.
- Modified model file for the sign 6 through 9 to avoid Red signs on Blu side of the map.
- Modified light pole to merge bulb and pole into a single model for perf.
- Fixed location where mini-Sentry Guns can shoot through a bush without being seen.
- Clipping pass.
- Added glass on footbridge roof and lights nearby.
- Prop reduction for perf.
- Some props changed to non-solid for player mobility.
- Adjusted health and ammo in various spots.
July 10, 2013 Patch
- Health and ammo packs now match on Red and Blu sides of the map
- Players can no longer build in spawn doors
- There are two signs that bear Chinese text for "Reliable Excavation Demolition" (可靠的开挖破坏, kěkào de kāi wā pòhuài) and "Builders League United" (建设者联盟联合, jiànshè zhě liánméng liánhé).
- Other signs read "Fish and Chips" (油炸鱼排加炒薯条), "Traditional Cafeteria" (傳統的餐廳), "Red Pharmacy" (紅色藥房), "Bar" (酒吧), and "Civil Engineering Industrial Company" (土木工程產業公司).
- The map is based on Hong Kong, the city in which Sleeping Dogs takes place.
Stairs leading up to the central area.
One of the bridges located upstairs from the BLU resupply.
The underground area with a staircase leading directly to the point.
- ↑ Level Designer & Artist - Team Fortress 2 - Valve Software