Halloween Spells are single use tool items that are used to give various Halloween themed effects to weapons, cosmetic items, or classes, depending on the spell. They were added during Scream Fortress 2012, and were enabled and obtainable annually during subsequent Halloween events, prior to Scream Fortress 2015.
The Spell Items released during the Scream Fortress 2012 event lasted from October 26, 2012 to November 9, 2012. Any spell effects that were applied to any items, along with any unused spells, were erased from players' inventories upon launching Team Fortress 2 after the end of this event. They were enabled and made obtainable again for Scream Fortress 2013, which lasted from October 29, 2013 to November 11, 2013.
As of the November 11, 2013 Patch patch the effects of Halloween spells were made visible only during Halloween events, Full Moons, or on servers under the effects of the Enchantment: Eternaween tool item. Spell effects were no longer removed from the items they had been applied to, but spell potions that had not been applied to an item vanished from a player's backpack if the game was opened after the Halloween event. As of the October 23, 2014 Patch patch, Halloween spell potions were tradable even outside the time frame of a Halloween event.
During Scream Fortress 2015, Halloween spells were not acquirable for the first time since their release, as Haunted Halloween Gifts were replaced with the Soul Gargoyle, which did not distribute spells. Shortly after that the Tough Break Update made Halloween spells untradeable as an undocumented change, thus removing the loophole of applying any previously existing Halloween Spells.
Prior to Scream Fortress 2015, they could be found during Halloween events inside of Haunted Halloween Gifts on Ghost Fort, or from a Pile Of Curses.
Types of Spells
- The backpack icons for the spells incorrectly use the coloring overlays intended for paint cans.
- The spells cannot be applied to Stock weapons. The player is able to select a spell from the backpack and a confirmation message appears, but the effect is not applied and the spell is not consumed.
- Spells meant to be used with only one class can be applied to accessories which can be equipped by multiple classes, granting the spell's ability to whatever class wears the affected accessory.
- This is due to them all applying the same effect, "Voices From Below". The only real difference is which cosmetics they can be applied to.
- When a weapon with the Exorcism spell activates a Spy's Dead Ringer, no ghosts appear.
- Gourd Grenades cannot be applied to the Sticky Jumper, and Squash Rockets cannot be applied to the Rocket Jumper.
- Sentry Quad-Pumpkins can be applied to the Gunslinger, despite the fact that the Mini-Sentry is unable to fire rockets.
- Squash Rockets can be applied to the Cow Mangler 5000, despite the fact that the Cow Mangler 5000 does not fire rockets.
- The backpack icons are screenshots of the models. Each type of flask and its textures are present in the game files.
- The liquid of those flasks is set to be paintable.
- There is an unused flask model, which resembles the format of the Exorcism Halloween spell. The biggest difference is that the model contains a sticker of the Merasmus hat at the back and it also includes a pick-up rotating animation.
- The unused flask model is also set to be paintable and there are seven different skins for each color of the Halloween spells that appears on the backpack icons (red, orange, cyan, green, alternative cyan, blue and purple).