Here at Mann Co., we take care of our mercs. After you’ve completed your first mission, you will get, free of charge, one Mann Co.-brand canteen. It's equippable in your action slot and filled to the damn brim with life-giving air. If air’s not your thing, these canteens can also be filled with a variety of power-ups at an Upgrade Station.
The Power Up Canteen is a default action item used in the Mann vs. Machine game mode. This item was originally obtained by completing your first Mann vs. Machine mission or via the crafting system.
When equipped and filled at an Upgrade Station, it is valid for up to three uses. Using the Canteen will alert the entire team via a sound cue as well as a message in the chat box. If it is not equipped, a notification will be displayed allowing you to equip it by pressing J or cancel by pressing K. The notification will continue to be displayed until you equip it, as long as you are on a Mann vs. Machine map.
The Power Up Canteen also doubles as a cosmetic item, showing up on the class model's belt.
Medics have the option of giving their Medi Gun the "Canteen Specialist" upgrade, which applies the effects of any Canteen the Medic uses to the player they are healing. The effect is instant and only applies to the one teammate being healed upon usage; boosts of timed duration cannot be shared across multiple teammates like ÜberCharges can. The Canteen Specialist upgrade also reduces the cost of refills for the Medic by 10 per level (with a minimum of 5) and increases the duration of any timed effects by one second per level.
There are currently 5 buff types. You can only fill one canteen with the same buff, each with up to 3 uses. After being filled, the canteen changes its appearance, though they all glow.
|| Supplies 5 seconds of ÜberCharge to user and their Sentry Gun.
|| 75 credits
|| Critical Hit Boost
|| Full critical hits for 5 seconds. Doubles firing rate of user's Sentry Gun for 5 seconds.
|| 100 credits
|| Ammo and Clip Refill
|| Instant ammo and clip refill. Also refills Metal and Sapper; does not refill Sentry Gun ammo or Cloak.
|| 25 credits
|| Teleport to Spawn
|| Immediately returns user to the respawn room and supplies a temporary speed boost. Cannot be shared by Medics.
|| 10 credits
|| Building Upgrade
|| Upgrades user's buildings to Level 3 and fully repairs all existing buildings almost instantly. Only available to Engineers.
|| 50 credits
|| Ghost in the Machine|
Use a canteen charged with 'Teleport to Spawn' and then kill the bomb carrier within 5 seconds.
During a wave, use a canteen charged with 'Instant Building Upgrade' to build a new sentry gun within 3 seconds of your previous sentry gun's destruction.
|| Vial Sharing|
As a Medic, share your canteen 5 times in a single wave.
|| Shell Extension|
During a wave, use a canteen charged with 'Ammo Reload' to refill an empty weapon slot.
August 15, 2012 Patch (Mann vs. Machine Update)
- [Undocumented] Added Power Up Canteen to the game.
April 3, 2013 Patch
- Fixed a bug in Mann Vs. Machine related to carrying buildings and using the "Building Upgrade" canteen.
November 6, 2013 Patch
- [Undocumented] Fixed the bug that made the Battery Canteens and Power Up Canteen unusable.
February 29, 2016 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added a normal quality Power Up Canteen as a default action item.
- Backpack icons for each buff type exists in the game files. These backpack icons shows a different texture comparing to the final ones:
- The Übercharge buff canteen has a cross icon instead of an Übercharge icon.
- The Critical Hit Boost buff canteen has a lightning bolt icon instead of a Kritz icon.
- The Ammo and Clip Refill buff canteen is darker.
- The Teleport to Spawn buff canteen has two arrows as an icon instead of a house icon.
- The Building Upgrade buff canteen has a different color.
- On one of the update pages there is a torn photo next to the canteens, indicating that there may have been a sixth upgrade.
- Using a Building Upgrade Canteen while hauling a building results in various buggy effects.
- If the building is a Sentry Gun, the Engineer will appear to have a Level 3 Sentry in front of him. When he places it, it will take damage, and be placed as a Level 1 Sentry Gun.
- If the building is a Dispenser, the Engineer will appear to have a Level 3 Dispenser in front of him. However, the Ammo screen will be blank. When he places it, it will take damage, however, it will remain at Level 3.
- If the building is a Teleporter, rings of light from an active Teleporter will be left where he was standing. When he places it, it will take damage, and the rings of light will disappear. Like the Dispenser, it will remain at Level 3.
- The Ammo Refill Canteen suffers from several bugs.
- This Canteen doesn't work on energy-based weapons, such as the Cow Mangler 5000 or the Righteous Bison.
- If at least one non-melee, non-energy-based weapon has both its clip and its reserves empty (or only its reserves empty, in case of weapons such as the Flame Thrower or the Sniper Rifle), then using this Canteen won't refill the clip of this weapon and the weapons located after this one (in the Scout's case, the Pistol is after the Scattergun).
- Using an Ammo Refill Canteen will erase all loaded shots from pre-load weapons such as the Beggar's Bazooka, unless it occurs under the conditions of the bug listed above.
- Activating 'MMPH' with the Phlogistinator as soon the Übercharge Canteen is about to run out will cause the invulnerability effects of the 'MMPH' to end mid-taunt.
Unused Übercharge buff canteen backpack icon
Unused Critical Hit Boost buff canteen backpack icon
Unused Ammo and Clip Refill buff canteen backpack icon
Unused Teleport to Spawn buff canteen backpack icon
Unused Building Upgrade buff canteen backpack icon