The Description Tag is a tool item. It is represented as two name tags tied together with a piece of yellow string.
Using this tool in conjunction with an item in the backpack allows the player to bestow it with a custom description of 80 characters or less. Doing so consumes and removes the Description Tag from the player's backpack. Items with custom descriptions can be reverted to their original state by selecting the item in question and clicking the Restore button. However, doing so does not return the Description Tag to the player.
Applying a custom description to an item replaces the default description if there is one. A custom description can be identified by quotation marks placed around the new text, which do not appear for default descriptions. Any extra effects on the item (such as +25% max health) and counters on any Strange items are displayed above the new description. Description Tags can also be applied on items with a custom description already applied, replacing the previous description.
If a Description Tag is used on a Stock item, the item converted from Normal to Unique quality. The newly described item exists separately to the original Stock item. As of the Über Update, re-named or described Stock weapons can be used in crafting to make Scrap Metal.
- The Description Tag was added to the game.
- Added check to prevent control characters from user-provided item names and descriptions (replaced with spaces).
- Edited item names and descriptions that contained grave accents (’) to use single quotation marks (').
- [Undocumented] Grenade Launchers, Pistols, and Shotguns using Name or Description Tags now properly use the
- [Undocumented] Lowered the price of the Description Tag in the Mann Co. Store.
- Description Tags used on weapons that became Vintage following the March 15, 2011 Patch cannot be removed.
- On weapons with a Festivizer applied, custom descriptions cannot be removed without first removing the Festivizer.
- Description Tags cannot be used on craft items like Refined Metal, Mann Co. Supply Crates, Dueling Badges, Noise Makers, Strange Parts, weapons being used on a test run from the Mann Co. Store, all five Tour of Duty Badges, Dueling Mini-Games, other Description Tags, Stock Disguise Kits, Stock Destruction PDAs, and Mann Co. Supply Crate Keys.