Make your master piece!
— Jungle Inferno announcement, Day 2
War Paint is an item type that was added in the Jungle Inferno Update to replace campaign weapon drops and weapon cases, and was first showcased on Day 2 of the update. When a War Paint is selected, it can be previewed on a weapon and applied to create a new unique weapon with the selected pattern. War Paints and War Painted weapons have the Decorated quality, but can also be obtained in Strange or Unusual qualities.
War Paints listed on the Steam Community Market can be previewed by selecting the "Inspect in Game..." option located within the tab displayed when hovering over a listed War Paint. Selecting this option will open the in-game War Paint Loadout menu, with the chosen War Paint's pattern variation automatically entered; thus allowing the player to preview its design on all applicable weapons.
- 1 Demonstration
- 2 Loadout menu
- 3 Paintable weapons
- 4 War Paint Collections
- 4.1 Jungle Jackpot Collection
- 4.2 Infernal Reward Collection
- 4.3 Decorated War Hero Collection
- 4.4 Contract Campaigner Collection
- 4.5 Saxton Select Collection
- 4.6 Mann Co. Events Collection
- 4.7 Winter 2017 Collection
- 4.8 Scream Fortress X Collection
- 4.9 Winter 2019 Collection
- 4.10 Scream Fortress XII Collection
- 4.11 Winter 2020 Collection
- 4.12 Scream Fortress XIII Collection
- 4.13 Scream Fortress XIV Collection
- 5 Update history
- 6 Bugs
- 7 Notes
- 8 See also
- 9 References
War Paints can be applied to any compatible weapons within the Loadout Menu. These cannot be given at the user's discretion, but can be bought if available on the Community Market. War Paints can be randomized as to generate pattern variations or can be manually selected. This Loadout for War Paints resembles the Loadout Menu choice used to select a War Paint for a weapon when redeeming a War Paint. Also, they come in different exteriors, which are: Factory New, Minimal Wear, Field-Tested, Well-Worn, and Battle Scarred.
|List of paintable weapons|
|Scattergun1||Shortstop||Soda Popper||Winger||Holy Mackerel|
|Rocket Launcher1||Black Box||Air Strike||Disciplinary Action|
|Flame Thrower||Degreaser||Dragon's Fury1 2||Detonator||Scorch Shot||Powerjack||Back Scratcher|
|Grenade Launcher1||Loch-n-Load||Loose Cannon||Iron Bomber||Stickybomb Launcher||Scotsman's Skullcutter||Claidheamh Mòr||Persian Persuader|
|Minigun1||Brass Beast||Tomislav||Family Business|
|Crusader's Crossbow||Medi Gun1||Ubersaw||Amputator|
|Sniper Rifle1||Bazaar Bargain||SMG||Shahanshah|
|Shotgun1||Panic Attack||Pistol||Reserve Shooter|
War Paint Collections
Jungle Jackpot Collection
Infernal Reward Collection
Decorated War Hero Collection
Contract Campaigner Collection
Saxton Select Collection
Mann Co. Events Collection
Winter 2017 Collection
Scream Fortress X Collection
Winter 2019 Collection
Scream Fortress XII Collection
Winter 2020 Collection
Scream Fortress XIII Collection
Scream Fortress XIV Collection
- 2 new War Paint collections made up of community-made War Paints and official War Paints.
- 2 new War Paint collections filled with Classic weapon skins being brought back for another tour.
- Fixed not being able to redeem War Paints.
- Fixed War Paints not displaying properly in the backpack.
- Fixed showing only a few weapons instead of the full set when redeeming a War Paint.
- Fixed War Paints and weapons that came out of campaign cases not displaying the correct rarity.
- Added a Steam Workshop tag for War Paint submissions.
- Updated War Paints purchased from the Mercenary Park Gift Shop so they use all wear levels.
- War Paints directly purchased with Blood Money in the Mercenary Park Gift Shop and the Dragon Slayer come as Factory New again.
- Existing War Paints and weapons affected by yesterday's change will be fixed-up in the coming days.
- Fixed the War Paint icons in the Steam Community Market.
- War Paints now have individual listings on the Steam Community Market.
December 21, 2017 Patch (Smissmas 2017)
- Added the Winter 2017 War Paint Case
- Contains 15 new community-contributed War Paints
- War Paints can now be used for Mann Co. Trade-Ups.
- Fixed missing War Paint icons in the Steam Community Market and Steam Inventory.
- Updated materials for the Dovetailed War Paint to fix a problem with the alpha channel.
- Fixed seeing "Red Rock Roscoe War Paint" as a valid tool for all items in the context menu.
- Added the BLU skin to the Neo Tokyo War Paint.
- Fixed some War Paint weapons not being valid trade-up items for the Civilian Grade Stat Clock.
October 19, 2018 Patch (Scream Fortress 2018)
- Added the Scream Fortress X War Paint Case
- Contains 10 new community-created War Paints that make-up the Scream Fortress X War Paint Collection
December 16, 2019 Patch (Smissmas 2019)
- Added the Winter 2019 War Paint Case.
- Contains 10 new community-created War Paints that make-up the Winter 2019 Collection.
October 1, 2020 Patch (Scream Fortress 2020)
- Added the Scream Fortress XII War Paint Case
- Contains 15 new community-created War Paints that make-up the Scream Fortress XII War Paint Collection
- Fixed missing War Paint icons in the Steam Community Market
December 3, 2020 Patch (Smissmas 2020)
- Added the Winter 2020 War Paint Case.
- Contains 13 new community-created War Paints that make-up the Winter 2020 Collection.
- Fixed Strange war paint weapons not including the Strange attribute in their name.
- Updated the Coffin Nail warpaint for the Shotgun to add the missing "has team color paintkit" attribute.
- Updated the War Paint inspection panel to support all seed values.
October 5, 2021 Patch (Scream Fortress 2021)
- Added the Scream Fortress XIII War Paint Case.
- Contains 13 new community-created War Paints that make-up the Scream Fortress XIII War Paint Collection.
- Updated the Swashbuckled war paint.
- Fixed an issue with the Holy Mackerel.
- Removed Yeti gradient.
- Replaced Yeti gun oil sticker with skull and crossbones.
- Updated the Necromanced war paint.
- Fixed an issue with the Holy Mackerel.
- Fixed BLU team colors.
- Updated the pickup/drop sounds for paintkits.
- [Undocumented] Renamed "Damascus & Mahogany" to "Damascus and Mahogany".
- [Undocumented] Renamed "Kiln & Conquer" to "Kiln and Conquer".
- Updated spelling for Sarsparilla Sprayed to Sarsaparilla Sprayed.
October 5, 2022 Patch (Scream Fortress 2022)
- Added the Scream Fortress XIV War Paint Case.
- Contains 11 new community-created War Paints that make-up the Scream Fortress XIV War Paint Collection.
- Fixed a materials problem with the Ghoul Blaster war paint.
- Fixed Stat Clock cancelling out ÜberCharge and self-illuminating materials on weapons using War Paints (community fix from makaroffilya).
- Fixed not seeing the correct inspect image for the Red Rock Roscoe after previewing another paintkit item.
- If a player is ÜberCharged, Decorated and War Painted weapons do not show the ÜberCharged weapon skin in first person.
- While generating randomized seeds for War Paints in the inspect menu, the Community Sparkle effect may rarely show up.
- If the player inspects a War Paint and then inspects a weapon, the weapon appears smaller while inspecting.
- War Paints cannot be applied to existing weapons in a player's inventory; using one creates a new item instead.
- War Paints obtained from keyless cases are never Strange or Unusual when unboxed, however, it is possible to obtain Strange versions through Civilian Grade Stat Clocks and Trade-Ups.
- For example, the Nutcracker Mk.II War Paint from the Contract Campaigner Collection can be made Strange through the use of a Stat Clock because it is a Civilian Grade paint. If this process is repeated 10 times, the Strange Civilian Grade War Paints could then be used in a Trade-Up to receive either a Strange Iron Wood Mk.II War Paint or a Strange Macabre Web Mk.II War Paint as those are the two Freelance Grade paints in the collection. This can be repeated for each tier, multiplying the amount of Civilian Grade paints needed by 10 for every higher tier.
- Backpack icons for War Painted weapons are affected by certain console commands that affect lighting, such as