The Sound of Medicine
|The Sound of Medicine|
|Released:||November 21, 2013|
The Sound of Medicine is a movie that was released on November 21st, 2013 to promote release of the Two Cities Update.
|[The screen fades in to a shot of a dove, which then flies away.]
[The camera then fades out and in to the Medic, reviewing his project on the chalkboard, when it starts to shake and the lights flickering.]
[The camera then switches to the tracks of the Tank, rolling into the town, crushing the pavement and crashing a table, with the camera focusing on the feet of the robot army running in, one kicking over a beer stein on the ground.]
[The camera switches to the RED base to reveal the Sniper and Heavy walking out of the base, each picking up a capsule-like device. The camera soon switches to the gate of the town, slowly panning out as the Soldier fires a rocket at the robots, while the Heavy runs to the front line.]
[The camera cuts to the Sniper, scoping-in on a Sniper Robot. The Sniper Robot fires an arrow through the scope of the RED Sniper, piercing his right eye, killing him. The RED Sniper falls backward while the device he picked up drops and opens its flaps.]
[The camera quickly cuts to the Medic, as he reacts and runs to the battlefield. The camera then pans to the RED Soldier and Heavy firing as they retreat while dodging grenades. Then, the camera switches to the robot army as two Demoman Robots are taken down. The camera soon switches back to the RED mercs being overwhelmed and retreating. The camera pans out to reveal the RED Scout retreating with the Heavy and Soldier.]
[The camera cuts to squad of Demoman Robots, lobbing grenades over the bridge. The camera then pans to reveal the RED Pyro as he and the others run as they are being overwhelmed by grenades. The Soldier is then taken down, followed by the Pyro. The Heavy hollers, followed by the Scout, as the Heavy is then gibbed. The camera slows down as the Scout flies, thrown by the explosive blast, with the Heavy's gibbed parts falling to the floor and blood splashing.]
[The Scout soon falls on the floor. As the Heavy's body parts tumble past him; he catches the Heavy's head while the device falls next to him. The Scout then appears to faint.]
[The camera pans as the device soon makes electrical noises; the Scout looks at the device, as it opens up and displays the Heavy hologram. The Scout has a surprised expression while looking at the device. The Medic! track is played as the camera slows down and switches to the explosion on the bridge, revealing Medic jumping off the bridge, healing the hologram. A bunch of tentacle-like beams then grab the Heavy's body parts. The Scout stares in a surprised manner as the beam takes the head away from him. The Heavy's body is pieced together, followed by a reddish-white flash.]
[The Medic lands as the Heavy is revived, demonstrating the Medic's ability to reanimate killed teammates. The Soldier and Pyro's holograms are shown as the Heavy then laughs, followed by the Medic.]
Scout: Oh man!
[The Scout then screams in fear as the ROBOTS! (Soundtrack) music is played. The Medic looks behind him as a Tank turns a corner and the Soldier Robots file out in front of them. The camera pans as the Soldier Robots turn towards the mercs, one by one.]
Medic: Everyone, behind me! Incoming!
[The camera pans out as the Soldier Robots fire rockets simultaneously at them. The Heavy and Scout take cover as the Medic faces the rocket barrage. The explosion obscures the view of the mercs. As the smoke clears, it is revealed the Medic has deployed his projectile shield as the Pyro covers his eyes, the Scout covers his mouth, the Heavy covers his ears and the Soldier covers his crotch. Surprised that they are still alive, the shield fades as the mercs with the exception of the Medic pick up their weapons and prepare themselves for battle, followed by the Medic.]
Heavy: This will help.
[The camera cuts to a sign, displaying the German Mann Co. logo. The logo is then stamped and bolted with a "MACHINE: "A Tale of Two Cities"" plague covering "Versand: Lieferdienst & Schlägertruppe" text and branded with "VS." over the "Co." text, forming "MANN VS. MACHINE: A Tale of Two Cities"]
Medic: (Mad laughter). Anuhza successful procedure!
[The camera cuts to the mercs as they push the offence, protected by the Medic's shield, mowing down robots. Three Scout Robots run into the shield, bounce off, and blow up [demonstrating the contact damage function of the projectile shield]. The camera pans to reveal the Scout and Sniper walking casually behind the group as they fist-bump.]
[The screen then cuts to a text with the Team Fortress 2: Free to Play logo with the text "www.teamfortress.com". The screen soon blacks out]
- The title recalls The Sound of Music, a 1965 film about a German-singing family in nearby Salzburg.
- At 0:08, just as the Tank crashes through a Biergarten, a beer stein is already on the ground in the foreground, deliberately placed to display a coat of arms, suggesting that either Rottenburg’s or, more likely, Medic’s familial coat of arms is a red cross on a white shield on the chest of a German eagle; that is, (blazon) Argent a cross couped Gules, escutcheon on the breast of an eagle displayed Sable, crowned and legged Argent.
- Even though the Sniper at 0:12 can be seen taking his Reanimator, he was not revived on-screen. During the final shot, the Sniper is shown alive again.
- If you look closely at 0:12 you'll notice that the scene is mirrored, as evidenced by Heavy and Sniper's gear being positioned differently.
- At 0:12, the Soldier and Pyro were not seen taking their Reanimators, yet at 1:08, the Soldier and Pyro's Reanimators can be seen, then at 1:18, their Reanimators disappear and they're revived.
- At 0:15, the rocket Soldier fired has the grenade arc effect, like in the Meet The Medic video
- At 0:22, the Medic's footsteps reuse the Combine's footsteps from Half-Life 2.
- From 0:23 to 0:30 explosion sounds from Half-Life 2 are played instead of normal Team Fortress 2 sounds.
- From 0:40 a fragment of Medic! can be heard playing backwards as Heavy is revived.
- At 1:05, the Soldier Robots came from the room where the pit is located.
- 1:17 is a reference to the "Three-Wise Monkeys", "See no evil" with Pyro covering its eyes, "Speak no evil" with Scout covering his mouth, "Hear no evil" with Heavy covering his ears, and "Do no evil" with Soldier covering his genitals.
- At 1:22 the team make their animations similar to their class menu animations.
- At 1:25 before the MvM logo is bolted onto a German version of the Mann Co. Shipping sign, it reads "Mann Co. Versand" with words underneath saying "Lieferdienst & Schlägertruppe"
- Versand means "Delivery" or "Shipping",
- Lieferdienst means "delivery service", especially of a business' own products
- Schlägertruppe means a "gang of thugs", which is a team of hired enforcers or mercenaries,
- so, Lieferdienst & Schlägertruppe roughly translates to "delivery and thugs",
- which compares with Mann Co. Shipping’s English slogan, "We ship products and get in fights".
- At 1:26, the top left arm stamping the MvM logo bears the Red Heavy emblem.
- At 1:28, the Heavy can be seen wielding an Australium version of the Minigun.
- At 1:30, a bird (likely Archimedes) is seen standing on the Medic's backpack.
- At 1:33, when the Soldier fired his Rocket Launcher, a Sentry Gun rocket firing sound is played instead.