| Well (Capture the Flag)
| Basic information
| Map type
|| Capture the Flag
| File name:
| Map Info
|| Daylight, sunny
| Deep Water:
| Map Items
| Health Kits:
|| ×4 • ×8
| Ammo Boxes:
|| ×8 • ×10
| Map Photos
| Map Overview
...gonna take down to the pain train station in train town...
— The Demoman drunkenly trying to remember to catch a train
Well is a an official Capture the Flag map. Well was released in the January 25, 2008 Patch, and was the first official map added after the game's initial release.
Well (Capture the Flag) is a simpler variant of Well (Control Point), the major difference being the middle building. In Well (CP), the middle building is replaced by a much larger two-story building with two trains running through it. On the other hand, Well (CTF) has a smaller shed with only one train passing through. Additionally, the respawn rooms in Well (CP) are behind where the Intelligence is located, and the respawn rooms in Well (CTF) are located where the second Control Point on Well (CP) is.
Intelligence room (Rocket Silo)
- Intelligence: The Intelligence lies in the heart of the team's bases. It sits on a small cart in the center of a circular launch platform. The platform is accessible through two sets of stairs on either side of the platform from the front and another two sets of stairs from the back.
- Rocket: Above the Intelligence is a massive rocket. When the round ends, the rocket in the winning team's base starts releasing exhaust, as if it is about to launch.
- Intelligence Room: The room may be accessed by four entrances. There are two entrances from the ground floor. Two more entrances lead from the third floor to catwalks around the perimeter of the room, and above the rocket launch platform. A medium medpack and ammo crate sit behind the Intelligence platform, near the back wall, and small ammo packs lie at the far left and right sides of the room.
Front of Base
- Ground Floor (Atrium): The main room of each team's base. Two wide corridors leading to large roll-up doors are situated at each end of the room. A small room sits between the corridors, with a staircase to the Sniper Deck and a one-way hatch leading to the moat outside the base. The spawn rooms are at either end of The Atrium. The right spawn room faces the door at the end of the corridor, while the left spawn room is set perpendicular to the door. Catwalks run the perimeter of the rear portion of the atrium, leading to the Sniper deck through side hallways on the left and right.
- Water Access: Entering each base, there is a hallway immediately to the side that connects the two entrances. There is a staircase that leads to a side hallway on the second floor, and a one-way door that leads to the two moats in the Yard.
- Second Floor (Sniper Deck): A long, windowed corridor that runs the width of each team's base. The other team's second floor is visible from each team's base. The second floor is commonly frequented by Snipers, as the windows provide a clear view of most of the Yard, and players running along the second floor on the enemy side. A brickwork corridor in the center leads to the third floor, and a corridor at either end leads to the ground floor catwalks.
- Third Floor (Attic): The third floor of each team's base. A wooden floor runs the perimeter of the room, leading to a brickwork corridor to the Sniper Deck on one side, and an open doorway to the Intelligence room overlooking the Silo on the other. The center of the room opens up to the ground floor. The third floor is popular with Engineers, because Sentry Guns are difficult to hit from the bottom two floors. Medium health packs and ammo crates lie on both sides of the room.
- Yard: The area between RED and BLU's bases. Outside each base is a deep moat, spanned by a bridge from each entrance. Two bridges outside each roll-up door cross the moat, leading to the central area of the yard. Many parked trains and boxcars provide cover, and the middle boxcar has a pile of crates and pallets that allow players to jump on top of the cars.
- Moat: The moat is a trench of very deep water that lies outside each base and spans the width of the base. It is accessible from the Yard, or jumping in through the one-way door inside each base.
- Middle: The middle of the yard features a small, long shed, with a single active train running through it periodically. Two medium health packs and two small ammo crates lie on the tracks, on either side of the shed. Players hit by the train will be killed and buildings hit by the train will be destroyed, without any residual metal dropping.
The trainhouse in the center.
- While there are features that have been added and removed from the map, the design of Well (Capture the Flag) is more true to the original Team Fortress Classic map.
- The rockets in RED and BLU's bases are much taller than the buildings they're housed in, yet are never seen outdoors.