Meet the Medic
|Meet the Medic|
|Released:||June 23, 2011|
[Fade from black to a seemingly peaceful rocky hillside]
Scout: "Move cyclops, move!"
[Cut to Scout and [Demoman fleeing from a barrage of rockets.]
Scout: "Come on, come on, almost - augh!"
[Scout gets thrown sideways by a rocket; Demoman keeps going]
[Cut to Scout lying on the ground, he attempts to get to his knees but collapses.]
Scout: "Eerrrrgh! Argh."
[A trio of rockets arc down towards Scout, accompanied by a whistling noise]
[Scout turns toward the rockets]
Scout: "Whoah! What the f-"
[Cut to a long shot of the explosion, Scout is flung yelling and flailing towards the viewer]
[Scout smashes face-first into a pane of glass in the foreground, breaking it and startling a dove.]
["Meet the Medic" card appears.]
[Cut to inside the building. As the Scout slides off the window, the camera tilts down and turns right]
Heavy: "Oh-hoh-ho no more!" [Heavy laughs loudly while the Medic explains simultaneously:]
Medic: "Wait, wait, wait, it gets better."
[A Little Heart to Heart is barely audible in the background. Camera continues to turn and tilt, revealing the Medic, casually chatting with an opened-up and conscious RED Heavy, whilst holding Heavy's heart in his hand. A prototype Medi Gun mounted to an overhead rig is firing its beam into the Heavy]
Medic: "When the patient woke up, his skeleton was missing, and the doctor was never heard from again!" [Laughs madly]
[Heavy pauses momentarily, and laughs again, banging his palm on a tray of surgical tools next to him]
Medic: "Anyway, that's how I lost my medical license, heh." [Heavy suddenly looks very concerned]
[A dove pops up from inside Heavy's gut, surprising both the doctor and his patient]
Medic: "Archimedes! No!" [Shoos the dove away] "It's filthy in there! Eugh."
[Heavy looks at Medic in mild surprise. Medic does not notice]
Medic: "Birds." [Medic chuckles]
[Cut to a mechanical heart device on a tray. The word "Über" can be seen on a small charge meter]
[Medic grabs the device]
Medic: "Now, most hearts couldn't withstand this voltage," [Medic plugs the device into Heavy's heart and brings it into the Medi Gun's beam] "...but I'm fairly certain your heart..."
[Heavy's heart explodes]
[Cut to a trio of doves. Archimedes gets knocked off his perch by a piece of the Heavy's heart]
[Cut back to Medic, with Heavy in the background]
Heavy: "What was noise?"
[Medic quickly recovers from his surprise, casually removing the remains of Heavy's heart from the Über device]
Medic: "The sound of progress, my friend."
[Cut to Medic opening a refrigerator containing several hearts, a Sandvich, and a few beers. One exceptionally large heart is labeled "Mega Baboon"]
Spy Head: "Kill me."
Medic: "Later." [Closes fridge door]
[Cut to Medic standing by the Heavy, baboon heart and Über device in each hand]
Medic: "Where was I? Ah, there we go." [Jams device into heart]
[Cuts to Medic holding the cyborg heart in front of the medi beam]
Medic: "Come on, come on..." [Heart starts beating, Medic starts laughing madly as the heart starts flashing unevenly.]
[Heart glows red; Heavy laughs nervously]
[Cuts to the Über meter on the device going to full]
[Cuts to Medic, who has stopped laughing and is squinting and leaning his head away, as if expecting the heart to explode]
[Cuts back to perched doves for a brief moment. Archimedes has returned to his position on the perch, covered in blood, as the two doves on either side of him shuffle away from where he was standing when he was hit before]
[Heart stabilizes and stops glowing and gets overlaid by an ÜberCharge texture.]
Medic: "Oh, that looks good."
[Medic drops the heart into Heavy's open chest]
Medic: "Very nice there."
[Heavy looks at the heart] Heavy: "Should I be awake for this?"
Medic "Ah heh. Well, no, heh." [Medic adjusts his glasses] "But as long as you are, could you hold your rib cage open a bit?"
[Heavy moves his hand as if to adjust his rib cage as Medic is pushing the heart inside] "I can't... seem..."
[Cuts to Heavy's face as he yells out in pain as a crack is heard]
[Cuts to Heavy showing Medic a snapped off rib. Both look at it tentatively]
Medic: "Oh, don't be such a baby..." [Medic takes the rib from Heavy and pinches his cheek] "...ribs grow back!"
[Medic tosses the rib aside and turns to a dove sitting on top of the Medi Gun]
Medic (whispering to the bird): "No they don't."
[Cuts to Archimedes, who cocks his head and flies away]
[Medic swings the Medi Gun over to the open Heavy and raises the power]
[The Medi Gun completely heals the Heavy, as if by magic, even repairing and sewing his clothes]
Heavy (impressed): [Inhales deeply] "What happens now?"
[Medic helps Heavy up] Medic: "Now?" [Chuckles] "Let's go practice medicine..."
[Cuts to a door bearing the red cross opening to reveal the Medic and his doves]
[Heavy runs past Medic with Sasha ready]
[Cuts to show a battlefield outside Medic's office with a RED Engineer and Sniper hiding behind cover, the injured Scout on the ground, and the wheelchair-bound RED Demoman wheeling frantically towards the Medic]
Demoman: "Medic!" [Demoman gets blown off his wheelchair by several rockets, landing face-first on the ground in front of Medic]
[Medic grimaces, then pushes his glasses up his nose and flips a switch on the Quick-Fix]
[Music intensifies as a healing beam is fired at the Demoman, healing him completely. Demoman nods toward the Medic, picks up his Stickybomb Launcher, and heads back towards the battlefield]
[Medic then fires the Quick-Fix at the RED Scout, fixing him up also, even restoring the Scout's missing tooth.]
[The Scout leaps to his feet]
Scout: "Yeah!" [The Scout grabs his Bat from out of the air as he gets up and runs off] "Woohoohoo!"
[Heavy hides behind a red truck as the Scout runs past]
[Scout runs up to a BLU Soldier and whacks him with his bat] Scout: "Oh yeah!"
[Cuts to show a massive horde of BLU Soldiers coming over the crest of the hill] Heavy: "Doctor!"
[Cuts to Heavy] Heavy: "Are you sure this will work?!"
[Cuts to Medic] Medic: "Ha ha ha, I have no idea!"
[Medic flips a switch, and a panel lights up as a meter labeled "Voltmeter" reaches full. The words "ÜberCharge Ready" can be seen on the panel, and the music swells again. Medic's backpack starts humming with power]
[Medic fires the Quick-Fix at the Heavy, who pops out from his cover]
Heavy: "EYAAAAAAAAAH!" [Cuts to show Heavy's mega baboon heart beating rapidly, then cuts back to show Heavy glowing with ÜberCharge power] "HA HA!"
[Medic and the ÜberCharged Heavy advance under rocket fire, and Heavy starts laughing]
[Cuts back to the Heavy, still advancing] Heavy: "I am bulletproof!"
[Heavy keeps moving, mowing down BLU Soldier after BLU Soldier]
[Cuts to BLU Soldiers falling over dead in rapid succession]
[Medic and Heavy climb atop the pile of dead Soldiers and a flock of doves fly overhead as music crescendos]
[Ending title card appears and accompanying music plays]
[Cuts to waiting room. The camera passes over the rest of the RED team, who are doing things to pass the time. The Engineer is playing his guitar, Spy is looking at his ticket, Pyro is reading and flicking a lighter, Soldier is standing at attention, Demoman is drinking from his Bottle, and Sniper is sleeping]
Medic (off-screen): "That looks good. Very nice there. Yes!"
Scout (off-screen): "Hey, thanks doc!"
[A 'ding' is heard as the "Now Serving" sign changes to number 2. Everyone in the waiting room looks toward the door]
[Scout emerges from the operating room, his chest glowing]
Scout (gallant): "Awhawhaw, man! You would not BELIEVE ... how much this hurts."
[Muffled dove coos, and Scout's chest moves]
In March 2011, user "Political Gamer" visited Valve headquarters in Bellevue, Washington and confirmed production of Meet the Medic. A photograph of a poster was taken at the Valve HQ, depicting the Medic posing alongside several flying doves.
The comic Meet the Director, released alongside the Replay Update on May 5, 2011, featured a page depicting the Administrator at her control panel, showing a number of screenshots from Meet the Medic on the displays.
On June 8, 2011, a patch to Team Fortress 2 was released and included an update that placed several doves in various positions in Valve maps. The doves exploded upon contact, but did not cause players damage. On June 17, 2011, an additional patch was released which added a secondary dove model with animations. Later the same day, the page layout of the TF2 Official Website was updated to feature three doves perched upon the title banner, which was covered by bird droppings. Each dove linked to three separate hidden images depicting a rundown hospital, an empty hospital waiting room, and a doctor's office.
Part of the rundown hospital seen in the first hidden image can be seen in the background of the Medic's page on the official site, fully modeled.
On June 20, 2011, Meet the Medic was confirmed by the TF2 Official Website and its release was announced to coincide with the Über Update, to be released on June 23. The doves that were perched on the site banner of the TF2 Official Website were removed as part of the website redesign.
- The music that plays when the Scout and Demoman are fleeing from a barrage of rockets is a slowed down version of Faster Than a Speeding Bullet.
- The title card displays "COPYRIGHT LOLOLOL" on the bottom right corner, a recurring joke throughout the "Meet the Team" videos.
- Throughout the Heavy's procedure, an X-ray of his body is in the background, showing a bomb lodged inside him. The extracted bomb can be spotted in a bucket behind the Medic. This is the same bomb on the Meet the Medic title card.
- This X-Ray is the same one used in the Results Are In taunt.
- The Heavy's Minigun can be spotted in the background of a few operating room shots, resting on its own stretcher.
- The Medic's Overdose is next to the bucket containing the extracted bomb.
- A heart monitoring device titled "CARDIOSCAN 2000" can be seen working behind the Heavy early in the video. When his heart is destroyed, the line on the monitor goes flat. The next time it is seen, after the Medic retrieves a new heart, it resumes its old display (as if the machine detected the heart's presence).
- One of the Medic's doves is named after Archimedes, a Greek mathematician, physicist, engineer, inventor, and astronomer.
- A mysterious woman presumably resembling Miss Pauling can be seen through the window at 0:56 and again at 1:22.
- At 1:03, the entire contents of the fridge are visible: three hearts, the Sandvich, three bottles of Red Shed beer, the BLU Spy's head (alive), a battery for his head, and an ashtray for his cigarettes.
- The labels on the hearts at 1:04 read "Loch Ness Hamster" and "Mega Baboon", respectively. The smallest heart appears to have no label on it.
- Despite the Medic believing otherwise, human ribs are actually capable of growing back when properly shortened.
- At 1:48, Scout's Default Bat and a Black Bag can be seen on top of the closet in the background, at first glance, the two objects together look like the Battalion's Backup.
- At 2:28, a Pyro can be seen running in its Humiliation pose, quickly disappearing into the black smoke on the right.
- In the opening, when the Demoman is fleeing from the BLU Soldiers in a wheelchair, he has a bandage over the top part of his head and an eyepatch worn on top of the bandage. Later, when the Demoman is healed by the Medic, he rips off the bandage with the eyepatch on it to reveal another eyepatch underneath the bandage.
- Similarly, when he is fleeing from the Soldiers in the first battlefield scene, his Stickybomb Launcher rests on his lap and is his only visible weapon. In the second battlefield scene, the Grenade Launcher replaced the Stickybomb Launcher, but after an explosion sends him flying out of his wheelchair, the weapon that lands in front of him is, mysteriously, the Stickybomb Launcher instead of the Grenade Launcher he was just holding.
- In the up-close scene of the Demoman fleeing the Soldiers, the Engineer and Sniper are missing.
- The Quick-Fix uses sounds from the Medi Gun.
- Despite the Quick-Fix being incapable of providing invulnerability in-game, the Medic is able to use it to make the Heavy invulnerable via an ÜberCharge. The fourth day of the Über Update explains that the Quick-Fix's first ÜberCharge, seen in the video, permanently shorted out the invulnerability feature of the gun.
- Also notable, the ÜberCharge does not affect the Medic as well as the Heavy, unlike the in-game effect that affects both patient and Medic. This could be due to the lack of the surgery on the Medic, leading to the lack of Über transfer.
- Although the Heavy was ÜberCharged, his Minigun doesn't glow in team colors as in the game.
- After the Heavy kills the Soldiers onscreen and continues to fire at unseen enemies, the Medic poses as in the Meet the Medic taunt. A medi-beam is no longer connected to the Heavy, yet the Heavy continues to be ÜberCharged.
- At 3:16, while Heavy is ÜberCharged, a rocket hits Heavy and explodes on contact. However, at 3:22 and 3:26, rockets are seen bouncing off the Heavy and exploding.
- While the Heavy is hiding behind the truck, the army of Soldiers are wearing various hats such as the Soldier's Stash, Stainless Pot, Lumbricus Lid and Proof of Purchase.
- In the final scene, the Engineer is strumming "A Little Heart to Heart". Next to him is a Ciggy Stop vending machine, identical to the one in the Intelligence room in Meet the Spy.
- In the waiting room, the Pyro is reading a magazine called "MAN MAN", which features the RED Spy and Scout on the cover and has The Insult That Made a "Jarate Master" Out of Sniper on the back cover.
- Since the June 17, 2011 Patch, a dove will sometimes fly out of gibbed Scouts. This foreshadowed the final gag of the video, where Archimedes is left inside the Scout's chest after his operation.
- It was revealed in the Source Filmmaker introduction video that the hospital battle scene is actually a modified version of Badwater Basin. The spawn that the Medic walks out of appears to be one of the exits in 5Gorge, while the rocky hillside seems to be inspired by DeGroot Keep (both were released December 2010).
- In some leaked developer files of Source Filmmaker, some stills of an old version of Meet The Medic can be found featuring an injured Scout, Soldier, Demoman and Heavy.
- Concept art from the final scene can be found in the files as well.
|Don't You Die On Me!||My Darkest Moment|
|Kill Me||Making Gods|
- The hospital in one of the hidden images resembles the Pacific Medical Center in the Beacon Hill neighborhood of Seattle, Washington, close to Valve headquarters.
- According to an article posted on the TF2 Official Website on July 11, 2011, Meet the Medic was originally intended to be an interview-style video, similar to the earlier "Meet the Team" videos. The video would have explained how the Medic accidentally discovered the healing formula used for his Medi Gun and its ability to ÜberCharge. It was scrapped because the animators thought that it didn't really reflect what people truly thought of when they hear "the Medic".
- Robin Atkin Downes, the Medic's voice actor, uploaded a short snippet of himself recording the lines for this "Meet the" short, as well as a redubbed version of the outtakes with the Medic's voice.
- In the second outtake (My Darkest Moment), the Spy, who shoots the blood bag and who is then decapitated and used as a blood resource, appears to be on the same team as the Medic (RED). However, the mask on his head can be seen to change color to blue once it is separated from his body, indicating that he was the disguised BLU Spy.
- In the Outtake titled "Kill Me", the Medic shoots more than 6 bullets with the Revolver.
- It can also be noted that the healing formula created in the Outtake is made of Jarate, a Sandvich, a small Medkit, and blood.
- On June 20, 2013, a level was added to Surgeon Simulator 2013 that allows the player to perform the operation depicted in the video as the Medic on the Heavy. The various tools found in the game are also replaced with TF2 weapons, such as the Knife and Bonesaw.
- The achievements awarded for completing different tasks in the level are named after quotes from Meet the Medic, such as "Don't Be Such A Baby, Ribs Grow Back!" and "Let's Go Practice Medicine."
- A Little Heart to Heart (Soundtrack)
- Archimedes (Soundtrack)
- Medic! (Soundtrack)
- Meet the Medic (taunt)
- Meet the Team
- Meet the Medic on IMDb
- "Back from Valve" post on Steam Users' Forums, "Political Gamer", posted March 22, 2011.
- "Videogame.it Valve HQ Article posted April 1, 2011. Accessed June 20, 2011.
- "The Über Update, Day One", TF2 Team, TF2 Official Website, posted June 20, 2011.
- National Scoliosis Foundation, "Rib Thoracoplasty". . Retrieved November 27, 2015.