Click to listen
— The Engineer, on none of the classes being dressed for sub-zero conditions
Coldfront is a community-made Standard Control Point map. It was included in the Engineer Update as an official map due to its outstanding quality.
Note: If you are having trouble with finding the locations listed here, see the Helpful overview section to see their exact position marked on the map.
Each area of the map provides ample opportunity for certain classes to utilize their abilities in order to overcome their enemies. Scouts, Soldiers and Demomen are able to traverse the cliffs and main house, while the slope of the terrain and sharp corners allows ambush classes such as the Pyro, Engineer and Heavy to take down attackers. In addition, various open spaces indoors allow Medics and Spies to move freely to advantageous positions while Snipers lay down suppressive shots.
Control Point 3 (Decrepit Cabin)
- Control Point: The central control point rests comfortably within the wreckage of the cabin.
- Entrances: Each team has three paths to the house area. Two paths enter from the ground, going uphill as players get closer to the house, and an upper path among one of the high cliffs.
- High Cliff: One of the passageways into the area from the yard. Normally a one-way drop down, but Scouts and Soldiers can climb up, too. It is a common Sniper perch.
- House: The worn-down cabin which holds the control point. Soldiers and Demomen can rocket jump on top for a better view of the area.
- Behind the Rocks: A small safe haven for Medics and Engineers, especially due to the close proximity to medium Health and Ammo packs.
- Yard: Each side has a large, open intermediate area in between CP2 and the CP3 cabin. Separated into two halves by a pipe-bridge.
- BLU/RED Third Forward Spawn: When BLU or RED captures four of the five points in the map, they spawn in a narrow room that is near Point C. The spawn exit is visible in the High Cliff image.
Control Points 2 & 4 (Warehouse Caves)
- Control Point: The intermediate control points are set in the center of the elevated concrete road.
- Entrances from Yard: Teams most commonly enter through the main central path (building), but the side route (pipes) and the ramp room (forward respawn) are there as alternatives.
- Garage: The location of the first forward resupply. An effective but risky flank to topple defenders on the platform.
- Platform: A large elevated platform near the control point. Teams should base their defenses around this platform, but beware of flanks through the ramp room.
- BLU/RED Second Forward Spawn: When BLU or RED captures the center point, they spawn in a single room in the Garage area.
Control Points 1 & 5 (Headquarters)
- Control Point: The final control points are locked into the center of the circular final chamber.
- Entrances from CP 2/4: Three small but separated doorways are used to enter the final chamber. Far-left (through silo), center, and far-right.
- Silo: Otherwise known as the far left flank, this passage is most commonly used to sneak an assault on the final CP, but can become dangerous if a player is caught in this narrow passage.
- Outer Ring: The upper ring surrounding the central chamber that all teams must pass through if entering/exiting the area. The slight height advantage and plenty of cover make it a significant location to control for both attackers and defenders. The support beams spanning across the ceiling do not have collision detection and players can pass right through them.
- Central Chamber: The open space in the center of the room. Its lower elevation makes this a no-man's land if the attackers succeed in taking the Outer Ring. Good for hiding Sentry Guns.
- The Back: The elevated area behind the final control point. A stable but not most ideal point of defense for a team making a last-ditch or makeshift defense. Health and ammo packs are available in the back, and an easy drop down to the control point itself.
- BLU and RED Spawn: A large spawn room with a large board table with two exits on each side of the point.
Side entrance to the final point
1.Behind the Rocks
Control Point timing
|Control Point 1 and 5
|Control Point 2 and 4
|Control Point 3
July 8, 2010 Patch
- Added Coldfront to the game.
July 13, 2010 Patch
- Added map to the default mapcycle and motd files.
- Fixed a server crash issue related to increased maxplayer servers.
- Fixed a couple Engineer building exploits.
August 17, 2010 Patch
- Added missing Mac intro movie for cp_coldfront.
October 27, 2010 Patch (Scream Fortress Update)
- Improved visibility on last CP.
- Moved second CP slightly closer to the attacker's side.
- Added cover for players queuing up the health pack on the second CP.
- Improved clipping on the zig-zag ramp to middle CP.
- Teams that capture the middle CP are now awarded with faster spawn times.
- The first and last capture points were created for a TF2Maps.net control point detailing mini-contest (in which it won 1st and 3rd place, respectively.)
- Both teams' main spawn rooms were inspired by the war room from the 1964 film Dr. Strangelove.
- A cold front is the leading edge of a cooler mass of air, replacing (at ground level) a warmer mass of air.
- Eric Wong's initials can be seen out of bounds above the BLU rocket.