|Map type||Mann vs. Machine|
|File name:|| |
|Ammo Boxes:||×12 • ×3|
Rottenburg is a Mann vs. Machine map released in the Two Cities Update. It takes place in the Medic's hometown of Rottenburg, Germany, appropriate for the Frankenstein/Reanimation theme of the map. It is the second of two MvM maps introduced in the Two Cities Update, the first being Mannhattan. The map contains 3 missions: the Intermediate mission Village Vanguard, and the Advanced missions Hamlet Hostility and Bavarian Botbash.
The hatch is a metal sewer grate located in between the two merc spawns. There is only one main path that the robots will take when carrying the bomb, however, there is a catwalk path on the left for mercs, as well as a rear path that Tanks will sometimes take.
- Morgue/Theatre: The right side merc spawn. Contains an Upgrade Station.
- Medic Workshop: The left side merc spawn next to the leftside catwalk access. Contains an Upgrade Station.
- Tank Path: To the left side behind the Medic Workshop spawn is a pathway that only Tanks will take. Tanks will have to pass through a tunnel only they can access. Part of the wall is destroyed in the process, allowing for players to fall into the river and die.
- Overhead Platform: To the right along the main path is a stairway to a platform above the robot path. The platform serves as a height vantage point for Snipers or a Sentry Gun position.
Outer Hatch Area
At this point, the sole path splits into two possible robot paths; one on the main road and the other from a stairway to the lower part of the city.
- Catwalk: Along the path is a catwalk that can be used to directly stay out of the line of fire.
- Tunnel Entrance: The stairway on the right side provides access to the Outer Hatch path, as well as a shortcut to the Robot spawn. At the end of the lower path are the doors to the Tank Tunnel. On select waves the Tank will take this path and once inside the tunnel, it cannot be followed again until it comes out the other end at the Tank path to the side of the hatch.
The town square is the area surrounding a tall stone tower. The area has two different paths: The bridge path above, and the dirt path underneath.
- Stone Tower: The central tower. Accessible from the wooden catwalks next to the bridge path. The interior holds a max ammo kit and medium health kit, and is a useful hiding place for Teleporters.
- Catwalks: A set of catwalks rest along the dirt path.
- Historic Disposal Shaft: Along the dirt path is a pitfall in the wall. Skilled Pyros can use this to their advantage and airblast robots into the pit for instant kills.
The main gates of Rottenburg lead to the exterior field where the Carrier Tank is located. From here is where the robots will spawn.
- Pitchfork Checkpoint: To the left of the main entrance is a smaller entrance that robots will not enter. This entrance also contains an upgrade station inside.
- The Field: The field has three different paths. Access to the left side is exclusive to mercs and the center is barricaded off. However, during Tank rounds the Tank will always take the center path, destroying the barricade along the way. Once this happens, robots will start taking that path as well.
- Blocked Off Tunnel: During Tank rounds the wooden barricade will be destroyed and Tanks will spawn from the hole.
- Left Side Cliff: The robots' primary spawning location. In front of the cliff is a giant rock that can serve a tactical advantage as robots will be forced to split up around the rock.
- Right Side Cliff: The robots' secondary spawning location. Mercs can get up close to it from an uphill path along the side of the cliff.
Rottenburg has 3 map-specific achievements.
| A Bygone Century|
Pit 100 enemies in Rottenburg.
| Crasher Crusher|
Play an advanced wave in Rottenburg without the bomb entering the town.
Kill a tank before it crashes through the barrier in Rottenburg.
- It's possible to get stuck on the wooden spike barricade in front of the town by responding to a partner taunt, e.g. High-Five or Square Dance.
- When restarting the map during gameplay, a glitch may occur which makes the front (near the robot spawn) upgrade station unusable.
- It's possible for a Scout to block the Robots from entering by standing on the small ledge.
- When standing at the entrance of the cave where Tanks come from and switching weapons in your loadout, you will be teleported to spawn.
- Added Rottenburg to the game.
- Fixed a bug where the bomb could get stuck out of reach in the corner near the cap.
- Fixed a bug where bots could be instantly killed by being pushed into the tank tunnel once opened.
- Fixed a bug where money could get stuck in the tank barricade when it was rebuilt, preventing collection.
- Improved collision near barricade to reduce players getting stuck.
- Fixed credits not always being collected when they fall into the barricade.
- Rottenburg is given to be the Medic's hometown, while his official profile also states that he was raised in Stuttgart, Germany. There are several similarly named places in Germany; a few are within or near Stuttgart:
- Rotenberg is an old, small village actually within Stuttgart.
- Rottenburg am Neckar is a city 38 km (24 mi) southeast of and geopolitically linked with Stuttgart.
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber (literally "Red Fortress") is a city 95 km (59 mi) northeast of Stuttgart, famous for its roles as a film location for a number of movie and as a model for a number of videogames. The buildings in the Rottenburg map and in this Bavarian Rothenburg have remarkable similarity in the stone color and in the general architecture.
- Rottenburg an der Laaber is a town 209km (130 mi) east of Stuttgart, much closer to Munich.
- In keeping with the Medic/Frankenstein theme of the map, the "Humboldt's pharmacy" sign references the then popular, world-famous 19th century German natural scientist, Alexander von Humboldt.
- Von Humboldt was one of the researchers of animal electricity, conducting over 4000 galvanism experiments on frogs and himself, inspiring Mary Shelley to write of reanimation of corpses by electricity..
- "Baboon Hearts" in the list of pharmacy products and services references the Medic's Xenotransplantation surgeries, particularly the Mega Baboon heart implanted in the Heavy in Meet the Medic.
- Mann vs. Machine: The Sound of Medicine takes place in a modified version of Rottenburg.
- Behind the front tower, at the Humboldt Sauermilch Molkerei (sour milk dairy), a dark area under a roof contains a crate, with Mad Milk bottles, syringes, and a Syringe Gun lying on it, hinting at the Mad Milk Syringes upgrade for the Medic.