This item was initially awarded to players who first played Team Fortress 2 from 00:00 October 10, 2008 (UTC) to 23:59 April 22, 2010 (UTC) (a year after its initial release until the week before the 119th Update). Currently, this item is given to new players who installed the game after the initial release of the medals.
- The Mercenary was added to the game.
- Badge hire dates now display the time in GMT.
- [Undocumented] Added a community-contributed description for the Mercenary.
- Name Tags may now be used on this medal.
- In the class loadout screen, the Mercenary badge sometimes appears as the Grizzled Veteran Badge with a Scout emblem.
- When the Mercenary was first released in-game, it was named the "Weekend Warrior". Because some players considered the implication that they only played on weekends or had a low play time as derogatory, the name was changed. The 119th Update celebration page changed along with the name to reflect this, as it was with the addition of the Primeval Warrior.