Meet the Soldier
|Meet the Soldier|
|Released:||August 22, 2007|
The word "Soldier" below refers to the protagonist, a RED Soldier.
Pyro: [Rocket hits Pyro, who is gibbed.] "Owh!"
[Cut to BLU Demoman taking a drink, also getting blown up by a rocket from off screen.]
Heavy: "Pow!" [Is hit by a crit rocket, explodes.]
[Meet the Soldier Title Card]
[Cut to the Soldier, drilling what appears to be a line of recruits.]
Soldier: "'If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight!' Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little more [Soldier pokes a recruits' helmet] about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor."
[The Art of War plays.]
[Cut to the Soldier holding his Shovel and screaming.]
[The Soldier then charges the final capture point in Granary with his Shotgun and kills a Demoman, who fires at him but misses. He switches to his Rocket Launcher and a BLU Medic appears behind him, firing syringes.]
RED Demoman: "To the left!"
RED Sniper: "Right up! Right up!"
RED Heavy: "Go, go, go!"
[The Soldier, Sniper and Heavy charge into battle together, as explosions occur all around them.]
[Cut back to the Soldier's drill. Music pauses.]
Soldier: "Then, he used his fight money...
[The Soldier unhooks two grenades from his belt, one in each hand.]
Soldier: ...to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat...
[The Soldier demonstrates by using the grenades, moving them in a walking motion.]
Soldier: ...and then he beat the crap out of every single one."
[The Soldier bangs the two grenades together repeatedly.]
[Cut back to battle scene. Music resumes.]
RED Scout: (Behind cover) "Sentry up there!"
[A BLU Heavy and Pyro are holding the final capture point. The Heavy is laughing gleefully. The Soldier jumps downward, firing a Critical rocket that lands just before he does. The explosion kills both the Heavy and Pyro. A Spy uncloaks and attempts to backstab the Soldier, but the Soldier pulls out his Shovel, swiftly knocking out the Spy with it.]
[Cut back to the Soldier's drill.]
Soldier: [Laughs to himself] "And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a 'zoo'!"
[Crickets chirp as the 'recruits' are revealed to be the gibbed heads of BLU team members perched on a gate, all wearing BLU Soldier helmets. The Medic's head falls off the gate.]
[Team Fortress 2 ending flourish music plays.]
Soldier: [To the Medic's head] "Unless it's a farm!"
- The title card displays "COPYRIGHT LOLOLOL" on the bottom right corner, a recurring joke throughout the Meet the Team videos.
- Sun Tzu was an honorific title bestowed upon Sūn Wǔ (c. 544 BC–496 BC), the author of The Art of War, an immensely influential ancient Chinese book on military strategy.
- The quote the Soldier recites at the beginning of the video is from chapter 10 of The Art of War.
- The Art of War track first played in this video. The track was later released as a part of the Team Fortress 2 Soundtrack.
- The video uses a modified version of Granary. The RED team goes completely around the building that connects the first and second control points into an area that is normally a dead end.
- The capture point which BLU is defending in the video is normally RED's final capture point on Granary; under normal circumstances, BLU cannot hold this capture point during a round in-game.
- At 0:41 the Sniper says "Right up, right up!" in English in every translation of the video, while the other characters are all translated. The Russian version is the only one to translate this line.
- When the Soldier hits the Spy in the face with his Shovel, the poster on the wall in the background ironically reads "No Smoking".
- In the final scene, the decapitated Spy head is missing a tooth, meaning that this is the head of the earlier Spy that the Soldier hit in the face with his Shovel.
- However, the Spy still has a cigarette in his mouth despite it being knocked out at the exact same time as his tooth.
- At the end, when the BLU Medic's severed head falls off the fence, there is a generic bone in place of an exposed spinal column in his neck.
- Due to German censorship laws, the German version replaces the blood and gore with a black liquid (most likely oil) and miscellaneous items (rubber ducks, springs, etc.) The BLU Medic's neck bone is replaced with a spring. These changes were most likely made to imply that all of the characters are robots, similar to the game Contra.
- Meet the Soldier on IMDb