|“Gotta move that gear up!”
This article may contain content that is out of date. You can help improve this article by updating the content as necessary. See the wiki style guide.
Notes: Content hasn't been updated since 2015.
A bodygroup is a feature of the Source Engine that enables specific sections of a model to be enabled or disabled, allowing for different models to take their place. In Team Fortress 2, bodygroups are used in the models of several items to show or hide specific player or weapon models when needed; for example, most cosmetic items manipulate bodygroups to remove the default headgear present on the player model to allow room for the newer cosmetic model.
Bodygroups do not alter hitboxes; they are merely a cosmetic feature.
|List of bodygroups on player models
||All Hats, except Batter's Helmet and the "Tuned in" style of the Bonk Boy.
||All hats, except Batter's Helmet, Spiral Sallet, Brütal Bouffant, the "I Can't Hear You" style of the Backwards Ballcap, the "Tuned in" style of the Bonk Boy, the "with Headphones" style of the Hanger-On Hood, and Bacteria Blocker.
|Shoes and socks
||Essential Accessories, Flip-Flops, Ball-Kicking Boots, Futankhamun, Bootie Time, Teufort Tooth Kicker, Spooky Shoes, Flunkyware, Buck Turner All-Stars, Argyle Ace, Red Socks, Long Fall Loafers and Cheet Sheet.
||Sign of the Wolf's School, B-ankh!, Cryptic Keepsake, Ticket Boy, Frickin' Sweet Ninja Hood, Southie Shinobi, Polar Pullover, Flapjack, Cool Cat Cardigan, Bigg Mann on Campus and Triad Trinket.
||All Hats, except Soldier's Stash, Exquisite Rack, Cross-Comm Crash Helmet, and a style for both the Antlers and Battle Bob.
||The Lumbricus Lid's grenades, Ornament Armament, Professor's Pineapple, Captain's Cocktails, Bonedolier and Deadliest Duckling.
||Gentle Manne's Service Medal.
||Foster's Facade, Apparition's Aspect, Last Breath, HazMat Headcase, Plutonidome, Winter Wonderland Wrap, Filamental, Rusty Reaper, Breather Bag, Mair Mask and Air Raider, and a style of the Nose Candy.
||Stockbroker's Scarf, Cremator's Conscience, Ornament Armament, Jingle Belt, Professor's Pineapple, Burning Bongos, Bonedolier, Deadliest Duckling, Mair Mask, Steel Sixpack, El Muchacho and Soot Suit.
||Thermal Thruster, Scrap Pack, Infernal Orchestrina, External Organ, Tiny Timber, Trail-Blazer, Frymaster, Gas Guzzler, Handhunter, Grisly Gumbo, Creature From The Heap, Russian Rocketeer, Pyrobotics Pack, Pyrotechnic Tote, Scrap Sack, Backpack Broiler and Bone Dome.
||Primary taunts, taunting with Scotsman's Skullcutter and taunting with Pain Train.
||Ali Baba's Wee Booties, Bootlegger, Pickled Paws, Teufort Tooth Kicker and Buck Turner All-Stars.
||A Whiff of the Old Brimstone, Ornament Armament, Professor's Pineapple, Battery Bandolier, Bonedolier, Deadliest Duckling and Gaelic Garb.
||All melee weapons except Fists, Warrior's Spirit and Eviction Notice, and the Purity Fist.
||All Hats, except Mining Light, Industrial Festivizer, a style for both the Big Country and Professor's Peculiarity.
||Gunslinger and Short Circuit.
||The Quick-Fix and Vaccinator's backpacks, Scrap Pack and the Medic Mech-bag.
||All Hats, except the Trophy Belt.
August 19, 2008 Patch
(A Heavy Update
- [Undocumented] Added hand bodygroup to the Heavy model.
May 21, 2009 Patch (Sniper vs. Spy Update)
- [Undocumented] Added arrow bodygroup to the Sniper model.
August 13, 2009 Patch (Classless Update)
- [Undocumented] Added hat bodygroups to the Scout, Soldier, Engineer and Sniper models.
- [Undocumented] Added headset bodygroup to the Scout model.
- [Undocumented] Added medal bodygroup to the Soldier model.
July 8, 2010 Patch (Engineer Update)
- [Undocumented] Added right arm bodygroup to the Engineer model.
August 25, 2010 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added grenade bodygroup to the Soldier model.
September 30, 2010 Patch (Mann-Conomy Update)
- [Undocumented] Added bullet bodygroup to the Sniper model.
December 13, 2010 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added head and grenade bodygroups to the Pyro model.
January 24, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added shoes and socks bodygroup to the Scout model.
April 14, 2011 Patch (Hatless Update)
- [Undocumented] Added hose bodygroup to the Medi Gun model.
May 12, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added dogtag bodygroup to the Scout model.
May 31, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added leg bodygroup to the Demoman model.
June 23, 2011 Patch (Über Update)
- [Undocumented] Added backpack bodygroup to the Medic model.
August 18, 2011 Patch (Manno-Technology Bundle)
- [Undocumented] Fixed Heavy's fist bodygroup not being removed when equipped with certain melee weapons.
March 22, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added backpack bodygroup to the Pyro.
July 10, 2012 Patch
- Fixed body groups not hiding correctly on ragdolls.
October 26, 2012 Patch (Spectral Halloween Special)
- [Undocumented] Fixed a bug that would make certain body groups will fail to activate when required. For example, the Soldier's 'rocket' and Demoman's 'smile' during certain taunts.
November 5, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Fixed the Spooky Shoes not hiding the socks and shoes bodygroup.
- [Undocumented] Fixed the Coffin Kit hiding the backpack bodygroup.
December 8, 2014 Patch #2
December 10, 2014 Patch
January 15, 2015 Patch #1
- Fixed AE_CL_BODYGROUP_SET_VALUE animation events not working properly.
February 11, 2015 Patch #1
February 18, 2015 Patch
- Fixed weapon attachments casting shadows at the wrong time.
- Items that turn off specific bodygroups do not cast a shadow.
- Occasionally, bodygroups disappear, leaving empty space on the model.
- Occasionally, items fail to turn off the default bodygroup, leading to the original group clipping into the replacement model.
- Items that replace a removed group do not disappear when the player is backstabbed by Your Eternal Reward.