The Flakcatcher is a community-created cosmetic item for the Soldier. It is a gray flak vest. The vest gives the Soldier a zipper, three different sized pouches, and three shotgun shells on the right side of his chest. It also includes shoulder pads, similar to the ones of a U.S. Army WW2 ammo-carrier.
The Flakcatcher was contributed to the Steam Workshop.
- The Flakcatcher was added to the game.
- Flak refers to anti-aircraft artillery, especially the resultant explosive shrapnel.
- The word comes from the German word "FliegerabwehrKanone" (meaning "aircraft defense cannon"), a term originating from World War I, but more famously known in World War II with the German 88 mm Flak cannon.
- In common use, flak (often flack) refers to adverse criticism, questioning, verbal attack, or ridicule.
- In contemporary political and business usage, which was derived from WWII military jargon having the same general meaning, a flak catcher is someone designated to catch flak on behalf of the rest of the team, a common role for Soldier.
- The item was inspired by the vest from the new Soldier design from Team Fortress Classic.