I wish y'all could see how bad I'm kickin' your tail.
— The Engineer on his ability to see in the dark
The Mining Light is a cosmetic item for the Engineer. It is a faintly glowing strap-on helmet lamp, which attaches to his regular hard hat.
The item's description was written by ravn0s for the Hat Describing Contest, and was slightly edited by Valve.
May 21, 2009 Patch (Sniper vs. Spy Update)
- [Undocumented] The Mining Light was added to the game.
September 30, 2010 Patch (Mann-Conomy Update)
- [Undocumented] Added a community-contributed description for the Mining Light.
- [Undocumented] The Mining Light can now be uncrated with Unusual quality.
January 25, 2013 [Item schema update]
- The Mining Light was removed from the item drop system and Mann Co. Store, and can no longer be uncrated with Unusual quality or crafted.
- Updated the
equip_regionfor the Mining Light.
- [Undocumented] Updated the
item_typefor the the Mining Light.
- [Undocumented] Added the Limited attribute to the Mining Light.
- Typical mining helmets have either a fitting attached to them or molded into their surface, for the purpose of holding such a light. Since the Engineer wears a construction worker's hard hat, the light must be attached by non-conductive leather or nylon straps.
- ↑ Saxton Hale (TF2 Official Blog) "Kiss These Items Goodbye!". Published January 10, 2013. Retrieved September 30, 2021.