Bonk! is fulla radiation, which as we all know is pretty great for givin' people superpowers.
— Bonk! Atomic Punch publicity blurb
Bonk! Atomic Punch is an unlockable secondary weapon for the Scout class. It is a small energy drink can with a team-appropriate label; RED's flavor of Bonk! is "Cherry Fission", while BLU's is "Blutonium Berry".
Upon consumption, Bonk! Atomic Punch provides invincibility from most incoming damage to the player for 8 seconds. This item does not, however, protect from environmental damage or telefragging. The player's view is forced into third-person mode upon drinking and while in motion, a trail behind the player blurs. There, they are able to maneuver and jump as they see fit, holding their last equipped weapon, but will be unable to use their weapon. When any type of bullet or projectile hits a Scout under Bonk's effects, a "Miss!" signal will appear above their head followed by one of many responses. The player has unlimited Bonk! cans at their disposal, but cannot take out another can until the item's cooldown period, shown in the HUD, is over.
Sentry Guns will not damage a Scout under the influence of Bonk! Atomic Punch, but he will still experience knockback. If a Scout is set on fire while he is drinking Bonk!, he will not take damage from further Flamethrower attacks or afterburn. He will resume being damaged by the flames should they persist after the drink's effects wears off, however. Bleed will not cause any damage when under the effects of Bonk! Atomic Punch. It is possible to be soaked with Jarate or Mad Milk while under the effects of Bonk!, but it will only affect the damage taken after the drink's effects have worn off. A Scout cannot use Bonk! while carrying the Intelligence, or grab the Intelligence while still under the drink's effects. Scouts under the effects of Bonk! can neither capture nor defend objectives such as control points and the Payload cart. The effects of Bonk! will cease if a Scout using it activates a Resupply locker.
Being launched into the air by explosives, or being hit by the Force-A-Nature or a Flamethrower's compression blast will interrupt a Scout who is in the process of drinking Bonk! Atomic Punch. This cancels the use, but still counts as consumption and drains the recharge meter as such.
While under the influence of Bonk, the player can still Taunt and by extension gain kills by using the Home Run kill taunt.
Bonk! Atomic Punch is automatically given to any player who obtains 22 Scout achievements.
While under the influence of Bonk, the player doesn't take damage from Atomizer's third jump.
|Function times (in seconds)
||The user has temporary invincibility.
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.
As a crafting ingredient
|| Artful Dodger|
Dodge 1000 damage in a single life using your Bonk! Atomic Punch.
February 24, 2009 Patch
- The Bonk! Atomic Punch was added to the game.
April 20, 2009 Patch
- Scouts now drop the Intelligence if they're carrying it when they start phasing.
June 25, 2009 Patch
- Fixed Bonk! ammo count exploit after using a regeneration locker.
December 17, 2009 Patch (WAR! Update)
- Added recharge sound to abilities with a recharge bar.
January 13, 2010 Patch
- Fixed the lack of phase effect while using this item.
April 28, 2010 Patch
- Post-use movement penalty removed.
- Now has a re-use cooldown time, like The Sandman.
May 12, 2010 Patch
- [Undocumented] The Bonk! Atomic Punch was added in the Crit-a-Cola's crafting blueprint.
- [Undocumented] The Bonk! Atomic Punch was added in the Bonk Helm's crafting blueprint.
- [Undocumented] The Bonk! Atomic Punch was added in the Dalokohs Bar's crafting blueprint.
September 30, 2010 Patch (Mann-Conomy Update)
- [Undocumented] Scouts will always switch to a melee weapon upon drinking Bonk! Atomic Punch.
December 17, 2010 Patch (Australian Christmas)
- [Undocumented] Bonk! Atomic Punch now defaults to the primary weapon instead of the melee weapon when used.
March 15, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] The Bonk! Atomic Punch was removed from the Dalokohs Bar's crafting blueprint.
June 23, 2011 Patch (Über Update)
- [Undocumented] The Bonk! Atomic Punch was added in the Atomizer crafting blueprint.
- [Undocumented] The Bonk! Atomic Punch was added in the Soda Popper crafting blueprint.
August 18, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] Fixed the particle effect on the draw animation for weapon not showing in censored version.
August 23, 2011 Patch
- Added simplistic bot behaviors for Bonk! Atomic Punch.
September 15, 2011 Patch
- Fixed Natascha's bullets preventing Scouts from using Bonk! Atomic Punch.
June 27, 2012 Patch (Pyromania Update)
- Increased duration from 6 to 8 seconds.
August 27, 2013 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added Strange quality.
November 12, 2013 Patch
- On-hit effects, such as the ones triggered by the Blutsauger and hitting a Scout covered in Mad Milk, will trigger as any normal attack would.
- The effects of Bonk! Atomic Punch will not protect the player from the damaging fires of torches on Egypt, or most other environmental hazards, as one would expect. This may or may not be intended.
- If the player commits suicide while under the effects of Bonk!, the kill is awarded to the last player on the enemy team who dealt damage (using a weapon) against the original player, even if their character was temporarily invincible at the time the damage was taken.
- Despite being unable to capture a control point while under the effects of Bonk!, if a Scout is standing on the point when it's captured, the Scout will still receive points for the capture.
- Bonk! Atomic Punch uses a pull-tab opening mechanism; first invented in 1956, it was phased out with the current opening mechanism in the late 1970s.
- An active adult's daily recommended sugar intake is around 90 grams. Assuming the contents of Bonk! Atomic Punch are as advertised – the drink is said to contain several hundred times the daily recommended amount – the can of Bonk! would weigh at least 9 kg. This would equate roughly to 20 lbs.
- The labels for Bonk! Atomic Punch and Crit-a-Cola list the ingredients as water, radiation and sugar. Several lines of random letters also appear on the label itself.
- The BLU team's "Blutonium Berry" tagline for the Bonk! Atomic Punch is "Now with 33% MORE REAL Radiation!", while the RED team's "Cherry Fission" is "Now with ISOTOPES!".
- According to the Bonk Leadwear description, Bonk was invented in 1932 by the American soft drink magnate Theophilus Bonk, and it was made of zinc, ammonium chloride, molten salt and sugar.
- In Grave Matters, an advertisement for Bonk can be seen, as well as an advertisement for the unused model of the Bottle, Blu Streak.
Bonk! Atomic Punch Cherry Fission label
Bonk! Atomic Punch Blutonium Berry label