Scientists in the future have studied your ass for centuries - and sent me back in time to kick it!
— The Soldier on the space marines
The Righteous Bison is a secondary weapon for the Soldier. It is a handheld retro-futuristic or steampunk styled ray gun.
The weapon fires an unreflectable projectile beam that is capable of piercing through multiple targets in a straight line but at the cost of dealing heavily reduced damage to buildings. The beam deals damage to any enemies that are touching it every 45 milliseconds and can hit the same target repeatedly. In addition, the beam can be used to ignite Huntsman arrows held by a friendly Sniper. Critical hits fired by the Righteous Bison will suffer damage falloff over distance.
Like the Cow Mangler 5000, the Righteous Bison features a "Bison" bar in the HUD which serves as an indication of its ammunition clip. After the bar is depleted, it can be recharged through a reloading process in which a piston in the back of the weapon is pumped. It does not incorporate the traditional ammo reserve used by other weapons.
Enemies killed by the Bison suffer a distinctive death by vaporization: they turn black, hover in mid-air while performing a specific disintegration animation surrounded by team-colored particles, and then disappear into ashes.
Weta Workshop held a panel at San Diego Comic-Con 2011 and handed out coupon codes to visitors that can be redeemed in Team Fortress 2 for a Genuine quality Righteous Bison.
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times
|Ranged or Melee damage?
||20 / particle
||12 / particle
||12 / particle
||36-60 / particle
||16-30 / particle
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.
Note: Damage is proportional to particle lifetime instead of distance from target. Unlike most weapons, Critical hits are also affected by the scaling.
As a crafting ingredient
July 19, 2011 [Item schema update]
- The Righteous Bison was added to the item schema as 'Mystery Item'
July 20, 2011 Patch (Dr. Grordbort's Victory Pack)
- The Righteous Bison was added to the game.
July 22, 2011 Patch
- Optimized many particle effects related to the Righteous Bison.
- Added recoil/draw/crit/reload forces for the Righteous Bison.
August 2, 2011 Patch
- Fix a crash bug related to the Righteous Bison.
August 3, 2011 [Item schema update]
- All previous promotional Righteous Bisons are now Genuine quality.
- Fixed Gift Wrapped Righteous Bisons losing Genuine quality.
- Made Genuine Righteous Bisons tradable after a period of time. This is based on when the code was redeemed, and works like tools bought in the Mann Co Store. Observations show it takes around 5 days for a Genuine Righteous Bison to become tradable.
August 18, 2011 Patch
- Added the Righteous Bison to the crafting recipe for the Machina.
September 15, 2011 Patch
- Updated the particle effects for the Righteous Bison.
October 13, 2011 Patch (Manniversary Update & Sale)
January 11, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] The Righteous Bison was added to the crafting blueprint for the Pomson 6000.
November 12, 2013 Patch
- There is a set of additional projectile particles, that are not used.
- There is also an impact particle, since the projectile just passes through the enemies, the impact particle is never seen.
- This weapon contains an unused idle sound and an alternative projectile shot sound.
- This weapon's projectile can pass through doors and deal damage.
- If aimed at the correct angle while pressed up against the pre-round setup gates (it is not known what makes some angles work and other angles fail), the projectile can pass through these gates, but will not do damage to enemy players. This is not a client-side bug, as the other players can see these 'ghost' projectiles, too.
- Rarely, after a moment of not firing, the Soldier will automatically reload the weapon's clip, regardless of the player's auto-reload setting.
- In the client view, while crouching, the projectile will appear to fire much higher than the weapon model.
- When minimizing the game with this weapon equipped, the ammo portion of the HUD may disappear. Looking at the scoreboard may fix this.
- The appearance of this weapon is based on that of 'The Righteous Bison - Indivisible Particle Smasher', which can be purchased from the online store at Weta Workshop.
The Righteous Bison promotional image in the Weta Store.
An image of a life size Righteous Bison.
San Diego Comic-Con Righteous Bison voucher.
- ↑ News Reel - drgrordborts.com