This weapon fires a burst of electrical energy that does minor damage to enemies and has the ability to destroy enemy projectiles within a 180 degree radius at the expense of 35 metal. The weapon's electrical arcs are capable of hitting both multiple enemies and multiple projectiles in a single shot and, contrary to popular belief, does not hit cloaked Spies, and arcs toward all players within range, not just enemies. Although unable to deliver critical hits either randomly or through any crit boosts or to operate underwater, the Short Circuit does not require reloading and instead draws ammunition directly from the Engineer's metal supply.
Enemies hit by the Short Circuit will emit white electrical sparks for a brief moment. Additionally, enemies killed by the weapon will suffer a distinctive death by vaporization.
The kill icon for the Short Circuit was contributed by Ani.
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times|
|Shot type||Area of Effect|
|Attack interval||~0.8 s|
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.|
|Reclaimed Metal||Scrap Metal||Gunslinger||Short Circuit|
|Class Token - Engineer||Slot Token - Secondary||Scrap Metal|
As a crafting ingredient
|Reclaimed Metal||Righteous Bison||Short Circuit||Pomson 6000|
- The Short Circuit was added to the game.
- Fixed the Short Circuit attacking friendly projectiles.
- Fixed the Short Circuit being hidden when the Engineer taunts.
- [Undocumented] This item was added to the crafting blueprint for the Pomson 6000.
- [Undocumented] The Short Circuit now makes robotic noises when moved around in the backpack.
- Fixed projectiles not being cleared if they were blocked by buildings or other projectiles.
- Fixed not incrementing the "How the Pests Was Gunned" achievement for destroyed stickies.
- The Short Circuit can be used to destroy the beach ball in Birthday mode as well as the soccer ball generated by the Ball-Kicking Boots.
- During development, the Short Circuit was going to be a minigun that opened up from Engineer's glove. Valve, however, told the creator they wanted a less-powerful electric based weapon, so it was changed to the current design.
- A short circuit is a malfunction in a circuit that allows a current to travel on an unintended path.
- The filenames for this weapon's sounds within the GCF files reference Lawrence Barrett, a character from the Deus Ex: Human Revolution title known for his gun-arm.