This weapon fires a burst of electrical energy that destroys enemy projectiles within a 180 degree radius at the expense of 18 metal - if the weapon is fired without an enemy or projectile in range, an additional 18 metal is consumed for a total of 36. If the player has less than 36 metal and fires without hitting a target, all remaining metal will be consumed. It also does very minor damage to enemies within the area of effect. The weapon's electrical arcs are capable of hitting both multiple enemies and multiple projectiles in a single shot, but do not hit cloaked Spies. Although unable to operate underwater or deal critical hits through any means, the Short Circuit does not require reloading and instead draws ammunition directly from the Engineer's metal supply.
Enemies killed by the Short Circuit suffer a distinctive death by vaporization: they turn black, hover in mid-air while performing a specific disintegration animation surrounded by team-colored particles, and then disappear into ashes.
The kill icon for the Short Circuit was contributed by Ani.
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times|
|Shot type||Area of Effect|
|Attack interval||~0.6 s|
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.|
|Reclaimed Metal||Scrap Metal||Gunslinger||Short Circuit|
|Class Token - Engineer||Slot Token - Secondary||Scrap Metal|
As a crafting ingredient
|Reclaimed Metal||Righteous Bison||Short Circuit||Pomson 6000|
- The Short Circuit was added to the game.
- Fixed the Short Circuit attacking friendly projectiles.
- Fixed the Short Circuit being hidden when the Engineer taunts.
- [Undocumented] This item was added to the crafting blueprint for the Pomson 6000.
- [Undocumented] The Short Circuit now makes robotic noises when moved around in the backpack.
- Fixed projectiles not being cleared if they were blocked by buildings or other projectiles.
- Fixed not incrementing the "How the Pests Was Gunned" achievement for destroyed stickies.
- Changed attributes:
- Ammo cost reduced when an attack destroys a projectile.
- Ammo cost of firing reduced to -18 metal.
- [Undocumented] Ammo cost increased to -36 metal when an attack does not destroy a projectile or hit a player.
- [Undocumented] Increased firing speed by +25%.
- [Undocumented] The weapon's muzzle now emits a spark effect when fired.
- [Undocumented] Fixed attack arcing to nearby teammates as if they were enemies.
- Updated the Short Circuit description to match the updated gameplay.
- Added Collector's quality.
- The Short Circuit can be used to destroy the beach ball in Birthday mode as well as the soccer ball generated by the Ball-Kicking Boots.
- During development, the Short Circuit was going to be a minigun that opened up from Engineer's glove. Valve, however, told the creator they wanted a less-powerful electric based weapon, so it was changed to the current design.
- A short circuit is a malfunction in a circuit that allows a current to travel on an unintended path.
- The filenames for this weapon's sounds within the GCF files reference Lawrence Barrett, a character from the Deus Ex: Human Revolution title known for his gun-arm.