Each and every one of you will be sent home to your momma' in a box!
— The Soldier
The Box Trot is a community-created special taunt for the Spy.
When the taunt is activated through the taunts menu, the Spy places a cardboard box over himself and laughs briefly. The player can freely crawl around while inside the box; when not moving, the Spy kneels down and the flaps of the box lie flat on the ground. When the player ends the taunt, the Spy gets up while throwing the box away.
The Box Trot was contributed to the Steam Workshop.
July 2, 2015 Patch (Gun Mettle Update)
- The Box Trot was added to the game.
July 3, 2015 Patch
- Fixed the box used in The Box Trot taunt sometimes being the wrong color.
July 8, 2015 Patch
- Fixed an issue with The Box Trot taunt when window focus changed
July 23, 2015 Patch
- Fixed Sentry Guns shooting over the head of Spies using the Box Trot taunt
- The box may sometimes be invisible to other players.
- If the player loses a round while in the Box Trot taunt, the box will disappear leaving the player looking like they are crouch walking.
- On occasion, a player will constantly blink in the Box Trot crouch pose after holding the taunt between rounds. This hinders gameplay in that the hitboxes do not correspond with the model.
- Having an Australium Knife out will make the box always be RED, even if on BLU.
- This taunt was inspired by the Metal Gear series. In every Metal Gear game (besides Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes), the player can acquire cardboard boxes to hide/camouflage themselves from enemies (known as the "Box Trick"), and move around while underneath the box.
- The design of the boxes varies by game and location, with one notable case being labelled "THE ORANGE" (used as one of the primary marketing images for Metal Gear Solid 2), and the reason for the TF2 box being labelled "THE RED" and "THE BLU".
- This taunt was hidden in the background of various places on the pages for the Gun Mettle Update.
- The taunt's name is based on a type of dance called foxtrot, which was also adopted as the letter 'F' in the NATO phonetic alphabet (this alphabet is used in clarifying spelling over radio, where similar sounding letters create ambiguity).
- The Japanese text written on the top of the box (スパイは、この箱の中にいる) reads "The Spy is in this box".
- There is a number "9" on the front side of the box, a reference to the Spy being the 9th class in TF2.
Steam Workshop thumbnail for the Box Trot.
Hidden Box Trot on the top of the Gun Mettle update page part 1.
Hidden Box Trot on the Gun Mettle update page part 1.
Hidden Box Trot on the bottom of the Gun Mettle update page part 1.
Hidden Box Trot on the top of the Gun Mettle update page part 2.
Hidden Box Trot on the Gun Mettle update page part 2.