The Box Trot is a community-created Action taunt for the Spy. When the Taunt is activated, the Spy will place a box over himself and crawl across the ground according to what direction the player guides him in. When the player is not moving, the Spy will kneel down and the flaps of the box will lie flat on the ground.
The Box Trot was contributed to the Steam Workshop.
- The Box Trot was added to the game.
- Fixed the box used in The Box Trot taunt sometimes being the wrong color.
- Fixed an issue with The Box Trot taunt when window focus changed
- Fixed Sentry Guns shooting over the head of Spies using the Box Trot taunt
- If the player loses a round while in the Box Trot taunt, the box will disappear leaving the player looking like they are crouch walking.
- The box may sometimes be invisible to players on the enemy team.
- On occasion, a player will constantly blink in the Box Trot crouch pose after holding the taunt between rounds. This hinders gameplay in that the hitboxes do not correspond with the model.
- Having an Australium Knife out will make the box always be RED, even on BLU
- This taunt was inspired by the Metal Gear series, in which the player would use a cardboard box to hide/camouflage from enemies (the trademark "Box Trick"), and move around in the box. The text on the boxes varies by game and location, with one notable case being labelled "THE ORANGE", used as one of the primary marketing images for Metal Gear Solid 2, and the inspiration for the TF2 box being labelled "THE RED" and "THE BLU".
- This taunt was hidden in the background of various places on the pages for the Gun Mettle Update.
- The name is based on a type of dance called foxtrot, which was also adopted as the letter 'F' in the NATO phonetic alphabet (this alphabet is used in clarifying spelling over radio, where similar sounding letters create ambiguity).
- The Japanese text written on the top of the box means "The Spy is in this box." (スパイは、この箱のなかにいる).
- Prior to being added into the game, the box texture had a faded Team Fortress 2 logo where "THE RED" and "THE BLU" are located, as shown in the item's Steam Workshop thumbnail.
- There is a number "9" on the front side of the box, referencing the Spy since he is the 9th class in TF2.