Just lay your weapons down and walk away.
— The Spy taunting his opponent
Upon taunting with any melee weapon except the Sharp Dresser and Spy-cicle, the Spy gracefully tosses his weapon to his left hand and begins to practice a deadly fencing maneuver, resulting in damage or death for anyone slow, unaware or simply unfortunate enough to be in the way.
Enemies hit by the first two initial swipes will suffer minimal damage and receive minimal knockback, while the last thrust is a guaranteed instant kill in almost all cases. The taunt can kill multiple enemies if it connects on both the stabs and thrusts. The range at which the taunt will kill is 48 Hammer Units, past which it has no effect. Fencing can also destroy buildings upon impact.
As with most Kill taunts, this taunt can be utilized to kill enemy players during humiliation and stalemates.
Damage and function times
| Damage and function times
| Point blank
|| 25 (x2) / 500
| Function times
| Taunt duration
|| 4.1 s
| Values are approximate and determined by community testing.
|| The Man from P.U.N.C.T.U.R.E.|
Stab an enemy while fencing.
May 21, 2009 Patch (Sniper vs. Spy Update)
- [Undocumented] The taunt now injures and kills enemy players.
May 22, 2009 Patch
- Fixed cloaked Spies being able to taunt attack.
May 19, 2010 Patch
- Spies can no longer perform the taunt whilst Cloaked (with any watch).
December 23, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] The Spy-cicle can no longer perform this taunt.
- On rare occasions, it is possible to kill enemies directly behind you while performing the taunt.
- Fencing is a family of combat sports. In foil fencing, to win in a bout one combatant must thrust their opponent in the chest, or somewhere in the center-mass of the body.
- During the taunt, the Spy has his other hand up above his head, and then he throws it back when he lunges. This is a Classic fencing stance, and throwing one's hand back helps to take advantage of the momentum to quickly regain composure.