And when you ask 'em, "How much should we give?" Oh, they only answer "More! More! More!"
— Fortunate Son publicity blurb
The Fortunate Son is a community-created cosmetic item for the Scout. It is a Vietnam War era M1 helmet with the phrase "BORN TO RUN" written on it in marker on the right side. On the left side, four rifle rounds are held onto the helmet by a leather strap, with a team-colored peace sign button with the phrase "BETTER RED THAN DEAD" for RED or "BETTER DEAD THAN RED" for BLU written on it.
The Fortunate Son was contributed to the Steam Workshop.
- The Fortunate Son was added to the game.
- Fortunate Son is a song by the band Creedence Clearwater Revival that was famous during the later parts of the Vietnam War.
- "BETTER RED THAN DEAD" and "BETTER DEAD THAN RED" are a pair of competing slogans from the Cold War era. The first suggests that it is better to submit to communism (the "red") than die in nuclear war; the second stating the opposite position. In the context of Team Fortress 2, the phrase simply reflects feelings on RED.
- "Born to run" is a modification of the phrase "Born to kill", which is written on both Joker's helmet and the Vietnam War film Full Metal Jacket's poster helmet, which is also the inspiration for this hat.
- Born to Run is also the name of an album by Bruce Springsteen (as well as a hit single from that album).