The Fortunate Son is a community-created cosmetic item for the Scout. It is a Vietnam-War era M1 helmet with the phrase "BORN TO RUN" written on it in marker on one side. On the other side, four rifle rounds are held onto the helmet by a leather strap, with a team-colored peace sign button with the phrase "BETTER RED THAN DEAD" or "BETTER DEAD THAN RED" written on it. It is also a reference to the movie "Full Metal Jacket" with the cover of the movie being a similar looking helmet that says "born to kill" on the side, It also has the same rifle rounds and the same peace sign.
The Fortunate Son was contributed to the Steam Workshop.
- The Fortunate Son was added to the game.
- Fortunate Son is a song by the band Creedence Clearwater Revival. It was famous during the later parts of the Vietnam War.
- The helmet on the poster of the movie "Full Metal Jacket" was the inspiration for this helmet.
- "BETTER RED THAN DEAD" and "BETTER DEAD THAN RED" are a pair of competing slogans from the Cold War era. The first suggests that it is better to submit to communism (the "red") than die in nuclear war; the second stating the opposite position. In the context of Team Fortress 2, the phrase simply reflects feelings on RED.
- "Born to run" is a modification of the phrase "Born to kill," which is written on both Joker's helmet and the poster's helmet of the Vietnam War film Full Metal Jacket. Born to Run is also the name of an album by Bruce Springsteen (as well as a hit single from that album). It came out in 1975, however, some years after the events of Team Fortress 2.