| Basic information
| Map type
|| King of the Hill
| File name:
| Release date:
|| December 18, 2013
| Map Info
|| Japanese cliffside
|| Daylight, sunny
| Deep Water:
| Map Items
| Health Kits:
|| ×2 • ×5
| Ammo Boxes:
|| ×4 • ×7 • ×1
Suijin is a King of the Hill community-created map set on a Japanese cliffside shinto shrine to Suijin, the god of water in Japanese mythology.
The map focuses heavily on rooftop combat and clipping is very lenient. One of the mottos when making this map was "clip only if you have to," so areas like the far off islands, the roof tops, hiding spots are free game.
Suijin was the first map made with the Japan Content Pack.
The map was initially created as an Arena map, but it was the King of the Hill version which ended up being featured in the game.
A portion of the money made from sales of Gun Mettle Campaign Pass for the Gun Mettle campaign goes to the authors of this map.
Overview of Suijin (with interiors).
Overview of Suijin (with exteriors).
- Temple Tower: At the center of the map is a large tower that houses the control point inside. The tower is open on three ends on ground level, and has a second level that can only be accessed from the rooftops. Two Byōbus are aligned along the control point as cover from the doors.
- Calligraphy Temples: On the mountainside by the waterfalls are two team oriented temples. Both temples contain a medium Health and Ammo kit, as well as a small Health kit between them. Also between them is a bridge to the control point.
- Rooftops: All of the rooftops of the temples are accessible and can serve as a shortcut, or a tactical advantage. Access to the rooftops can be achieved by: climbing from the plank ramp near each team's calligraphy temple, from the cliffside temple's second floor, or by Rocket jumping/Sticky jumping.
- Cliffside Temple: At the edge of the cliff is a temple with two medium Health kits in it. There are three ways to the temple: From a bridge at the side of the Temple Tower over the cliff, or from the team's side jumping across some precarious rocks. The temple has a second floor that can be used as a shortcut to the Temple Tower.
- Far islands: Past the edge of the cliff are two small rock islands. Jumping classes can reach them, but Engineers can't build on them.
The bridge to the Cliffside Temple.
The edge of the Cliffside Temple.
The control point inside the Temple Tower.
The rock paths to the Cliffside Temple.
The waterfalls inbetween the Calligraphy Temples.
The interior of RED team's spawn.
The rooftops by the Temple Tower.
The path to the Calligraphy Temple outside the spawn room.
One of the islands off the cliff.
The partially clipped islands in the pit (clip brush rendered as solid purple).
Control point timing
| Control Point
This is the changelog of the map before it was added to the game.
- Made the banners on the walls in the pagoda nonsolid to prevent being caught on them.
- Fixed a case of zfighting.
- Fixed a case of floating rocks.
- Clipped the peak of the roof outside spawn.
- Release version 1!
- Fixed broken cap point.
- Fixed texture seam on skybox waterfalls.
- Clipped some beams.
- Lowered the pitch of the gongs.
- Further optimisation
- Redid the 3D skybox
- Did some extra detailing to the cap room, changed the detailing (especially OOB) on red side versus blue side.
- Various other bugfixes.
- Thousands of bugfixes;
- fixed nodraw surfaces
- fixed weird clipping in a few places
- fixed light bleeds
- fixed waterfall particles
- fixed various zfighting issues
- brighened some areas
- fixed lightmap and displacement seams
- fixed places you can get stuck
- fixed magical katanas
- fixed some weird clipping on the terraced path.
- Extended fence on the cliff to make it clear that it's clipped
- Some optimisation, a litle improvement in FPS (up to 40% in some areas), but probably the best I can do.
- Full artpass, however
- 3d sky needs more work
- waterfall particles broke for some reason
- optimisation needed
- some lighting bugs
- Made the pagoda square
a8 桜 edition:
- Made the platform out the back of the cliffside building a little bigger.
- More caustics.
- Brightened the cliffside building.
- Brightened the area under the waterfall.
- Unclipped the far stone pillar, I see no reason why it should be clipped as getting out there is putting you at a disadvantage and consistency is better than clipping.
- Swapped the small health in the cliff building with the medium health.
- Nobuilded rooves due to popular opinion.
- Players are blocked from leaving spawn until round start.
- More detailing.
- Remade the cliffside building.
- Modelled bridges.
- Added a railing to the platform with the medium health - doesn't actually protect anything, but hopefully is a visual notifier to the fact that the platform is there.
- Some displacing and some detailing, and some displaced detailing.
- Made the back waterfall and area under the boardwalk passable, just so there are no arbitary clipping.
- Nobuilded the area below the waterfall.
- Changed the back building so that players cannot hide behind the point of the roof.
- Sunk the point a little.
- Added small health to the cliff building.
- Welcome camera and a spectator point.
- Removed the fence that blocked the sightline down the back of the map, replaced it with some rocks that block the route instead.
- Prettied up some bridges.
- Added areaportals to all the buildings.
- Repositioned the rocks near the inland ramp to the rooves so that the ramp is far more visible.
- Some more ammo.
- Switched the medium health and medium ammo below, hopefully indirectly nerfing the height of the map.
- Added another waterfall, because waterfalls are cool.
- Modelled Torii's.
- Changed the rock near the back of the map so it doesn't hide the ramp up to the roof as much.
- Removed force from kill trigger.
- Stairs are clipped!
- Fixed the place where you could get stuck.
- Blocked a sight gap.
- Added a fence to block one of the longest sightlines.
- Added a rock on the rock formations over the gorge that allows other classes to jump back up towards the long building (albeit slowly.)
- Clipped the windows in the cliffside building.
July 2, 2015 Patch #1 (Gun Mettle Update)
- Added Suijin to the game.
August 18, 2015 Patch
koth_suijin with the latest changes from the authors.
- Added cover around the point preventing cross-point sight line.
- Opened second window in point building.
- Tweaked pickup amounts and positions.
- Widened space between stairs to point and bridge railing to allow easier movement.
- Clipping improvements.
- Improved lighting in dark areas.
- Fixed an issue where Engineers could build on outlying islands.
- Fixed an issue where Engineers could trap teammates by building Teleporters in spaces with restricted movement.
- Fixed an issue where the spawn room doors could be held open by an opposing team member.
- Optimization improvements.
- Suijin (水神) means "water god" in Japanese.
- A Killer's Kabuto, a Half-Zatoichi, and Conniver's Kunais can be found in the supply locker. Additionally, a banner of Concheror can be seen on the table in respawn room.
- Inside both teams' spawns are big signs that spell their team's color in Japanese; '赤', meaning red, and '青', meaning blue.
- If a player shoots or hits the gong in their spawn, it will make a loud sound (the unusued "Prayer Bowl" Noise Maker sounds from the Japan Charity Bundle). However, the gongs around the rest of the map do nothing when attacked.
- The two sounds heard at the beginning of a round and when the capture point becomes available are used by the Koto Noise Maker.
- According from map creator, the pagoda on this map was made as a shrine to the Gravel God. 
A gong found in each team's spawn.
The Resupply cabinet for the map (interior).
- ↑ Source