See? I told ye they were a buncha' wee lasses!
— The Demoman on cowardly, undead horsemenn
The Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker, commonly abbreviated as the UHHHH, HHHH or simply Headtaker, is a melee weapon for the Demoman. It is the rustic, single-bladed axe wielded by the Horseless Headless Horsemann. The blade is chipped and worn in some places, sporting a malevolently-grinning face cut into its broad edge that is similar to the face commonly carved on pumpkins for Halloween.
This weapon functions identically to the Eyelander and Nessie's Nine Iron, except for using the sounds used by the Horsemann's axe.
Taunting with the Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker equipped will perform the Decapitation kill taunt.
The Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker is available to anyone who has acquired the Haunted Metal Scrap before or after the Scream Fortress event by killing the Horsemann with a melee weapon; it may then be crafted through the prescribed blueprint.
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times
|Ranged or Melee damage?
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.
Decapitate 50 enemy players.
|| Left 4 Heads|
Decapitate 4 players with only 10 seconds between each kill.
|| Shorn Connery|
Decapitate a cloaked Spy.
|| Slammy Slayvis Woundya|
Decapitate an enemy Soldier who is brandishing the Equalizer.
|| There Can Be Only One|
Decapitate your nemesis.
October 27, 2010 Patch
- The Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker was added to the game.
February 14, 2011 Patch
- Fixed melee attacks not destroying remote detonation pipes (Stickybombs).
March 11, 2011 Patch
- Fixed the decapitation counters not being displayed for some weapons.
- Fixed the Demoman not using the correct animations for some of his weapons.
March 15, 2011 Patch
- The crafting cost of the Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker was changed from 2 Refined Metal, a haunted Scrap Metal metal, and a Scotsman's Skullcutter to 1 Refined Metal, a haunted Scrap Metal metal, and a Scotsman's Skullcutter.
April 14, 2011 Patch (Hatless Update)
- Replaced the no-crit attribute with -25% damage on the Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker.
April 15, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] Replaced the -25% damage attribute with no-crit.
June 3, 2011 Patch
- Added new community contributed response rules to the Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker.
- [Undocumented] The Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker was assigned the Decapitation taunt.
June 23, 2011 Patch (Über Update)
- [Undocumented] Fixed the Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker showing the wrong blueprint in the crafting menu.
October 13, 2011 Patch (Manniversary Update & Sale)
- Updated community contributed response rules.
December 21, 2011 Patch
- Fixed missing forces for Demoman swords.
September 4, 2012 Patch
- The Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker now uses the Horsemann's Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker sounds.
October 29, 2013 Patch (Scream Fortress 2013)
- [Undocumented] Claiming heads with the Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker will make the Demoman's eye glow green.
November 21, 2013 Patch (Two Cities Update)
- Moved the eye glow position to Demoman’s eye patch. Changed the color to Cursed green.
- The head counter now resets when changing to another melee weapon, except when changing to a reskin.
- There is an unused backpack icon for this weapon that resembles both the Scotsman's Skullcutter and the Headtaker. Along with its file name, "
c_bigaxe", it is believed to be an early version of the Headtaker.
- Decapitating a Sniper who is using the Bazaar Bargain will receive all of the heads collected by the Sniper, as if they were taken from another Demoman who is wielding another head counting weapon such as the Eyelander, Nessie's Nine Iron, or Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker.
- The version of the axe carried by the Horseless Headless Horsemann is much larger and has a distinct pulsating purple glow.
First-person view with Splendid Screen (Spike Style).
First-person view with Splendid Screen (Arrow Style).
First-person view with Splendid Screen (Spike and Arrow Style).
The Headtaker wielded by the Horsemann.
An unused axe, believed to be an early version of the Headtaker.