From Team Fortress Wiki
(Redirected from Headgear
| Throughout history, men have worn hats as a way of showing how much better they are than other men. “I buy hats,” a behatted man seems to say. “I am better than you.”
In wartime, hats were a useful way of conferring rank, and ensuring that casualties were confined to the lower classes (hence the famous command of “Don't fire till you see the tops of their heads” at the Battle of Bunker Hill by William Prescott, a general renowned for only shooting enemy combatants who were poor). During peacetime, hats have been instrumental for men to let the non-hatted know just who is wearing the hat around here.
Hats, or headwear, are items that can be equipped in the head slot of the loadout screen. Valve introduced the first set of nine hats with the Sniper vs. Spy Update on May 21, 2009 Patch, with one hat for each class. The nine hats introduced were the Batter's Helmet, Soldier's Stash, Pyro's Beanie, Demoman's Fro, Football Helmet, Mining Light, Prussian Pickelhaube, Trophy Belt, and Fancy Fedora. Several updates have since added additional hats, including those designed by members of the Team Fortress 2 community through the Steam Workshop or the former contribution page on the TF2 Official Website.
There are currently a total of 308 hats (excluding the 269 Miscellaneous items). 111 can be obtained in Vintage quality, 147 can be obtained in Genuine quality (see item quality distribution), and 265 of the hats can be painted 29 colors using different varieties of Paint Cans.
While most hats can be obtained through crafting, the item drop system, or bought from the Mann Co. Store, some hats are only available to players via other means. Multiple hats can only be obtained by completing in-game achievements. Other hats have been added as promotions for various Steam games and events in the Steam Store. While it is possible to obtain most of these hats via trading with other players, there is no option to buy these hats from the Mann Co. Store (aside from those released with Total War: SHOGUN 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and the QUAKECON Pack). Only players with the premium account type can receive hats randomly through the item drop system.
With the release of the Mann-Conomy Update, Unusual quality versions of hats have a 1% chance of being "uncrated" when the player opens a Mann Co. Supply Crate. These hats function in exactly the same way as Unique hats except for the addition of 1 of 31 unusual particle effects, chosen at random when the hat is obtained.
Hats are purely cosmetic with the exception of those which are part of the Polycount Pack, which provide bonuses when worn with their associated item sets. Additionally, the Horseless Headless Horsemann's Head and the Saxton Hale Mask make the wearer immune to the Horseless Headless Horsemann's Boo taunt.
Some hats have the holiday or event restrictions, meaning those hats can't seen by everyone except in loadout when it's not in holiday or event times. Additionally, Pyroland items can only be seen by yourself and any other people who happen to be wearing an item that allows them to see in Pyrovision.
On January 10th 2013, a blog post was made, announcing that, after January 24th 2013, the original nine hats added in the Sniper vs. Spy Update would be retired, making them unobtainable through crafting, random drops, Mann Co. Supply Crates (in Unusual quality only) or the Mann Co. Store any more after January 24th. The only source that was mentioned to be not being removed is existing Mann Co. Supply Crates with any of the hats listed as possible results.
List of hats
A mock magazine, Hat-Wearing Man
, appeared at the end of the Sniper vs. Spy Update
announcing the first hats as a bonus.
May 21, 2009 Patch
(Sniper vs. Spy Update
August 13, 2009 Patch (Classless Update)
- Added Baseball Bill's Sports Shine, Bonk Helm, Ye Olde Baker Boy, Stainless Pot, Tyrant's Helm, Brigade Helm, Respectless Rubber Glove, Glengarry Bonnet, Scotsman's Stove Pipe, Officer's Ushanka, Tough Guy's Toque, Engineer's Cap, Texas Slim's Dome Shine, Texas Ten Gallon, Otolaryngologist's Mirror, Vintage Tyrolean, Master's Yellow Belt, Professional's Panama, Ritzy Rick's Hair Fixative, Backbiter's Billycock, and Camera Beard.
September 2, 2009 Patch
October 29, 2009 Patch (Haunted Halloween Special)
November 2, 2009 Patch
December 17, 2009 Patch (WAR! Update)
January 27, 2010 Patch
March 18, 2010 Patch (First Community Contribution Update)
April 15, 2010 Patch
May 20, 2010 Patch (Second Community Contribution Update)
July 19, 2010 Patch
August 25, 2010 Patch
September 30, 2010 Patch (Mann-Conomy Update)
- Added Milkman, Bombing Run, Grenadier's Softcap, Chieftain's Challenge, Stout Shako, Dr's Dapper Topper, Attendant, Old Guadalajara, Napper's Respite, Handyman's Handle, Sober Stuntman, Carouser's Capotain, Pugilist's Protector, Hard Counter, Ol' Snaggletooth, Familiar Fez, Mann Co. Cap, Ellis' Cap, and the Wiki Cap.
October 27, 2010 Patch (Scream Fortress Update)
November 3, 2010 Patch
December 7, 2010 Patch
December 13, 2010 Patch
December 17, 2010 Patch (Australian Christmas)
- Added A Rather Festive Tree, Flipped Trilby, Buckaroos Hat, Blighted Beak, Prince Tavish's Crown, Exquisite Rack, Madame Dixie, Coupe D'isaster, Détective Noir, German Gonzila, Le Party Phantom, Larrikin Robin, Defiant Spartan, Scotch Bonnet, Berliner's Bucket Helm, Magnificent Mongolian, Big Chief, Pyromancer's Mask, Prancer's Pride, Industrial Festivizer, and the World Traveler's Hat.
December 21, 2010 Patch
- Made Le Party Phantom a miscellaneous slot item.
December 22, 2010 Patch
- Made Blighted Beak a miscellaneous slot item.
January 24, 2011 Patch
February 28, 2011 Patch
March 10, 2011 Patch (Shogun Pack)
March 23, 2011 Patch (Japan Charity Bundle)
April 5, 2011 Patch
April 7, 2011 Patch (Third Community Contribution Update)
April 28, 2011 Patch
May 5, 2011 Patch (Replay Update)
May 31, 2011 Patch
June 3, 2011 Patch
June 10, 2011 Patch
June 23, 2011 Patch (Über Update)
July 1, 2011 Patch (Summer Camp Sale)
July 20, 2011 Patch
July 29, 2011 Patch
August 2, 2011 Patch
August 3, 2011 Patch
August 9, 2011 Patch
- Renamed Tamrielic Relic to Dragonborn Helmet.
August 18, 2011 Patch
August 23, 2011 Patch
August 30, 2011 Patch
September 15, 2011 Patch
October 13, 2011 Patch (Manniversary Update & Sale)
- Added Manniversary Paper Hat, Backwards Ballcap, Hot Dogger, Hat With No Name, Salty Dog, Birdcage, Flamboyant Flamenco, Little Buddy, Buccaneer's Bicorne, Tavish DeGroot Experience, Gym Rat, One-Man Army, Outdoorsman, Pencil Pusher, Virtual Reality Headset, Swagman's Swatter, Your Worst Nightmare, Counterfeit Billycock, and L'Inspecteur.
- Bonk Boy and Foster's Facade are now miscellaneous slot items.
- Hat of Undeniable Wealth And Respect animations have been added. Really.
- LOD models added to several older cosmetic items.
- [Undocumented] Made Noh Mercy, Large Luchadore and the Sniper's Snipin' Glass miscellaneous items.
October 27, 2011 Patch (Very Scary Halloween Special)
- Added Wrap Battler, Idiot Box, Blazing Bull, Hair of the Dog, Can Opener, Buzz Killer, Einstein, Holy Hunter, Under Cover, Seal Mask, MONOCULUS!, Spine-Chilling Skull 2011, and Infernal Impaler.
- Fixed Spine-Chilling Skull not appearing when equipped by Soldiers
- [Undocumented] All Ghastly Gibuses have been upgraded to Ghastlier Gibuses.
- [Undocumented] All Ghastlier Gibuses have been upgraded to the Ghastlierest Gibuses.
- [Undocumented] All hats that had Halloween restrictions can now be worn during Full Moons.
- [Undocumented] Spine-Chilling Skull and Voodoo Juju are no longer craftable.
November 16, 2011 Patch
November 23, 2011 Patch
November 29, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] Fixed certain all-class hats not showing up until the player touches a resupply cabinet.
December 15, 2011 Patch (Australian Christmas 2011)
December 23, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added "glasses" equip region to the Brain Bucket.
- [Undocumented] Removed Scout's headset when equipped with the Brown Bomber.
January 11, 2012 Patch
January 17, 2012 Patch
February 2, 2012 Patch
March 22, 2012 Patch
March 28, 2012 Patch
April 17, 2012 Patch
April 18, 2012 Patch
- Added LODs on Ghastly Gibus for all classes.
May 3, 2012 Patch
May 10, 2012 Patch
June 27, 2012 Patch (Pyromania Update)
June 28, 2012 Patch
- Fixed hatless hats not not-drawing correctly.
July 20, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated the world model of Scotch Bonnet.
August 2, 2012 Patch
August 10, 2012 Patch
August 15, 2012 Patch (Mann vs. Machine)
September 4, 2012 Patch
September 6, 2012 Patch
September 21, 2012 Patch
September 27, 2012 Patch
October 9, 2012 Patch
- Fixed the Lacking Moral Fiber Mask being tagged as a misc item instead of a hat.
October 26, 2012 Patch (Spectral Halloween Special)
November 16, 2012 Patch
December 20, 2012 Patch (Mecha Update)
January 8, 2013 Patch
February 18, 2013 Patch
February 22, 2013 Patch
March 12, 2013 Patch
March 19, 2013 Patch
April 3, 2013 Patch
- ↑ "The Mac Update!", Teamfortress.com, June 10, 2010
- ↑ "History", Teamfortress.com, retrieved Feb. 13, 2012