|Community Decoy strategy
||Mann vs. Machine
| Health Kits:
|| ×4 • ×2
| Ammo Boxes:
|| ×3 • ×3
Everyvun! Freee money!
— The Medic discovering his first dollar in a robot head
This article is a Community Decoy strategy.
General (All Classes)
- Natural chokepoints are located on either side of the middle building, but make sure to watch out for the upper outer routes where robots may sneak behind your lines.
- If you’re going to be fighting in the basin where most of the robots jump in to start, consider a Jump Height upgrade. This will allow you to climb up the rocks on the left side and get to the upper level more easily.
- There is a ravine in front of your base. If you need time, knock the bomb carrier into this ravine to stall it.
- Later waves will often overrun the spawn point, so it’s best to prepare between waves or have someone clear the area periodically.
- If your defense is pushed back towards your base, remember that the bridges are great chokepoints, though it depends on the bomb route and whether or not the bomb is past those bridges.
- Attacks will be blocked by the chicken wire fence outside of the spawn point, so they are safe to stand behind while watching for incoming robots and the locations of Sniper robots.
- You can fire at robots through the windows in the middle building, take the medium ammo kit when you need to, and use the walls for cover. However, the windows are too narrow to jump through. Don’t run into this building if you’re fleeing from robots.
- There are multiple levels which players can use to separate themselves from the robots. Just be warned that the robots might attack you up there as well (especially waves with large numbers of Scouts).
- Assist the team by collecting all dropped money.
- Since most of the money will be at the pit where most robots drop to when they spawn, it is wise to wait for gaps in the robots, or purchase suitable upgrades before attempting to collect the money.
- Scout is also useful for taking out Snipers.
- A Scout working to kill the Sniper Robots will find the jump height upgrade very useful. This can allow you to reach elevated areas where Sniper Robots are located faster, giving them less time to shoot you.
- Use the Scout's speed to return to base quickly and defend the bomb hatch.
- This is especially true when fighting against Super Scouts. The layout of the map prevents a clear line of sight if they pass defenders that are setup at the front choke point. This makes the Scout incredibly valuable for picking off any Super Scouts that manage to run past the other defenders.
- A Scout can use The Fan O'War to mark high value targets, causing the target to take mini-crits.
- A Scout can use Mad Milk to soak robots and allow their teammates to heal each time they damage a soaked robot.
- A Scout can use the Force-A-Nature to keep robots from deploying the bomb on a team without a Pyro.
- A Scout can be used to distract massive hoards of robots, allowing your teammates to swoop in and finish them off.
- You can use rocket jump to faster climb up to the upper routes and kill robots that slipped through your main defense.
- The narrow tunnel at the front makes it much easier to hit multiple targets, and allows the Soldier to quickly duck behind cover in between volleys.
- Given the Large Ammo crate on the roof of the building facing the alleyway where the majority of the robots jump down, the Beggars Bazooka is a good choice for this map, matched with the Reload Time Decrease and Max. Ammo Increase upgrades.
- Just be aware that this area is also a favored Engineer nesting position. If an Engineer has set up there, you'll need to protect that Dispenser from Spies. If it goes, you might need to abandon the spot for the Engineer to rebuild with the Large Ammo Crate. Aternative spots include the walkway to the left of the robot alleyway (facing the Tank shaft), and inside the building you are on top of.
- Given the second-to-last wave of the default mission on Decoy is 150 Scout robots, getting the Projectile Speed upgrade is recommended, as opposed to simply using the Direct Hit, for which the splash damage penalty would severely limit your abilities in the other waves.
- The Buff Banner provides mini-crits for your team, which can be used against tougher robots.
- An upgraded Beggar's Bazooka can easily take out groups of robots due to the fast fire rate and damage.
- Defense-oriented Pyros should focus on upgrading airblast to make sending the bomb carriers and Sentry Busters into the ravine much easier and slowing down bomb carriers from deploying the bomb. When robots are traveling on the left side of the map, this will be easier since the bridge on this side is not fenced up, use this to your advantage of sending it down in the ravine.
- Once outside the base, there is a wire fence that ends at the bridge’s exit, another safe zone where you can wait for attacking bots to run into your flame while avoiding Soldier and Heavy robots' barrage. It is also a good area to wait for the bomb carrier to arrive, so you can airblast it off the bridge.
- Pyros can purchase Ubercharge canteens to lessen their difficulty in airblasting the bomb carrier, especially if the carrier is a Giant aided by Medics.
- Pyros can use the Degreaser to airblast robots and quickly switch to the Reserve Shooter to land Mini-crits.
- The main entrance, between the middle hallway on the map, both bridges, and the bomb hatch are the main choke points where stickybombs are most effective.
- If you are going to attack robots near where they spawn, use the stairs on the right to get to high ground, where robots are less likely to run through. However, watch for Scout rushes, as they sometimes use that high ground to run through.
- With the Scottish Resistance, you can place several crit-boosted stickybombs at the front entrance, and another few stickybombs on both of the bridges. Monitor the progression of the bomb-carrier and detonate your bombs if the bomb-carrier manages to break through your defenses.
- Demomen are very effective when it comes to eliminating Über Medics. Place your stickybombs beneath the cliff where the robots spawn, and detonate them once the Medics drop down. Both grouping and timing are important, as merely damaging a Medic will cause him to Übercharge, costing your team valuable time. Shooting stickybombs in a circular pattern toward the right side of the landing zone roughly three feet out from the fence renders the most consistent results.
- You are the main damage dealer to tanks, consider upgrading your damage or switching to a Loch-n-Load.
- Demoknight is very effective at taking out Steel Gauntlets, but be aware of large groups of Scout Robots who can easily overwhelm you.
- Narrow chokepoints, such as the bridges over the ravine, are where you will excel at defending.
- A Heavy provided with a Dispenser at the main tunnel can continually fire and hold back robots for extreme amounts of time.
- A Heavy with a Brass Beast can deal massive amounts of damage to bigger robots.
- A ammo box in the little hallway near the bridge is important when there are no Dispensers around.
- Always stay near a Dispenser to keep up with your ammo
- Consider setting up a disposable sentry at the hatch to prevent Scouts that slipped through your main defense from dropping the bomb if you have extra money and your team is struggling.
- If you have a disposable Mini-Sentry and it is destroyed, you can use those kills as revenge crits for your Frontier Justice, without having to sacrifice your Sentry Gun.
- The Dispenser should usually go against the wall near either the left or right corner of the "tunnel" area, depending on the bomb path.
- The right and left bomb paths both have great natural choke points where your sentry can stop Super Scouts dead in their tracks.
- When pushed back to spawn, good Sentry locations include the edge of the fence by one of the bridges or up on the raised area by the upgrade stations, depending on the situation. Many Engineers also like to turtle on the ammo pack near spawn, but this location decreases area your Sentry commands and should only be used as a last resort.
- Upper routes are good places for Medics to be safe for the first parts of the waves. Run back if robots arrived there.
- Always be sure to stay near your Heavy or primary damage dealer, for it is important to keep them alive or to supply them with crits.
- Medics can be useful for deploying Ubers whenever robots that are Critical hit boosted spawn. Ubering Heavies and Soldiers while destroying these type of robots would be recommended.
- Purchasing Explosive Headshots can be useful when aiming at choke points to the left and right of the central 'Mann Co.' building or at the robot spawn.
- The top of the central 'Mann Co." building is a good vantage point, but you will probably need to sidestep rocket fire and you will be vulnerable to Spies coming up the ramp behind you. Consider equipping the Razorback for rounds with Spies if you are having trouble with backstabs, as you cannot afford to have a teammate constantly watch the ramp for you.
- Sniper Robots will often take up positions on the bridge over the robot spawn and on the walkway under the 'CACTUS VALLEY' sign to the left of the path split. Deal with these quickly.
- Upgrading Jarate lessens the recharge time and enables the Sniper to mark more robots within a short period of time.
- The Sydney Sleeper can provide the same effect as Jarate but also allows the Sniper to soak targets while waiting for Jarate to recharge if the player has it equipped.
- As a Sniper, be sure to Headshot any robot medics. These lead on to problems later as if one of the Medics were to pop an Uber on a giant robot.
- By using the Robot Sapper Power, the Spy can easily disable and eliminate enemy medics. This allows the rest of the team to deal damage to Giants without worry.
- The upgraded Sapper is also excellent for disabling large groups of Robots at the front pit.
- An upgraded Knife assists Spies greatly in taking down Giants.
- Backstab as many Steel Gauntlets as you can. For most classes, it takes a long time to destroy them but a single Backstab can destroy them instantly.