Community Well (Arena) strategy
|“Sun Tzu's got nothing on us!”
This article is a Community strategy stub. As such, it is not complete. You can help the Team Fortress Wiki Community Strategy Project by expanding it.
Notes: Expand the "General Strategy" section to cover map locations in more detail. Potentially look at the class-specific strategies as well.
|Community Well (Arena) strategy|
|Ammo Boxes:||×2 • ×2 • ×2|
This article is about strategy specific to the Arena variant of Well. For strategy specific to the Capture the Flag variant, see Community Well (Capture the Flag) strategy. For strategy specific to the Control Point variant, see Community Well (Control Point) strategy.
This article is about Community Well (Arena) strategy.
Note: It is recommended to read the main Well (Arena) article first to become familiar with the names of key map locations used in this article.
- At the start of a round, Snipers will usually take positions at either entrance to the main building, aiming specifically between the wall and train carriage in order to pick off slow moving classes before they even enter the building. Demomen can solve this problem by firing Grenades or Stickybombs over the carriage to dissuade sniping.
- The lower Central Building will normally be traversed by agile classes, such as Pyros and Scouts. Slow moving or weaker classes would be better suited to wait outside the main building until the area is clear.
- Luring enemies into the oncoming path of the Train can quickly change the tide of the battlefield. This may not work, however, with more aware and experienced players.
- The best way to negate any passive effects such as Jarate, Mad Milk or fire is to enter the water passage on the bottom of each side of the battlements.
- It is possible for the Scout to quickly get into the main building from either side of the map by double-jumping and crouching to get onto the window ledges embedded into the walls below the battlements, or by Force jumping. Any Scout is capable of using this technique, regardless of loadout.
- Soldiers can enter the building quickly by Rocket Jumping to the upper entrance. There, they can cover the enemy entrances to the building. Wearing the Gunboats can reduce the damage taken; however this deprives you of your Shotgun, which may be more important for Arena mode.
- The carriages beside each side entrance can also be used to rocket jump onto, which makes for an effective way to get some damage done before any fighting starts.
- The Pyro is best used in this map to Spy check around Engineer buildings and on the top floor of the inside building.
- If your timing is extremely good, you can make use of the air blast to push enemies into the train that periodically passes through the map.
- The Sniper deck is accessible in the beginning of the round. A Pyro can easily jump on a window, then on the deck using a Detonator.
- A good idea is to place a Sticky trap around the doorway to the Control Point. The Scottish Resistance helps to control both gates separately.
- As the round starts, Snipers will shoot between the carriage and the central area. Fire Grenades or Stickybombs over the carriage to stop them.
- As a Heavy, walking out into the central building too soon is risky. Faster classes and Snipers will pick you off quickly unless you have a Medic.
- An Engineer should build a Dispenser at the base to allow your team to heal without enemy fire.
- Engineers can set up their Sentry Guns outside of the spawn to attack any enemies that approach from the building. Once numbers have dwindled, Sentry Guns and Dispensers can be hauled into the Central Building and set up to cover the Control Point.
- An Engineer may set up a Sentry Gun on the floor in the Waterways. Due to this being underwater it is hard for enemies to see the Sentry Gun through the water and may end up getting killed by it.
- As in every Arena map, especially for a map without a health pickup like this one, a Medic is extremely essential. Try to overheal a Soldier or Demoman, so they have extra health to rocket/sticky jump or pocket a heavy to be effective.
- The Vaccinator can help push through to the enemy side quickly, due to its fast Übercharge rate.
- Try to snipe through the gap between the train and the building. Slower moving or idling enemies will be easy targets. Watch out for other Snipers on the opposite side.
- The underwater entrances can provide Spies with clear movement behind enemies, but doing so will cause them to drip water that can be spotted by players.
- Spies should try camping above the inner side or in an underwater corner in the hopes of backstabbing a passer-by.
- At the beginning of a round, a Spy should try to run straight to the enemy battlements, as he will have a good chance of backstabbing a good number of unaware enemies.
- A good camping spot for a Spy is the corner between the train carriages at each side of the map and the doorway as you have a low chance of being seen by passing enemies.