Community Haarp strategy
|“Sun Tzu's got nothing on us!”
This article is a Community strategy stub. As such, it is not complete. You can help the Team Fortress Wiki Community Strategy Project by expanding it.
|Capture the Flag
|December 7, 2023 Patch
|Andrew "Dr. Spud" Thompson
Fay L. "nineaxis" Fabry
Alex "Rexy" Kreeger
Jim "Timberghost" Wiser
|No. of Stages:
This article is about Community Haarp strategy.
Note: It is recommended to read the main Haarp article first to become familiar with the names of key map locations used in this article.
Stage A, Capture Point 1
- The first capture point for BLU is to the right of the entrance furthest from spawn. Do not take the stairs on the left to try and reach it, a mistake commonly made by those unfamiliar with the map.
- BLU Soldiers and Demomen can reach the window adjacent to the first capture point with a well-timed rocket jump or sticky jump. This makes them, along with Scouts, ideal for carrying the Intelligence to the first capture point.
- RED Engineers should place Sentry Guns on the small raised platform near the capture point or near the stairs to Capture Point 2 for maximum defensive efficiency. While building a Sentry Gun in the first capture point's window is possible, it also completely exposes the Sentry Gun to long-range fire from Snipers, Soldiers and Engineers using the Wrangler.
- One of the stairways in Stage A has a landing in the middle where a well placed Sentry Gun can almost entirely block one entryway into RED's base.
Stage A, Capture Point 2
- RED Engineers should build a Sentry Gun along the wall nearest to their spawn for Stage 1. A path to the capture point is exposed on that side, as well as the point itself, leaving RED possibly vulnerable to sneak captures.
- Likewise, on offense, if BLU notices no Sentry Gun on the side nearest to RED's spawn, they can send a Scout with the Intelligence up the side and quickly double jump into the capture point for an easy victory. However, this should be avoided if enemies can be spotted on the capture point itself, as their presence will prevent any capture while they are there.
- Demomen equipped with Stickybomb Launchers or the Scottish Resistance should guard the upper entrance to Capture Point 2 with the door. The other upper entrance can be guarded by Pyros, who can make good use of the blind corner.
- BLU Engineers can build a Teleporter, Dispenser and Sentry Gun in the small room with the door, as RED cannot attack there easily while the door is closed.
Stage B, Capture Point 1
- RED should take advantage of the plateau's height to kill BLU as they exit spawn near the Intelligence. However, they should note that a wall in front of the Intelligence spawn point will prevent them from easily killing or camping the Intelligence if BLU ducks behind it. Soldiers using the Rocket Launcher or Black Box, or Demomen with the Stickybomb Launcher or Scottish Resistance, may still be able to deal damage, however.
- Pyros should make use of the open edge on the path leading underneath the capture point, as their compression blast can push enemies off.
Stage B, Capture Point 2
- BLU should always be wary of attacks from above when inside the trench. The platforms extending out over the trench offer Pyros and other classes excellent opportunities to ambush from above.
- The corridor leading into the main room offers BLU Medics a staging area to build a charge; BLU Engineers can build Teleporters here if they wish, though due to the proximity of BLU spawn, they may not be necessary.
- Since the capture zone has only one entrance, RED can station a Heavy and Medic on the point to prevent captures by BLU.
Stage C, Capture Point 1
- BLU Soldiers and Demomen carrying the Intelligence can reach the capture point directly with a well-timed rocket jump or sticky jump. RED should keep this in mind when setting up their defenses to prevent a quick capture.
- It is possible for Heavies to get on top of the glass surrounding the capture point, thus allowing them to shoot down at BLU as they try to grab the Intelligence.
Stage C, Capture Point 2
- Because both entrances to the final capture point are in the same room and on the same wall, this part of the map is incredibly prone to being a chokepoint. RED Engineers have multiple places to build Sentry Guns that can target BLU at both entrances. Those on BLU will likely need to build up 1-2 ÜberCharges to break through RED's defense should they have Sentry Guns waiting.
- Additionally, RED Engineers can build Sentry Guns right outside of their spawns on either side of the capture area to deter BLU.
- It is also possible to build on the area surrounding the final capture point, especially along one of the walls, which has a tiny outward overhang. This can prevent BLU Intelligence carriers from being able to progress up into the room itself.
- The long corridor also provides Snipers with an opportunity to kill multiple attackers using the default Sniper Rifle.
- In any case, BLU should not blindly charge the final capture point, but should instead push as a large, collective group to battle through RED's defenses. Multiple Medics may be needed alongside Heavies, Pyros and Demomen, depending on the number of Sentry Guns in place.