Sawmill (King of the Hill) strategy.
| Community Sawmill (King of the Hill) strategy
| Basic information
| Map type
|| King of the Hill
| File name:
| Map Info
|| Cloudy, raining
| Deep Water:
|| Saw Blades
| Map Items
| Health Kits:
|| ×2 • ×4
| Ammo Boxes:
|| ×2 • ×2 • ×2
| Map Photos
General (All Classes)
- Each team has access to ramps leading to the rooftops surrounding the center shed. These can be used to spot enemies coming through the adjacent areas towards the spawn, and alert teammates to their presence. Additionally, the rooftops allow entry into the center shed. The stairs near these entrances are good for picking off enemies down on the main point.
- While capturing the control point, you can use the moving saw blades as cover. This denies enemies the ability to shoot at you from outside of the point and also tend to ward off offenders from getting too close. Though when using them to hide, be sure to move with the saw blades so that you aren't exposed.
- The saw blades also provide an opportunity to those classes with knock back abilities such as the Pyro and Scout. Knocking opponents into the saw blades results in an instant kill, and can be a useful strategy for combat within the center shed.
- The roofs are good for overhead shooting opportunities and make great vantage points for Snipers.
- The fence separating the 2 halves of the map can be used as a platform to crouch jump onto the higher ledge of the enemy territory and is a great place to surprise the enemy.
- The knock back caused by the Force-A-Nature can be used to push enemies into the saw blades, as well as quickly traverse to the rooftops.
- Sawmill has many different routes to take. Use your speed to your advantage to get the first strike on an unsuspecting enemy.
- The cave and deck areas can be used to get behind enemies right after they spawn.
- Mad Milk can be very useful on enemies who are trying to capture as it allows your team to regenerate health while defending.
- The buildings on this map provide a great view to rain down rockets on enemies. Use the Soldier's Rocket Jump to get on top of buildings easily.
- Use the charge attack of the Cow Mangler 5000 on enemies standing on the capture point to quickly dispose of them.
- The Black Box can prove to be useful due to the low amount of health packs on the map.
- You can use your Airblast to push enemies into the saw blades.
- Pyros can utilize the corner sheds as a hiding spot while waiting for an enemy to ambush.
- Most players attempt to capture the point in groups. Use the Detonator at the enemies standing on the point and then take them out swiftly with the Axtinguisher.
- Dropping bombs onto enemies from on top of buildings is a good way to defend and attack effectively. Use the Demoman's Sticky Jump to get onto buildings easily.
- The Demoman's sticky jump ability can allow him to jump over the side fences to surprise the enemy.
- The Splendid Screen/Chargin' Targe and Persian Persuader can be used to navigate the map quickly and acquire hit and run attacks on the enemy.
- This map has a lot of blind spots, for a valuable player like a Heavy, it'd be wise to be cautious of Spies.
- The low amount of health packs can be devastating to a team if there are no Medics available. Take your Sandvich with you for that extra bit of survivability.
- Use the Gloves of Running Urgently to reach the capture point quickly.
- This map has a lot of places for the enemy to make a surprise attack. Use your Shotgun so you won't have to wait for your Minigun to rev-up and escape.
- The Natascha can be helpful to a coordinated team as your team will be able to kill the enemy while they are slowed.
- The Natascha can also slow down players enough to get hit by the saw blades protecting the control point.
- The stairways from either spawn to the control point make for excellent Sentry Gun spots. If equipped with the Gunslinger, this can be used to provide quick supporting fire very easily.
- A Mini-Sentry placed in the corner of the control point room is terrific for stalling the enemies before they reach the point.
- If your Mini-Sentry is destroyed near you, place another one down straight away for a few more seconds to escape. Or Shotgun them to death while they are distracted again.
- The Jag is useful at the beginning of a round to get the edge on the enemy team when constructing a level 3 Sentry Gun.
- Place a Dispenser behind the roof entrance of the control point room to aid your team without it being in clear view.
- Using the Quick-Fix on offense can be excellent as you can keep your teammates protected whilst still being able to capture.
- Low health packs on the map means more enemies running around on low health. Announce the health of the enemy team to your teammates if you have the Solemn Vow equipped.
- Use the Kritzkrieg on defense or offense while paired up with a friendly Soldier or Heavy to clear the capture point quickly and save the team.
- There are only a few long sight lines on the map. Take advantage of these by healing teammates/shooting enemies with the Crusader's Crossbow.
- Survivability is extremely important to most Medics. The Medieval Medic Set can help you and your team live long enough to win the game.
- You can shoot at the control point area from near your spawn room, as well as keep an eye on the rooftops. However, beware that it is easy to get flanked here.
- Spray Jarate onto capturing enemies and allow your teammates to take them out. It is too risky to attempt to kill multiple enemies at once as a Sniper.
- If you spot an enemy in close range, use your Jarate and follow it up with a few critical swings from the Bushwacka to kill them.
- One of the most prominent places for a Sniper to camp out is in the building near the bodies of water respective to the team of the Sniper.
- A more offensive Sniper can climb up the ladder onto the small roof of the capture point room facing the spawn area of the enemy.
- This spot is incredibly useful as it can allow the Sniper to score some easy picks on unsuspecting enemies.
- Spies can take the waterfall side tunnel to the other team's spawn, then climb the crates for easy access to the enemy team's rooftops. Then with the Cloak and Dagger equipped, they can hide behind one of the roofs and see when enemies come out. Then they can time their uncloak and backstab as they pass, without being seen.
- Do not attempt to disguise as an enemy Spy unless you are confident that the enemy team has their own Spies.
- Announce to your team which enemies are on low health. Most players would be stuck on low health due to the low amount of health packs.
- Spies can hide under the stairs in the control point room to pick off people capturing the control point.
- A good place to hide is next to the lower enemy spawn door. This is a great place to hide because many of the slower classes tend to head out this way, providing for easy backstabs.
- This preemptive strategy is one that can be used only a few times before the enemy team begins to catch on.