Well (Capture the Flag) strategy.
| Community Well (Capture the Flag) strategy
| Basic information
| Map type
|| Capture the Flag
| File name:
| Map Info
|| Daylight, sunny
| Deep Water:
| Map Items
| Health Kits:
|| ×4 • ×8
| Ammo Boxes:
|| ×8 • ×10
| Map Photos
General (All Classes)
- Spies and Scouts work wonders here. Due to the sparse nature of the map, a Spy can sap defensive Sentry Guns while the Scouts dart past to pick up the Intelligence.
- Should you pick up the Intelligence, the safest route out would be to take the stairs to the upper level and make your way towards the water passage. Once you're out of the river, the train yard should provide more than enough cover to ensure an easy escape.
- The Scout's Sandman is great for stunning Intelligence carriers in the middle, conserving ammo and allowing the Intelligence to go untouched for a few seconds.
- Well is a good map for Scouts, as its easily navigable layout, largely flat topography and tight corridors means that Scouts can quickly and effectively cover ground, and their Scatterguns can be surprisingly effective.
- The Scout's double-jump ability allows players to circumnavigate the bridges across the moats, resulting in quicker travel.
- Soldiers can rocket-jump onto the train carriages and shed in the middle of the map, allowing them to ambush unaware enemies or dispatch Snipers in the Sniper bays on either side of the map.
- Soldiers need to be careful using their Rocket Launchers in some narrow areas of the map, as they may damage themselves.
- Soldiers can be especially effective when dealing with enemies underwater in the moats. Because of this, you could also hide under a bridge, attacking targets as needed by ambushing.
- With the healthy mix of tight corridors, height advantage, flanking routes and lots of cover, Pyros have the potential to play to all of their strengths on this map.
- When fighting in the train yard, it is extremely advantageous to use the stacked crates to climb atop the train cars. From here, you can drop down behind the enemy for an easy ambush, prevent more mobile classes such as Soldiers from gaining height advantage with your compression blast, or quietly pass over the enemies' heads entirely.
- Once inside the building, head up the middle staircase. From here, you have access to several attack angles, many of which are intertwined. Stay on the move and attack from unexpected angles to keep your opponents guessing.
- If there is a Sentry Gun posted in the Intelligence room, it will most likely be in one of three spots:
- On the ground, directly opposite the Intelligence, beneath the upper level windows.
- At the front of the Intelligence platform, on either level, overlooking all entrances.
- Behind the Intelligence, with a more limited view.
- Due to the size of this room, you should be able to pass all of these safely by edging around the far walls of the room. However, this relies on the Engineer being alone and possibly unaware of your presence. Additional enemies posted in the Intelligence room will make easy work of you as you attempt to make extremely limited movements around the room. The first can be entirely surpassed with careful dodging and smart use of cover. The second should be dealt with by moving above/below the Sentry Gun, depending on where it is and edging it with fire. The third can also be edged by getting behind the point.
- Pyros can use their airblast to push enemies into the path of the train in the middle of the map.
- Pyros can also use their airblast to remove stickybombs placed in choke points.
- The one area of the map where Pyros will be at a distinct disadvantage is underwater in the moats. Pyros are largely ineffective underwater and will be easy targets. If you must go underwater, make sure you have a Shotgun or one of its variants equipped. The Neon Annihilator is also effective due to its guaranteed crits on wet players.
- Demomen can take advantage of the many choke points around the map to place stickybomb traps. Demomen can also sticky jump onto the carriages and shed in the center of the map, and can similarly ambush unaware enemies.
- Using the Scottish Resistance, place a perimeter of sticky bombs around the Intelligence and a few just at the top of each set of stairs leading up to it. Make your way to the upper floor and wait for an enemy. When the enemy runs up the stairs, do not hesitate to detonate that set of bombs. If the blast missed or caused minimal damage, most of the time players forget that not all the bombs get detonated at once, or assume you can't see them and continue on into the next sticky trap that you can then use to finish them off.
- The Heavy is moderately effective at Well. Although his stopping power can dispatch most enemies, he may be placed at a disadvantage in narrower areas of the map, where Scouts can easily kill them using their Scattergun or Bat.
- The middle is very dangerous as trains pass by periodically, allowing slow Intelligence carriers like the Heavy to be prone to environmental kills.
- The Heavy will struggle to capture the intelligence here, due to the many trains that travel through the center of the map. The Heavy can be useful by slowing down players by using his Minigun.
- Build a Teleporter underwater for surprise team attacks. Be sure to warn your team about its location, though.
- You can also add a Dispenser underwater for infinite survival underwater and a Sentry Gun for mind tricks and easy kills on anyone that tries to douse flames or escape from tight battles.
- The Sentry Gun can also push back players into the train and ultimately kill them and allow your team to re-secure the Intelligence.
- Sentry Guns can be used effectively in many areas of the map. Due to the nature of the map, Sentry Guns can block off crucial passageways.
- An Engineer can place his Sentry Gun on the small catwalk straddling the rocket situated above the Intelligence. In conjunction with the Wrangler, this can be especially deadly. Enemy Demomen will struggle to place stickybombs next to your Sentry if it is placed in this fashion.
- The Medic can be moderately effective at Well. Übercharge pushes can be used effectively with Soldiers or Heavies to remove Sentry Guns or to effectively run the oft-risky slalom past the enemy spawn.
- The windows facing the center of the map in each base are perfect spots to snipe opponents from, as each faces a large open area with little defense for enemies. This Sniper bay is also connected to the main Intelligence chamber.
- This Sniper bay can be potentially risky, as Soldiers may fire upon you through the windows. It is also easy for Spies to catch you unaware here, so be on your guard.
- When using the Ambassador, you can make use of the Intelligence room's large open spaces to "snipe" any Engineers you might find defending the Intelligence. As long as you make sure you are out of their Sentry Gun's range, you just need to land a head shot and then a body shot to kill them. You can then disguise and go and sap their buildings. This works even better with the Cloak and Dagger, which allows you to remain hidden when you aren't firing.
- The 'Sniper bays' located on either side of the map are easy targets, as Snipers are often not paying attention. The Your Eternal Reward can be especially useful here, as you can kill a Sniper, and then continue onto the Intelligence room without suspicion, either via the upwards gantries or by taking the normal route on the ground floor.