| Community Badlands (King of the Hill) strategy
| Basic information
| Map type
|| King of the Hill
| File name:
| Map Info
|| Dusk, cloudy
| Map Items
| Health Kits:
|| ×4 • ×3
| Ammo Boxes:
| Map Photos
Badlands (KotH) strategy.
General (All Classes)
- Starting off in Badlands, all players should focus on capturing the point. Later on in the game when defending, players should focus on destroying Engineer bases that are defending the point. Some of the players should also focus on killing Snipers and Spies that are getting a large amount of Headshots or Backstabs.
- Be aware of the water source near the Spawn rooms. If you are burned and need to be extinguished fast, just swim under the bridge to get rid of your afterburn.
- As a Scout, your strategy should be to hit the enemy hard and fast. Use your speed advantage to flank enemies and try to kill ÜberCharging Medics and Engineers making a nest as soon as possible.
- As this is a King of the Hill mode, it usually starts off like an Arena match before the control point is unlocked. In this time, keep the pressure on the enemy's spawn point to give your team enough time to make a defensive perimeter at the control point.
- Use the option of multiple paths given for the Scout to use.
- The Soldier provides the offensive spearhead for any push. In this map, it's best to hang around other Soldiers or Heavies as it's easy to become outnumbered and overwhelmed.
- As soon as the control point is unlocked, you are one of the most deadly classes due to most enemies usually clustering around the central point to capture it as fast as they can. You can easily clear the whole point by rocket spamming towards it while waiting for the slower moving Heavies to arrive.
- You are very good at clearing the control point when it's being captured and also in ambushing enemies around the tight corners of the buildings.
- Since this map only has two water pits that are usually far away from the fighting, it is very useful to employ a hit-and-run tactic, as you may get overwhelmed by Heavies lurking around with their Medics.
- Be sure to Spy check around your team's Engineer bases that are defending the point. This will be come useful for better defense of the point.
- Make use of the valley underneath the capture point to ambush unaware players inside the buildings. The Backburner is a great choice for this type of gameplay style, as you can quickly kill enemies with the provided crits.
- Playing as a "Vanilla Demoman" or a "Expert Ordinance Demoman" will have you furiously playing defense and trying to keep the enemy back. This is best if you want to support teammates and focus on area denial rather than killing the enemy team.
- The "Demoknight" variant is best suited in Badlands. With its many straight areas and narrow lanes, you will easily catch up with an enemy and take their head. It is best to employ an offensive play as you will usually have to make split-second decisions.
- Considering that there is only one point to capture, the Natascha or the Brass Beast can prove to be a secure choice to use, as you may find yourself not moving around as much as you would on the control point version of Badlands. If your team has not captured the point, however, the Tomislav would prove better, as you will be able to enter combat much faster. If your team captures the point, you should consider switching to either of the aforementioned Miniguns.
- If your team lacks Medics, use a lunch box item that you can continuously use, such as a Dalokohs Bar or the Sandvich. If you use a Sandvich, there may be times where it will not be available to use. It's still better than having not having any source of healing with you though. All of your food items can also be used to heal your teammates, but keep in mind that health is sparse and high in demand.
- Consider equipping the Dalokohs Bar if your team has a dedicated Medic taking care of large wounds, you can always have health ready to give to burning teammates if the Medic is not around.
- Engineers can place Sentry Guns on the inside of a wall with a Dispenser beside them to defend against the enemy using the map as a shield for Spies.
- When capping a point, use the Gunslinger to quickly aid your teammates and boost your health. After you have capped your point, use a different Wrench to build more permanent Sentry Guns, preferably the Jag, which will construct buildings faster.
- Try not to use the Southern Hospitality because there are many ways a Pyro can easily reach you and take advantage of your extra fire vulnerability. Of course, if there are few Pyros on the other team and they instead have a lot of Spies, this Wrench may be the best choice with its ability to cause enemies to bleed.
- As a Medic, you are a prime target for Spies. Try to steer clear of the area under the bridge, as this is where Spies commonly hide and can easily backstab you around this area.
- An ideal time to use your ÜberCharge is just as the enemy team makes a push for the bridge. You and your partner should then move onto the point while attacking to halt them from capturing the point.
- Using the Kritzkrieg's Uber would be best on a Soldier since a Critical Rocket can kill a group of enemies at once.
- Snipers can use the windows of the buildings to have a good place to snipe, only showing the top half of themselves can help from damage taken. However, it's an area where Spies can easily backstab you, so be wary. This spot is also close to the Control point, be aware of enemy players that are coming in to capture the point.
- The area around the Control point is wide an open, use this to your advantage to get a good view and aim of enemy players that are capturing the Control point.
- Spies can hide under the bridge outside the respawn of the other team and easily get a backstab. This area is also a good place to hide from Pyros because their flamethrowers won't work under the water. Be aware though if they are using the Neon Annihilator. This weapon will do more damage underwater than on land.
- When burned, a Spy should go under the bridge near the spawn rooms to get rid of the after burn. If Pyros seem to carry a radar showing your presence no matter where you are on the map, consider using the Spy-cicle to offset their fire.