||May 21, 2009 Patch|
(Sniper vs. Spy Update)
| Health Kits:
| Ammo Boxes:
Set in a stormy mountain sawmill, this arena map has its cap point in a large structure atop a hill in the center of the map; beneath which lies a hidden underground spytech base; and above which, pouring down on everything we just mentioned, is rain—the first weather effect to appear in a Team Fortress 2 map. If that previous sentence wasn't long enough for you, replace the period with a comma and add this next part: players must ALSO watch out for the two deadly saw blades
near the cap, which were left on when the previous occupants abandoned it for a less deadly, hilly, rain-swamped sawmill not built on a spybase.
Sawmill was introduced as an official Team Fortress 2 Arena mode map with the Sniper vs. Spy Update. The map has since received official Capture the Flag and King of the Hill configurations that were released with the Classless Update.
Note: If you are having trouble with finding the locations listed here, see the Helpful overview section to see their exact position marked on the map.
- Waterfall: Located on the right-hand side of RED's spawn area, a titular waterfall flows down from a gray cliff into the center of a large pool. Logs form a floating path across the pool, although the water itself is not too deep. A mini health kit can be found in the center of the logs. There is also an obvious 'hidden' path that goes behind the waterfall that can be used in case of watchful enemy eyes.
- The Cave - A cavern makes a wide loop around one side of the map behind the waterfall, and can be defended at either end.
- Log Shed: On the right-hand side of BLU's spawn area is a wide shed, full of timber, standing over a flooded ditch. Another mini health kit sits on a pile of planks within the shed.
- Center Shed: The center of the map is dominated by a large shed that houses multiple entries for either team. Within the center of the shed is the map's control point. Large circular saws move linear to the control point, generate large amounts of noise, and serve as deadly obstacles to players as they attempt to capture the point. Logs are suspended above the area.
- Rooftops - Outside each spawn room are walkways which lead to the roof of the building directly across from them. Another wooden plank connects these rooftops to the Alcoves inside The Mill.
- The Alcoves - On either side of the control point, perpendicular to the sides dominated by the blades, are two windowed ledges, with stairs leading down to the ground floor. These small 'rooms' can be defended by a determined Engineer, if he sets up a Sentry nest early.
Caves behind the waterfall.
Roof entrance to the point.
Side entrance to the point.
Control point timing
May 21, 2009 Patch
(Sniper vs. Spy Update
- Added Sawmill (Arena) to the game.
May 22, 2009 Patch
- Fixed control point not being named correctly on Arena Sawmill.
August 13, 2009 Patch (Classless Update)
- Fixed DirectX8 bug where some models would not be visible.
- Fixed exploit with building Teleporters outside of the map.
October 29, 2009 Patch (Haunted Halloween Special)
- It is possible to clip onto the edge of the BLU spawn roof with explosive jumping.
- It is possible for an Engineer to build on the head saw tracks without the buildings being destroyed by the saws.
- The Head Saws are possible to jam if a player walks into their sides and lets the saws to drag the player with them. If the player then gets stopped by a building or another player, the saw will stop moving until the player dies while continuing to circle and kill anyone who walks into them.
- Sawmill was first seen in the background of the Huntsman update page.