What is the science behind these miracles of technology? Magic, probably.
— Gunboats publicity blurb
The Gunboats are a secondary weapon for the Soldier. They are a pair of modified, metal-reinforced jungle boots used by the US Military during and after the Vietnam War.
The Gunboats reduce the amount of self-damage that is received from rocket jumping by 60%. The damage reduction does not apply to rockets that injure other enemies. They also do not prevent fall damage suffered by the player.
This weapon was revealed as the prize for the Soldier's victory in the WAR! Update.
While this item is equipped, the user takes 60% less damage from the explosions of their own rockets that do not damage enemy players. Concurrently:
- A successful rocket jump is not necessary for the reduction to apply; the rocket can hit any surface and the player can move in any direction.
- The reduction applies to the misfires produced by the Beggar's Bazooka.
- The reduction applies even if the explosion damages an enemy building.
- The reduction does not apply to the Kamikaze taunt.
As a crafting ingredient
- The Gunboats doesn't appear when inspecting it from the backpack menu.
- This item cannot be worn with the shoes or boots cosmetic items, as they occupy the same equip region.
- A gunboat is a type of military vessel created with the purpose of ferrying guns to be used to bombard enemy coastlines.
- The Gunboats can be seen hung next to some stockings by the fireplace behind the Engineer in the True Meaning Christmas comic.
- In an email response, Robin confirmed that the Gunboats would have been given to the Demoman instead if he had won the War! Update.
- The internal file name for the Gunboats texture is
, Conscientious Objector
, Freedom Staff
, Bat Outta Hell
, Memory Maker
, Ham Shank
, Golden Frying Pan
, Necro Smasher
, Crossing Guard
, Prinny Machete
) · Equalizer · Pain Train · Half-Zatoichi · Disciplinary Action · Market Gardener · Escape Plan