Strange Parts are exclusive tools that are only obtainable via crates, with the exception of the Full Moon Kills, Halloween Kills, and Robots Destroyed During Halloween parts which can be found as a random drop. Strange Parts can only be used on Strange weapons. They allow players to track additional statistics such as number of headshot kills or buildings destroyed.
Up to three Strange Parts can be applied onto one Strange weapon. Certain Strange Parts cannot be used on certain weapons; for example, the Headshot tool cannot be used on a Strange Wrench. When applied, it will not count any previous stats. Strange Parts can be individually removed from a weapon using the Restore button in the backpack, allowing the player to remove a strange part of their choosing; however, a part which has been removed will not be returned to the player, and instead will be permanently lost.
Certain parts are only compatible with certain weapons. A table of the restrictions is given below.
These restrictions are based on specific attributes listed in the
items_game.txt file, which do not necessarily reflect weapon functionality. The tables below and elsewhere in the wiki are based on these attributes.
There are some mismatches between weapon capabilities and strange part compatibility which are not bugs, strictly speaking. E.g. the Medi Gun can be used to extinguish team-mates, but it isn't possible to apply the Allies Extinguished strange part to a strange Medi Gun. In this case, it's probably because the Medi Gun takes a few seconds to extinguish burning teammates, but all the weapons that are compatible with the Allies Extinguished strange part work instantly; only the latter mechanism is tracked by the strange part.
|List of Strange Parts|
|Tag Required||Strange Part|
|Can Deal Damage|| 41
|Can Deal Gib Damage|| 41|
| Can Deal Damage
|Can Headshot|| 42|
|Can Reflect Projectiles||42|
| Can Deal
| Can Deal
| Can be Equipped
by Soldier or Demoman
|Can Destroy Sappers||47|
| Can Deal
|Can Deal Taunt Damage||60|
|Can Heal Allies||77|
As a crafting ingredient
|Strange Part||Strange Count Transfer Tool|
- The Strange Part: Buildings Destroyed can be applied to the Chargin' Targe, but cannot raise the counter, even by killing an Engineer hauling an active building.
- The Strange Part: Buildings Destroyed cannot be applied to the Sapper or Red-Tape Recorder, even though destroying buildings is their sole function.
- The Strange Part: Critical Kills cannot be applied to the Ullapool Caber, even though it can be crit boosted.
- The Strange Part: Defender Kills counts kills made while defending the objective, however the counter is misrepresented as 'Defenders Killed'.
- The Strange Part: Gib Kills cannot be applied to the Detonator or the Scorch Shot.
- The Strange Part: Kills While Explosive Jumping can be applied to the Mantreads, but cannot raise the counter, because the weapon requires landing to deal damage.
- The Strange Part: Kills While Explosive Jumping cannot be applied to the Splendid Screen or the Persian Persuader.
- The Strange Part: Kills While ÜberCharged cannot be applied to the Equalizer or Escape Plan, even though a Medic can freely ÜberCharge a Soldier who is wielding them.
- The Strange Part: Posthumous Kills as applied to the Wrap Assassin only increments the counter on direct impact kills with the bauble, and does not count kills from the bleeding that results afterward.
- Any parts applied to Engineer wrenches will only count actions with the Wrench and not with any built Sentry Guns.
- Servers using an altered
tf_playergibsetting will not change the way the Gib Kills counter is counted, only kills that would normally gib will still be counted. Likewise, killing a player who is wearing a Bombinomicon will not increase the counter of a Gib Kills strange part.
- All the strange Flamethrowers do not count gib kills with deflected rocket/grenade, headshots with deflected arrows and kills while explosive jumping on deflected enemy explosives, nor do they track healing done with reflected Crusader's Crossbow bolts. As a result, respective Strange Parts can not be applied.
- Destroying Sappers with any Strange Engineer wrenches will not increase a buildings destroyed counter, however destroying Sappers with a Strange Homewrecker or a Strange Neon Annihilator will increase a buildings destroyed counter.
- Other than strange parts that are directly related to destroying Mann vs. Machine Robots or tanks, no strange parts will gain points for killing MvM robots. However, some parts, such as Strange Part: Allied Healing Done, will continue to track statistics normally in the MvM game mode.
- The filename of the backpack icon for the Strange Part: Taunting Player Kills,
strange_part_conga_killer_large.vtf, suggest that it was originally planned to track the number of Conga dancers killed.